Seeking Ltr With Los.

alobar

After 28 years of flirtation, it's time to put a ring on this bad girl. So Where to call Baan?

BKK- Crowded, noisy, congested, guaranteed respiratory illness over time

but vibrant, accessible, cosmopolitan, Bumrungrad

ChiangMai- huge transient factor, beach-less, visa run options may be hampered because of potential Wa escalation

but generally ex-pat friendly, safer, temperate

Pattaya- worst of the worst as far as the 50/20 situation- and i think you know what I mean. Beaches are na gleub, police blotter more 'eventful' than other spots

but- good proximity to BKK, healthcare

Phuket- Pricey, relatively limited activity, major tourist destination, close to skirmish prone region

Isaan- provincial, less culturally stimulating, diet includes balaa

but more authentic, less expensive

Any thoughts?

quote:

Although subjective, Issan is probably the most "culturally stimulating" area in the whole kingdom. Unfortunately this has its downside! :)

Go with heart and wallet!

quote:

Although subjective, Issan is probably the most "culturally stimulating" area in the whole kingdom. Unfortunately this has its downside! :D

dont go w wallet or heart. go live where you want to. whcih prooly means the village where yor gilr came from.........think twice bout getting hitched sir.

villages are cheap because they are a big black whole of nothingness, good if thats what you like. sitting all day drinking whiskey, then when night comes you drink more, all at your expense :):D

knowing that your neighbors are all sending their daughters to bangkok, pattaya, to be BANK TELLERS.

It would seem to me that you know your way around Thailand pretty well already but that you are not keen to live too far away from all that Bangkok has to offer. I notice you did not mention areas like Hua Hin (not somewhere I would like to live) which has a reasonably large expat community and is not too far from BKK or somewhere like Kanchanaburi (somewhere I would like to live) which has less expats but still has reasonable facilities and proximity to BKK, you could also consider Rayong province. At the end of the day every place has its pros and cons and without actually living there it is difficult to know beforehand whether or not it is the place for you. Good luck with the impending marriage by the way, 28 years is a lot of flirting!!!

quote:

Although subjective, Issan is probably the most "culturally stimulating" area in the whole kingdom. Unfortunately this has its downside! :D

dont go w wallet or heart. go live where you want to. whcih prooly means the village where yor gilr came from.........think twice bout getting hitched sir.

villages are cheap because they are a big black whole of nothingness, good if thats what you like. sitting all day drinking whiskey, then when night comes you drink more, all at your expense :D:D

knowing that your neighbors are all sending their daughters to bangkok, pattaya, to be BANK TELLERS.

Wow great 2nd post! You really know how to make a good first impression! :):D:D Trollish!

ChiangMai- huge transient factor, beach-less, visa run options may be hampered because of potential Wa escalation but generally ex-pat friendly, safer, temperate

What is a transient factor?

I don't think visa run options are hampered; you could easily say the same about Cambodia in the current climate. Also, if you've been coming to Thailand for 28 years then chances are you qualify for a fully legal retirment visa, meaning you won't have to bother with visa runs.

Pattaya- worst of the worst as far as the 50/20 situation- and i think you know what I mean.

I have no clue what you mean with 50/20 situation?

Phuket- Pricey, relatively limited activity, major tourist destination, close to skirmish prone region

It's not close to any skirmish prone region by any reasonable standard. It's not like you suddenly find yourself in Yala on your way to Tescos and back, or even any drive along the Andaman coast and that includes Satun.

Any thoughts?

Yes. I don't see the need to cast this in stone in advance. Go rent in a couple places. Then either keep doing that (moving around), or if you really feel that some place feels best for you then spend more or all of your time there. Go on, be flexible; you've earned it.

It would seem to me that you know your way around Thailand pretty well already but that you are not keen to live too far away from all that Bangkok has to offer. I notice you did not mention areas like Hua Hin (not somewhere I would like to live) which has a reasonably large expat community and is not too far from BKK or somewhere like Kanchanaburi (somewhere I would like to live) which has less expats but still has reasonable facilities and proximity to BKK, you could also consider Rayong province. At the end of the day every place has its pros and cons and without actually living there it is difficult to know beforehand whether or not it is the place for you. Good luck with the impending marriage by the way, 28 years is a lot of flirting!!!

Thanks for the tips. I was waxing a bit less poetically than I intended though- it's Thailand that I'm hoping to put the ring on, and the 'she' i've been flirting with all these years.

Never considered Kanchanaburi- i'll give it a look see.

Choog dee