French Accents

the scouser

To any French speakers.

From time to time I need to prepare word documents in French but have no idea how to generate the accents other than the acute (ctrl+alt+e). How do you produce the grave accent, cedilla and circumflex?

Thanks for any advice.

Scouse.

I'm not a Word expert (always prefer WordPerfect), but on my version of Word 2000 - just go to the "Insert" drop-down menu on the toolbar, select "Symbol", select whichever font you're using and it'll show you a grid of accented characters to use - just click on the one you want to insert it.

Means you'll be doing a number of mouse-clicks to get each character, but it works. Others may know handy short-cuts - but, in any case, it looks like you can set up your own shortcut keys; try experimenting with it.

Edited by Steve2UK

A mon avis tu dois changer les parametres de ton clavier et choisir "Francais", dans Windows, control Panel, settings.....Bonne Chance! :o

You'd probably be just as well-off choosing a US-International keyboard, especially if your keyboard is labelled as an American keyboard. This gives you dead keys for most accents on the 6 vowels, e.g. apostophe + vowel yields vowel with acute, grave + vowel yields vowel with grave, etc. Dead key + space yields the symbol (e.g. apostrophe) you first pressed. (It doesn't recognise 'w' as a vowel - anti-Welsh!) Don't the French use AWERTY keyboards?

Edited by Richard W

I'm not a Word expert (always prefer WordPerfect), but on my version of Word 2000 - just go to the "Insert" drop-down menu on the toolbar, select "Symbol", select whichever font you're using and it'll show you a grid of accented characters to use - just click on the one you want to insert it.

Means you'll be doing a number of mouse-clicks to get each character, but it works. Others may know handy short-cuts - but, in any case, it looks like you can set up your own shortcut keys; try experimenting with it.

That works in WORD and Open Office!!