Beer Chang Faces Stiff Competition Next Year

george

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of a marketing campain, maybe make the beer better.

Thai companies do not like competition.

Are there many European beer manufacturers with breweries in Malay or Singapore which would then sell their beer here?

stout

Heineken as far as I know owns Tiger.. Check how the letter 'e' looks in the names.... As far as I know any beer owned by Heineken has somewhere the same e as in the Heineken label.

Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) coming to Thailand.... India or Malaysia brews it locally ... cant remember which...

Thank god.. American beer is almost here..

This Buds for you!!

Yes, there are downsides to everything!

Looking forward to having more variety anyway, though I definitely won't be drinking that American pish...

Well they can always send the stuff from Europe here as that was the original Budweiser and it tastes GOOD. To my taste in America there isn't any good beer...

Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) coming to Thailand.... India or Malaysia brews it locally ... cant remember which...

This Buds for you!!

Looking forward to having more variety anyway, though I definitely won't be drinking that American pish...

Well they can always send the stuff from Europe here as that was the original Budweiser and it tastes GOOD. To my taste in America there isn't any good beer...

room temperture pommie and european bears? Are you stark raving mad??????? Hard enough as it is to find a cold cold cold beer in thailand and you want us to drink warm pommie piss. You may as well drink it straight from the dogs little fella.

Heineken as far as I know owns Tiger.. Check how the letter 'e' looks in the names.... As far as I know any beer owned by Heineken has somewhere the same e as in the Heineken label.

First prize mate. Take a look. I have included a close up of the Tiger label since the one one the bottle behind the lady is not too clear.

Edited by ratcatcher

Can't drink beer . Have a gluten allergy. Come on Magners

Sorry to hear that mate, NOO I really am but there is always a milkbar close by so do not frett... Magnas are an icecream as we in Australia know them...

Hey Mr Wippie may be driving past with his soft cones also....

room temperture pommie and european bears?

Room temperature is usually said to be about 20 Celsius. You wont find ANY beers served anything near that temperature.

A heavy English ale may be served at 12 Celsius, lighter beers will be served at below 10 Celsius and lagers below 5 Celsius.

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about, especially as continental European beers are usually always served very cold.

Room temperature is usually said to be about 20 Celsius. You wont find ANY beers served anything near that temperature.

A heavy English ale may be served at 12 Celsius, lighter beers will be served at below 10 Celsius and lagers below 5 Celsius.

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about, especially as continental European beers are usually always served very cold.

well if they are not pulled from the esky and hard to hold on to without the stubby hodder on a 40 degree day then mate they are not cold still room tempeture....

5 celcius is a warm pommie beer... A good cold beer has to freeze the throat as it slides down followed by 30 of it's mates cheering it on

This Buds for you!!

room temperture pommie and european bears? Are you stark raving mad??????? Hard enough as it is to find a cold cold cold beer in thailand and you want us to drink warm pommie piss. You may as well drink it straight from the dogs little fella.

I think you haven't looked up where the Budweiser in Europe is. Oldest existing Brewery I think in a monastery in Ex eastern Europe.. We had some guys here a few years ago trying to import it and while it fell trough, we dam_n well tasted it.

Tasted quite well and they had I think about a 1000 years experience in brewing...

For the rest Singha gives me stomach pain and Leo has no taste. Chang at least you can let stand while doing somewhere else. Does anyone know what happened to the green Leo??? There used to be 2 and now only the red one is left...

Also I think Chang has changed the taste during the recent revamp. Anyone agrees with that?

5 celcius is a warm pommie beer... A good cold beer has to freeze the throat as it slides down followed by 30 of it's mates cheering it on

The only reason to serve a lager below about 3 Celsius is to mask the awful flavour it has. An ale served at that temperature would be simply awful, no taste at all.

The only reason to serve a lager below about 3 Celsius is to mask the awful flavour it has. An ale served at that temperature would be simply awful, no taste at all.

A true english reply. If you can't boil the spuds and mushy peas in it the it is to cold. :)

The worst commercially produced ale I have ever tasted was Coopers Pale Ale and their Stout. Simply awful.

The best would probably something from one of the following breweries in the UK

- Dent Brewery

- Coniston Brewery

- Timothy Taylors Brewery

In fact, Australia is NOT a member of ASEAN, but it does have observer status at most ASEAN meetings. I doubt if this would qualify it to export beer to Thailand tariff-free.

Also, I didn't see anything in the article to suggest that non-ASEAN brands would be allowed in tariff free, even if they are brewed in an ASEAN country. I am sure that the Thai beer barons will ensure that all non-ASEAN brands do not qualify for tariff-free entry, so they only have to compete with Bin Tang and Tiger beers (which of course are much better than Thai beers anyway).

Couple of points.

I would think that under the rules of original applicable to the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement, any beer brewed in an ASEAN country would achieve sufficient local content to be regarded as a product of that country.

As far as Australia is concerned, it is a moot point. Under the terms of the Thai - Oz FTA:

Beer, wine and spirits

Thailand immediately reduced its previous 54% tariff on wine to 40%, and will phase the tariff to zero in 2015.

Thailand reduced the previous tariffs on beer and spirits from 60% to 30%. Tariffs will be phased to zero in 2010.

http://www.austrade.gov.au/TAFTA8311/default.aspx

:)

:D :D :D

Good Reporting, and Thanx for the factual information.....the kind we really NEED on this forum, not the incessent one line questions the permeate the forum

I have drank good beer in all the Asean Countries, and have to agree, Bin Tang from Indoneia is very palateable, the Singapore Guiness is great for an after lunch brew, But I will side with Ankor Draft from Cambodia when it is fresh and Ice Cold on a hot day.................Warm Regards

A true english reply. If you can't boil the spuds and mushy peas in it the it is to cold. :)

When you don't live somewhere hot, you don't need your drinks to be at a sub zero temperature. It's unfortunate that to have your icy cold beer in a hot climate, you have to loose all the flavour, to the extent that beers all taste pretty bland.

Of course real beers in continental Europe are not served very cold. They are served at 8 to 12 degrees at the most, anyone getting a Westmalle tripel from the fridge should loose his job, as it is killing the beer.

Of course your average Heineken, grolsch, jupiler, maes or amstel will be served cold, as these are pilsener type beers, but real heavy beer should never be served cold.

Good to see Beer Lao might make an entrance in the supermarket, I now have to get mine from a restaurant. To the person who stated that it was mediocre and that in the US, UK there are far better beers, sorry but I have never been able to find a decent enough American or UK beer, they don't have a beer culture, nor will they ever have one.

By the way, apart from Beerlao, over in Cambodia they make a few beers that are pretty decent as well (anchor and angkor), in any case well above what the Thais are capable of making (with the exception of Phuket lager, which is pretty ok).

A true english reply. If you can't boil the spuds and mushy peas in it the it is to cold. :D

When you don't live somewhere hot, you don't need your drinks to be at a sub zero temperature. It's unfortunate that to have your icy cold beer in a hot climate, you have to loose all the flavour, to the extent that beers all taste pretty bland.

Only two things hot in england the beer and the queen. Moment pls ummmmggghgh need the toilet plishhhhhhhhhhh aghhhhhh. Now that is better so hello beuatiful Regina, Elizabeth did I tell you that you have beautiful eyes? Yes babe you can bring the corgi's what the how I tried an english beer what could be worse. :):D

Great news for drunks all around. Compared to beer prices in the US for similar pissy looking beers like beer chang the price here is outrageously high. A 7-11 worker in the US could afford to a buy one 6-pack (or more for dirt cheap beer) of various beer brands with quality comparable to beer chang per hour (~$8/hour). Compare that to a Thai 7-11 worker making 25/baht per hour can only buy ONE can of beer chang!! The US 7-11 employee is getting at *least* 6x drunker than in Thailand! Why is beer so much for this poor people?

---

Glad to see you didn't miss an opportunity to slam the U.S.. Why was it necessary to compare Thai 7-11 employees with U.S. 7-11 employee? :) What about Malaysia, Australia, Japan, Korea? Did you lose your girlfriend to an American?

To answer your question...beer is so much more for these poor people is because the Thai society values a Thai 7-11 worker at 25 baht per hour.

You can discuss that with the company and tell them you feel the Thai 7-11 employee is underpaid.

Ok, I dug this up.

I was wrong about how long the European brewery exist....(g) but not much....It was somewhere on one of the pages. Whatever I think it was 12xx they started to brew it ....

The must have changed the location as I was sure it was done by monks when America was still unknown....

=====================================

Which Bud's for you? Which Bud's for you?

Which Bud's for you? The dispute arises from the Czech city of Ceske Budejovice, or Budweis in German, where Budvar is located. Nineteen years before the Czech company began brewing there, Adolphus Busch chose the name off a map for a beer brand, first produced by his company in St Louis in 1876. Looking to inject new life in the St. Louis brewery, Busch and his business partner, Eberhard Anheuser, declared their new product Budweiser, the King of Beers, and, like any responsible brand owner, registered Budweiser as a trademark in the US.

For the next 100 years or so, there was no problem -- until both companies started looking to sell their product further afield. The fall of the Berlin wall saw Anheuser-Busch expanding into Central and Eastern Europe, where it repeatedly encountered a continental adversary and namesake that was also busily expanding abroad.

The two Buds initially clashed at a trade fair at the turn of the century. In 1911, they arrived at an agreement to essentially divide the world into two spheres of influence. As John Harley, UK CEO of Budvar explains, “We had an agreement that we wouldn’t sell our beer north of the Panama Canal and they wouldn’t sell their beer in Europe.”

However, while the Budvar brand and distribution network was growing slowly and carefully -- this year will see the first ever consumer advertising undertaken by the Czech brewery in the UK, in the form of 10 print ads in Time -- Anheuser-Busch was expanding at a phenomenal rate to become the world’s largest brewery. As a global forerunner, ignoring the profitable European market rapidly became an impossible caveat for the American brand owners to live with. With increasing competition at home, Anheuser-Busch starting looking further and further afield for growth and increased profits.

Stephen J. Burrows, President and COO of Anheuser-Busch, views Europe as a key battleground: “Anheuser-Busch has the unchallenged rights to the Budweiser trademark in most of the world. Our differences are largely confined to Europe and some countries in North Africa.”

Despite their circumspect, carefully chosen responses (a skill honed, no doubt, from decades of legal disputes), there is a sense of diametrically opposed views that emanates from these two companies -- global versus local. Both claim to be “defending” their rights, yet as often seen in trademark law, attack is often the best form of defense.

Burrows argues the case for globalization: “Anheuser-Busch is strongly opposed to any geographic indication for beer, based on brewery location. Geographic location has no bearing on a beer’s quality -- beer can be made to the same standards anywhere and does not rely on locations for its character.”

Try telling that to Budvar’s Harley, who is vociferous in his defense of the premium category, and who clearly does believe that where a product is made will affect its quality. Referring to Budvar’s ambition to create a new category of product that it will dominate -- the premium imported category -- Harley is quietly critical of those brands that do not retain their traditional methods and locations of brewing, citing Staropramen Breweries’ decision to shift UK production to Lancashire as an example of the trend.

In fact, the UK is perhaps the most interesting market of all in terms of the trademark dispute. Great Britain is unique in that it is the only region where the registered trademarks Budweiser and Bud can be used by both breweries.

As a result, Budweiser Budvar is aggressively targeting the UK market for premium lager, and is focusing on the creation of an entirely new category of product altogether -- one that, Harley explains, it will be well positioned to dominate. “The strategy now is to see if we can change the segment a bit. We think there’s a new premium sector emerging that we are at the forefront of: the imported premium sector. And you’ll see a number of supermarkets and off-licenses creating dedicated imported premium lager sections. The sector seems to be taking off very well; we think it will be seen by the consumer as something that they can buy into.”

The company is plowing extensive resources into marketing Budweiser Budvar in the UK as part of the brand's first international marketing campaign, which includes consumer advertising to supplement its traditional PR-led brand strategy.

Anheuser-Busch is equally forthright in its defense of its own brand strategy. Burrows argues the case for the global brand, citing the undoubted widespread recognition of the Budweiser and Bud brand names “…around the world” and suggests that the names “…are inextricably associated with our beers.”

“We have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the Budweiser and Bud names over the brands’ 127-year histories,” says Burrows, “making them among the most valuable brand names in the world. These trademarks provide the foundation for our beer business, and we aggressively protect them; not to defend them would be the equivalent of abandoning them.”

The dispute is often reported as a classic David and Goliath case. One in which the evil Western multinational is oppressing the plucky local producer. While this simplification makes for good copy, it doesn’t fully reflect the complexities of the situation. Anheuser’s Burrows argues that the case has little or no impact on the Budweiser brand strategy: “We use the Budweiser brand name in three of our top five markets in Europe. So the dispute is not having a significant impact on our international development objectives.”

This view is in stark contrast to that of Budvar, which admits that the long-running battle has had a beneficial effect, defining its brand strategy and enabling it to tap new markets that otherwise might have been much harder to penetrate. Harley explains, “It does give us an interesting angle on the brand. It keeps us fresh in people’s minds, it keeps us fresh in consumer and business press and it gives people interesting stories to talk about in the pub.”

Despite Budvar’s continuing state ownership, Harley is confident that this is a brand that can compete with the bigger players. Part of the reason for this confidence stems from the dispute itself: “We’d compare ourselves to people like Absolut vodka, who are state-owned but still manage to be cutting-edge. In that sense, the trademark dispute has definitely helped. It gives us an interesting political aspect to the brand, the anti-globalization movement is becoming more respectable, and that’s exactly the sort of sentiments that go along with us really.”

One senses from speaking to both companies that this dispute is far from over. Budvar remains the subject of privatization and takeover rumors. If Budvar were to be privatized and sold, Anheuser-Busch would not be the only Western brewing corporation interested in buying it. SABMiller, a merger of South African Breweries and Miller Brewing of the US, already owns Pilsner Urquell, Gambrinus and Velke Popovice in the Czech Republic, while Interbrew of Belgium bought Staropramen of Prague in 2000.

From speaking to both companies, such a marriage seems a long way off. When Burrows contests that “We have no problem with Budvar selling their beer. They just can’t use names too close to ours”, Harley retorts “Budweis has been producing beer since 1260, which is before America even existed.”

For now however, an uneasy détente exists as the unresolved trade mark disputes in various jurisdictions rumble on. There even seems to be some disagreement over who has won what. While Budvar claims South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, Latvia, Australia, and Denmark, Anheuser-Busch cites legal victories in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Denmark, Finland, Nigeria, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, South Africa, Spain, Sweden and Tajikistan. As with consumers, there remains room for confusion. Fittingly, perhaps, since confusion in the mind of the consumer is the acid test when resolving trademark cases.

Neither company relishes the prospect of consumers mistaking their product as something produced by the other. Despite the positive effects of the dispute, Harley wants to “get the message out more that we’re not owned by [Anheuser-Busch] -- and I would imagine they would be quite unhappy if people picked up our beer instead of theirs by mistake.”

Harley gives a wry chuckle, however, when contemplating the vision of an American housewife taking home a crate of the Czech beer in mistaken belief that it is the American product, and thus accidentally converting her husband to Budvar. One suspects that Harley is happy for the dispute and the resulting confusion to run a little longer. As long as Anheuser remains frustrated in its attempts to take a stake in the Czech brewer, the dispute is probably helping Budvar more than hindering it. Perhaps any publicity is good publicity after all.

This Buds for you!!

What is Budwieser if it's American then it can't be good. Keep it out of asia and specifically thailand because Americans have stuffed tis country enough already

Can't you just picture it.......

2 American tourists roaming the streets of Thailand with thier cameras dropped on thier necks wearing those silly hats.

The husband say's to the wife OMG HONEY would you look at that a KFC, you have to take my pic outside of that and look a McDonalds and Burger king keep the camera rolling what a great country so much tradition why didn't we come here sooner.

Hey Honey pop in there and grab me a budwieser will ya. What? They dont have Budwierser? What a filthy hillbilly place this thailand is nothing like home. I Think Obama should bomb the shit out of it and rebuild just like home so we can come back and enjoy the culture.

Edited by marsteele

This Buds for you!!

What is Budwieser if it's American then it can't be good. Keep it out of asia and specifically thailand because Americans have stuffed tis country enough already

Read it your self. Buds from the USA seems to have rice in as ingredients it seems....

Quote:

Originally Posted by herewego

Bud in US is just a trademark, that was taken to show, that they once tried, or better: tricked their customers to think, that they brew their beer in the Budweis style.

Since the 13th century, authentic Budweiser has been brewed in what is now the Czech town of České Budějovice (formerly Budweis). Unlike the various piss waters Anheuser Busch sells as a pitifully poor semblance of beer, Budvar brews several decent to high quality beers. The town is non-descript, but the traditional beer hall in the town center is worth a visit as is the brewery itself for the complementary samples. http://www.budvar.cz/en/index.html

The overly commercialized US brand distributes a more tolerable beverage in some European countries, but it does not meet traditional brewing standards and still cannot be sold in some nations. Why anyone would drink American Budweiser in the States when truly good quality American beers now exist let alone in Europe mystifies this Yank

This Buds for you!!

In the United States, Bud is anyway still better than Miller and the other sh*t.

(As far as you do not drink it “on the rocks”.)

Carlsberg - the famour dk beer - and the brand behind Tuborg, was quite large in Thailand when they worked together with Chang. But Chang cheated them, and so

that joint venture was off. Since then all one can see of Carlsberg here, are old umbrellas, t-shirts, old signs, menu carts etc.

But it looks like that will change: Carlsberg webpage got some nice pictures, too, if one wants to fantasize about it.....

Carlsberg got breweries in the following asean countries:

Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, China and Hong Kong, Cambodia and are huge on those markets. So beer Chang - the worst beer in Thailand - it's time to face a new world.... of real competition and here I think your marketing guys will fail miserably.

This Buds for you!!

Can't you just picture it.......

2 American tourists roaming the streets of Thailand with thier cameras dropped on thier necks wearing those silly hats.

The husband say's to the wife OMG HONEY would you look at that a KFC, you have to take my pic outside of that and look a McDonalds and Burger king keep the camera rolling what a great country so much tradition why didn't we come here sooner.

Hey Honey pop in there and grab me a budwieser will ya. What? They dont have Budwierser? What a filthy hillbilly place this thailand is nothing like home. I Think Obama should bomb the shit out of it and rebuild just like home so we can come back and enjoy the culture.

Man, that's a lot of hate.

Don't hold your breath. It's a well kept secret that the big boys, Chang and Singha, bully retailers into not carrying competing brands from overseas even though they're three times as expensive as local brews. They'll manage to keep imported beers with low tariffs off the shelves as well. Furthermore, the big boys keep Customs in check through bribes to make sure that few beers can ever clear customs. They languish in unrefrigerated warehouses for months.

For more perspective, consider that Thailand has had an FTA with Australia for about three years now and the price of wines from down under are only marginally cheaper than imports from other countries.

Finally, the beers brewed in other Asean countries are merely bottled rainwater, just like the Thai brands.

It's a sad state of affairs when people praise Beer Lao and hope it's coming when we all know the wonderful craft beers that are prevalent in the UK, Germany, Oz and US.

I'll continue my illegal home brewing operation so I don't have to drink the suds of Thailand.

Maybe the former prime minister can make amends by introducing Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Anchor Steam as part of some sort of package deal.