Thailand Gold Price Update

sunnyhor

I was just skimming through the BKK Post and there was a small article stating that many gold shops were tightening up security because gold is at an all time high (18,000 per baht). If you bought low, maybe this is a good time to sell!

BTW: Iam only charging a 25% commission for this information! :)

Gold prices do vary shop by shop but only a little. I just walked past three different gold shops on Sukhumvit and they were all very close on the "buy gold" price. Finely done jewelry brands which sell for prices way over the weight of actual gold (i.e.: Prima Gold) are worth only their gold weight. The workmanship is of little value to any shop because it is usually melted down to recast.

The "chop mark" inside a ring or on the necklace clasp will say where it was made. Usually returning there will garner you the best price in selling it. It is my experience that most of the gold shops in Bangkok know the "chop marks" of the big gold retail shops located in China Town.

I concur with a poster who mentioned the security is tighter now that gold is so high. One of the shops had a shotgun lying in plain sight on the table behind the gold counter, as well as two armed security guys prominently standing at the door.

Gold prices do vary shop by shop but only a little. I just walked past three different gold shops on Sukhumvit and they were all very close on the "buy gold" price. Finely done jewelry brands which sell for prices way over the weight of actual gold (i.e.: Prima Gold) are worth only their gold weight. The workmanship is of little value to any shop because it is usually melted down to recast.

The "chop mark" inside a ring or on the necklace clasp will say where it was made. Usually returning there will garner you the best price in selling it. It is my experience that most of the gold shops in Bangkok know the "chop marks" of the big gold retail shops located in China Town.

I concur with a poster who mentioned the security is tighter now that gold is so high. One of the shops had a shotgun lying in plain sight on the table behind the gold counter, as well as two armed security guys prominently standing at the door.

The Chinatown shops wouldn't buy my gold,I had to wait for the shop I bought it at(10 yrs ago) to open.25 baht chain,too expensive to wear.Nice profit :):D:D:D