Leather Necklaces

ollylama

where can i find leather necklace string? not with a pendant but just the plain string with some kind of clasp. could be woven or just a strip.

i'm also interested in the other options for natural type necklace string.

i checked out that indian/nepalese/hippie shop on the back street of warorot and they were asking too much, a few hundred baht each for what they said was black silk.

If you go to Chiang Mai Plastics you can buy whole spools of kind of waxy coated linen (I think) thread which is great for hanging cool things around your neck with.... then at Airport Plaza, downstairs there is a bead shop where you can find all the findings (is that what they're called?) to make your own clasps etc..... Hopefully you can ask someone where Chiang Mai Plastics is, being directionally challenged, sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't.... remember though it is kind of two shops, you go right out the back and around into the other side.... the thread is in the side where all the beads and ribbons are..... Hope this is helpful..... there are also shops around Wararot that sells beads and findings as well, but I totally cannot tell you how to get to them, I just wander around until I find them usually... hopeless case I am.... :):D

Into leather, are we Olly ? I thought so....

I'm sure the right place is back there in Warorot, but if you want guidance, here's what I'd do:

1. Find someone at a cart in the Night Bazaar selling goods using the same quality n gauge leather as you want n smooth talk them into telling you which shop to go to. Or dropping a hundred or so Baht+ might get them to cough up some answers.

-sidenote to that, they may just do the greng jai thing and volunteer to help you n go with you some day if you're polite n helpful with them, or they think it'll lead to future business for them. They may also be willing to tip you off as they may also be in cohoots with whatever shop you hit up. But it's likely not to be too much, and something you can leverage yourself depending on the volume you want.

2. There's a guy selling high quality handmade leather wallets n other goods at Sunday Walking Street on the NW corner at the intersection just before the Writer's Club n Wine Bar as you walk up Ratchadamnoen from Thapae. I'd ask him where he gets his stuff from n if he has a necklace leather connection if needed. Best bring an interpreter (I know a guy..very handsome too). Anyway, he does custom work too - I had him do my last wallet for me, copied off my fav old US wallet without too many fold outs n other unnnecessary crap they seem to put in wallets. Less bulk is always better.

Keep us posted.