Help On Windows 7 Pricing

livinthailandos

I'll admit I'm a bit confused on pricing so far with windows 7 here in thailand at the moment. I do realize microsoft just got done having a special promotion on prices. I ask because today I just went and bought windows 7 Professional from banana IT and it cost me 7,600 which is 3,000 baht less than the price in the US. I have a idea why. But anyway how much have you guys paid for a windows 7 NOT the upgrade version

I just purchased my copy of Windows 7 Pro at a shop at in Fortune Tower (at Phra Ram 9 station).

It's easy there to quickly jump from shop to shop and compare prices.

I found the range from over 8000B to 6390B. I paid 6390B incl. VAT but later I found a copy for 6290B.

The package is in a generic white cover with all black text saying it was for new computers only and untended for use buy system builders only.

There was a notice that it would only install in certain Asian countries.

The DVD would not upgrade from my unlicensed Windows XP and required a Full install.

The custom install deletes all programs and files and setups.

I performed the automated file, document, and setup backup with the included software but I took my desktop back to the shop where I purchased the computer to install Windows 7.

The install cost me 300B and took 3 hours well worth the money and time because they reinstalled the original software program bundle that came with the new computer.

I just bought a Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack (3 licenses - upgrade only - not full version) - for 130 GBP (a little over 7000b) - I had a friend buy it and send it over to me

I have never seen the RETAIL version for sale in Thailand, they only seem to sell the OEM versions (which is what Chanwit bought) - i did not want OEM as thats supposed to be a single install - i wanted retail which basically allows me to install it on my PC as many times as i want - providing i do not use more than 3 installs at a time.

I got my copy of Ultimate from amazon.co.uk..159GBP (think it now gone up 169GBP) and someone brought it here for me. Now another option..do you know anyone, family, studying in the US or UK, they can get it very cheap under the software for students scheme. ALSO I am fairly certain that only Ultimate will allow installation of the Thai language.

ALSO I am fairly certain that only Ultimate will allow installation of the Thai language.

Correct to some extend. Ultimate is the only version that comes packed with a lot of languages. BUT you can get Thai versions of Windows 7 as well, costs the same most places as the English version, but with Thai interface.

• 1 month later...
It's unlikely that many Thais will pay full retail price for Windows 7 - what are the disadvantages of buying a pirated copy? what benefits do having the real version bring? (other than it being legal and the right, moral thing to do)

Good question which I am thinking of exploring.. I have purchased a licenced copy and it on my office machine. I have an old computer and I was thinking as a test to install a pirate copy and see if there is any difference. I guess the first thing to test would be to downlaod updates.

It's unlikely that many Thais will pay full retail price for Windows 7 - what are the disadvantages of buying a pirated copy? what benefits do having the real version bring? (other than it being legal and the right, moral thing to do)

Good question which I am thinking of exploring.. I have purchased a licenced copy and it on my office machine. I have an old computer and I was thinking as a test to install a pirate copy and see if there is any difference. I guess the first thing to test would be to downlaod updates.

'Moody' copies will sooner or later be found out by M$ (as mine has) through updates and you will get constant reminders to buy genuine.

The DVD would not upgrade from my unlicensed Windows XP and required a Full install.

Unlicensed or not - there is no upgrade XP to 7. Only Vista to 7.

Absolutely not correct. You can upgrade from XP to WIN7.

Perhaps a matter of sematics here:

You can "upgrade" from XP to Win7 (or from Vista to Win7) by doing a clean install, losing all settings and needing to re-install all programs.

You can do an "in-place upgrade" from Vista to Win7 (but *not* from XP to Win7), which keeps/imports Vista settings to Win7 with no need to re-install programs.

It is called the family pak in the US. Don't believe it is sold here. Gives home users a discount for multi computer upgrade. Early on they were on sale for a very good price.

Yep, thats the one. I got a friend in the UK to order it and email the keys over to me :)

so can you use Win 7 Home Premium at a small business?? We don't need Pro except on one machine that might need to run a business software in XP mode.

I know Office Home Edition is not to be used for commercial reasons ie: in a shop! what about windows 7 Home Premium?

Cant seem to find MS licensing to answer this question.

TB..