Money Honey

OK I'm fick,

Just sold my place in India,had it as holiday home but then along came divorce and it became my main home,God how I eventually came to hate India!

Anyway being a restricted currency I am not allowed officially to take money from that country,but there are ways.

Would like to buy here in Thailand eventually,but the exchange is offputting at the present time.Would it be best to bring in Dollars,Sterling or Euros.My probable choice is Sterling as it is so low,stick into a foreign currency account or safe deposit box for a while, there is only one way for it to go.

Advice Please . :)

Edited by jb4446

you are asking advise on committing an illegal act in contravention of foreign currency rules. :)
You say illegal,the whole damned country (India) is so corrupt,the criminals are to be trusted more than any politician

Go any ex pats web site featuring Goa see how desperate all foreign nationals are there to get out,entrapment is the name of the game and Ill take any measure(already taken it) to escape that hel_l hole

Edited by jb4446

I agree with AceFace come and check out Thailand. Bring Euro best exchange rate. You can not own property in Thailand only condo..

You can own property in Thailand; houses, hotels, shops etc..............just not the land they are built on.

Edited by Phatcharanan

If you can - keep your money in Euros - bank transfer is best. The only problem is when you transfer a big chunk of money here: 1. Your Thai Bank will convert it into Baht, 2. They may ask you what's the money is for. 3. If you're not buying property - should you decide to transfer your money out of the country (again) in the future - it can be quite a hassle.

As for Thailand - why don't you rent first for at least the 1st year and see if you like it here.

We've been here for 3 years going on 4 now - and we rent for the first 2 years before finally buying our own condo.

Good luck.

If you can - keep your money in Euros - bank transfer is best. The only problem is when you transfer a big chunk of money here: 1. Your Thai Bank will convert it into Baht, 2. They may ask you what's the money is for. 3. If you're not buying property - should you decide to transfer your money out of the country (again) in the future - it can be quite a hassle.

As for Thailand - why don't you rent first for at least the 1st year and see if you like it here.

We've been here for 3 years going on 4 now - and we rent for the first 2 years before finally buying our own condo.

Good luck.

I think the OP said it is illegal to transfer money out of India, but there are ways.

I think he meant carrying cash in foreign currency into Thailand.

Sorry, you cannot carry cash into Thailand and use it to buy a condo. You first need to open a Thai bank account and then transfer foreign currency into this account from overseas stating the purpose is to buy the condo you have selected. Your Thai bank will convert the foreign currency into Thai Baht and give you some documents that you need to present to the Land department for title transfer. Make sure you keep a copy of such documents if you want to sell the condo and transfer funds out later on.