Sufficient Funds For Uk Visa - How Much Is Sufficient?

When applying for a spouse visa and currently not working (due to being in Thailand). How much is sufficient funds said to be to support spouse, i.e. how much must you need in your bank account?

Would also the intention of seeking employment in UK on return assist in the application or would they simply ignore this?

Thanks

As your wife's visa is only issued for 2 years in the first instance, you need to show that you have enough money to support both of you for that initial 2 year period (if you are not working). Although when I put my wife's application together I could not find any official figures for support purposes, I would think that they possibly use welfare statistics to compare your income/savings etc. Obviously housing costs are also taken into account, but I think that if you have around 15k Sterling in savings, then you should be ok. I am not 100% sure, but I think those that live on benifits receive approximately 7K a year for "normal" benifit living costs.

As for employment when you return to the UK, just state in your sponsor letter that you will be searching for gainfull employment once you have returned to the UK. If you have a CV then include this in your support pack. I think that you only have to show your 'intent' to work.

Anyone know if there is a clear statement on what funds need to be available if one is not in employment?

Good luck.

From MAA4 Maintenance: General requirements

There is no explicit minimum figure for what represents sufficient maintenance. If dependants of the main applicant are going to accompany him / her to the United Kingdom, resources must be available for the whole family unit to be maintained.

The ECO should bear in mind the position taken by the UK Asylum and Immigration Tribunal (UKAIT):

In 2006, the UKAIT in UKAIT 00065 KA and Others (Pakistan), strongly suggested that it would not be appropriate to have immigrant families existing on resources that were less than the Income Support level for a British family of that size.

More information is available on the British & Irish Legal Information Institute website (BAILII)

If it is more likely than not that the total amount that the applicant and sponsor will have to live on will be below what the income support level would be for a British family of that size, then it may be appropriate to refuse the application on maintenance and accommodation grounds.

and MAA10 Assessing adequate means of maintenance

The following list, which is not comprehensive, is intended as a guide to the factors which may need to be considered when assessing means of maintenance:

the applicant’s past and current employment;

do the applicant’s / sponsor's educational qualifications and any other skills or qualifications offer a reasonable chance of obtaining employment? If so, that should be viewed as sufficient to meet the maintenance requirement without having to make further enquiries.

the sponsor’s current or proposed employment;

any plans the applicant has for employment in the UK;

What is the unemployment situation in the area in which the couple intend to settle? High unemployment in a particular area or amongst a certain age group with particular skills (or lack of them), is not in itself sufficient to show that the maintenance requirement has not been met. It would be a relevant factor if the couple’s plans were not realistic or if they did not have any skills or qualifications.

any arrangements which have been made, or could be made, by the sponsor, any other relatives, friends or contacts in the UK in connection with the plans for employment;

satisfied that job offers are genuine and the work likely to last for the foreseeable future?

any support which will be forthcoming from others.