Availability Of Citalopram/cipram/celexa In Thailand

chemist

Hello everybody!

I am not in Thailand right now, and I am very interested in if anybody has bought this antidepressive medicine in Thailand recently. I have checked the MIMS database, but I could not find it there. I have also, on the phone, talked to a very respectable pharmacy in the Silom area in Bangkok and they claim that this drug has been discontinued in LOS. (Please note that I am not looking for Lexapro with the active ingredient escitalopram; there IS a difference in effect between citalopram and escitalopram and that has been proven in many clinical trials.)

Anyway, I bought a box of Cipram in Bangkok about two years ago so it was certainly available then. So again, the question is if anybody out there has seen or bought citalopram (brand or generic) recently anywhere in Thailand.

Thanks in advance! :)

Chemist

Edited by chemist

I can empathize. When I moved here, I was dismayed at how many of my meds were not available - 'don't import them here.' I went into a pharmacy across from a university hospital in a small city in Issan. No, they don't have it, you won't get it in Thailand, not in Mims. Went to the other pharmacy a few doors down. She had one of the meds in stock, and was able to get all the others in a day. And while I know that counterfeit meds can look like the real thing, the meds and their boxes look right, and more importantly, they function properly. And I see that a year later, they're listed in Mims.

It took a lot of legwork and driving around. I'd suggest you bring a 3-month supply (with prescription, pharmacy-labeled bottles, and a letter from your doctor on his letterhead). I've always declared my personal meds when coming through customs, and have never had a problem because of the documentation. Once you're here, you can make a concerted effort to find Citalopram.

Best of luck to you!

As I have recently learned, some medicines of a certain class are still available, but not at most everyday pharmacies. Lomotil for irritable bowel syndrom used to be readily available over the counter here, no questions asked. Now I have yet to find it, except in hospital pharmacies. Legally you don't need a prescription for it, but practically you do.

• 10 months later...

I would like to know also that where i could find Citalopram in Bangkok? It seems almost impossible.

I have ask atleast 5 hospitals and tens of pharmacies and no have mister,,,

I found it at one place in Khaosan long time ago but they dont have it also anymore.

Btw, it cost 2000b for 28 tablets which is 25 times more than in my homecountry. Im not joking.

Anyway i would pay this 2000b baht price if i could find the medication now,

have only few left and after this my panic attack is gonna be so bad that i can not live from room anymore:(

I hope someone can help.

The drug is approved for use in Thailand but apparently no one is licensed to import it as no brands show. For sure it is not and never has been locally manufactured.

Possibly the drug company that used to import it lost its license to do so, or chose not to renew it.

Lexapro is still here.

If coming from abroad, bring it with you. If already here, and if Lexapro doesn't work for you, only thing I can suggest is to try consulting one of the docs at Monoram Hosp (private pysch hosp in Bkk), possibly they have a stock of it. They'd be the most probable ones if anyone has it.