Gymnastics In Cm For Children

zippydedodah

The only info i find on TV is from 2004 or so.

We are looking for gymnastics classes for our 6 yr old daughter. She previously had about one year of gymnastics on a weekly basis in San Francisco before we moved here and she really enjoyed it.

Is there any update to the previous thread? I read that thread and one poster mentioned he had his 4 yr old take a 2.5 hour class. That does not make sense to me as in SFO, at that age, the maximum class time allowed was 25 minutes.

any referrals or info are welcomed.

thanks

There is a gymnastic class for children in Suthep road. But it's in Thai.

I know it because a friend of mine (not Thai) put her children there (not anymore, already went back to home country).

But I dont know anything about schedule or fee. I can ask her more if you are interested.

The location is in a building as shown in the picture (not clearly visible). Just go inside, you will see a building in the location of the red arrow.

http://www.mapjack.com/?JuZyUfBXaciD

post-62308-1258326487_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What is the likelihood of coaching at a place like this in Cm? Is it impossible or do you just need a work permit like you would for teaching english? I have 11 years of experience coaching and was a high level competitive gymnast for many years in the states. I know Thailand isn't known for gymnastics so it doesn't seem like there would be a multitude of Thais who would be able to coach. Thanks.

What is the likelihood of coaching at a place like this in Cm? Is it impossible or do you just need a work permit like you would for teaching english? I have 11 years of experience coaching and was a high level competitive gymnast for many years in the states. I know Thailand isn't known for gymnastics so it doesn't seem like there would be a multitude of Thais who would be able to coach. Thanks.

my daughter attends CMIS, the school listed in the post below. The school IS actively looking and advertising for a gymnastics teacher. They have all the equipment (as shown in the link), but the teacher went back to USA. They could provide the work permit, they are very well established here in CM. From what i have been told, the salary would be whatever was paid in fees by the parents... so effectively, the more kids you attract, the more $$ you might make.

give the school a call if you are seriously interested. I know many of the parents have been clamoring for a class again - which is why i started this thread again.

zippy

Wow! That is promising! The only problem is we won't be in CM until July/August 2010. However, I am very interested in coaching gymnastics! I take it the mix of children attending CMIS are a mix of international and Thai students? Most speak English? Would it be easier to get the work permit if I were to also teach English at the same school? Thanks so much for your replies. This is exciting for me!

I thought you were here in CM already... hmmmm.... i am not sure what the school is going to do for next academic year. I believe that they still want to do it. They own all the equipment and have the space, so i think it is just a matter of finding the right person.

It is an international school, taught in english and all kids must speak english pretty well. As for teaching english there, i doubt that is a possibility, but you should check. This is a christian school and most/many teachers find their way here through their church activities.

Lastly, they do follow the american school year schedule, so if they don't find someone for next semester (starting in Jan.), then the next school year (starts in August 2010) would probably be the start date.

Again.. i encourage you to contact Mr. Potter at the school and check out their website.

Thanks for the info. My husband I plan our move to CM toward the end of the summer. My original plan is to teach English, however, if I could also coach gymnastics while I'm there, that would be fantastic. I have top notch credentials, and have had some of the best coaches in the world coach me. I know what I'm doing. I am a current professional member of USAG and, as I stated before, have eleven years of coaching experience. I also have a BA in history and plan on obtaining my TEFL when we arrive in CM. Is it to soon to contact the school? I would be happy to do so, although I would like to learn more about their program before committing to something so far off. (hours of workout. number of kids. age of kids. co-ed? expectations. recreation vs. competitive. type of equiptment. goals. et cetera....) This is something I am very interested about. I know it's a ways off, but I think it is something that could be very promising, on both sides. Thanks for your time.

-K

perhaps we could continue the conversation offline... why don't you PM me if you want more of my perspective on the matter. As it is, you can check the school website and go from there... i don't think it is too soon, actually. We pursued my daughters acceptance into the school almost a year in advance.... if you know your plans are firm... it won't hurt to inquire now.

not sure what you mean by standards as published by school......

I am referring to published information that was made available to the public on the school website in the weekly newsletters.

In the newsletter it said that the salary (might have said payment) would be the "fees" paid by students parents for the class.

Yes, it raises some questions to me too... since the equipment is owned by the school and the class is held on school grounds, i imagine that the regular school insurance would cover the class.... but the salary - well, salary implies a clear contract relationship between teacher and school and therein lies the rub... vis-a-visa.....

anyone interested in teaching should really take up the matter with the school office....

zippy; the school did charge students who participated in various sports but after numerous complaints/or what ever, they decided to eliminate that. Some uniforms and supplies are required and sold at school, but the requirement to pay additional monies above tuition for a sport does seem to go against past school practice. Yes, there has been a Administration change, many teacher changes, tuition increase, but paying teachers by (piece work, my term,) seems a new concept for a International School.

zippy; the school did charge students who participated in various sports but after numerous complaints/or what ever, they decided to eliminate that. Some uniforms and supplies are required and sold at school, but the requirement to pay additional monies above tuition for a sport does seem to go against past school practice. Yes, there has been a Administration change, many teacher changes, tuition increase, but paying teachers by (piece work, my term,) seems a new concept for a International School.

interesting information... i was not aware (this is our first year there, with my daughter in 1st grade) of the history of the concept/issue. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. Thanks for the information.