Thailand Post Held My Parcels

Hi all, I sent 3 parcels last week via Thai post, sent overseas, each being small packages with personal effects in them. I got a letter today from the main post office at Suvarnabhumi saying the parcels had been held there and I needed to go in so they could open them and check the contents before they are cleared.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Do they try to ask for any money?

Never had that happen. Strange. I would think they would just x-ray them if in doubt. What are the items, if I may ask?
just gifts, a couple of small books, and a couple of little ornaments.

Dunno what to tell you. Maybe you should go see what the holdup is about since you are local. Good luck.

Never had that happen. Strange. I would think they would just x-ray them if in doubt. What are the items, if I may ask?

just gifts, a couple of small books, and a couple of little ornaments.

Maybe they X-rayed them and noticed small Buddha's ? :)

Strange that they check parcels going out of the country; there must have been something suspicious enough to have them checked and call you.

LaoPo

First; the courtesy for notifying you and not opening the packages are to be respected.

secondly, depending where the parcels/packages are destin for will be a factor as well as the contents of declaration.

-as one commenter has noted, if you had purchased religious affects (Buddha, etc) they are subject to inspection.

i believe all buddha image's are forbidden to leave thailand by any means.

Not strictly true....Mrs Soutpeel sent buddha statues in the post to my relatives and yes they were sprung at the post office and they refused to send them, but she hand carried the same statues to the relatives when we went on holiday with no issue at the airport..

So if the OP put buddha statues in the post, what has occured is not strange and yes they would contact him as this is what happened when Mrs Soutpeel tried the same thing..

1. Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed.

(more information contact to 0 2628 5032)

2. Reproductions of antiquities can also be exported with licenses.

3. Procedures to obtain a license for export of antiquities or Buddha images:

3.1 The following documents should be produced together with the application form :

(a) two copies (3x5 inches) of front view photograph of the object(s)

(B ) a photocopy of the applicant's passport (in case of export of Buddha images the photocopy of passport must be certified as true copy by the related Embassy or Consulate in Thailand.)

3.2 Bring the object(s) and the documents to apply for a license at any of the following places:

(a) Office of Archaeology and National Museums, 81/1 Si Ayutthaya Road, Theves, Dusit, Bangkok, Tel: 0 2628 5032

(B ) Chiang Mai National Museum, Superhighway Road, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai, Tel : (053) 221-308

© Songkhla National Museum, 13/1 Jana Road, Tambon Bohyang, Amphoe Muang, Songkhla, Tel : (074) 311-728, 311-881

(d) Thalang National Museum, Tambon Si Sunthorn, Amphoe Thalang, Phuket, Tel : (076) 311-426

3.3 Please allow 4 working days for license issuing process

Thanks to all for your replies. Actually the ornaments weren't Buddha statues, nor nothing even remotely similar.

I'm fairly surprised myself, and had thought it ws good that they did not open the parcel until I am there, still I was very surprised.

OP: keep us posted on the out come of your parcels, it should be interesting. If for some reason you did something wrong remember to always be respectful. You shouldn't get much more than 50 years. Let us know which prison you are in so we can send you a care package. Best regards. :)

OP: keep us posted on the out come of your parcels, it should be interesting. If for some reason you did something wrong remember to always be respectful. You shouldn't get much more than 50 years. Let us know which prison you are in so we can send you a care package. Best regards. :)

ahh, dont say that! Actually I am a bit worried about them planting something in the boxes, you hear horror stories about stuff being planted an tourists. Though the fact that they haven't opened the boxes is good.

Strange that they check parcels going out of the country; there must have been something suspicious enough to have them checked and call you.

LaoPo

Not strange at all, someone might put a bomb in a parcel to blow up a 'plane.

OP there's not a clock in one of them is there???

LaoPo

Not strange at all, someone might put a bomb in a parcel to blow up a 'plane.

OP there's not a clock in one of them is there???

no clocks mate, I'll let you know the outcome.