If You Where Going To Buy A New Phone.............

TheVinylMan

Hi.

I just got my boyfriend a Samsung Jet (8003) for his birthday and that phone is AWESOME. Touch screen with really good vibration feedback (intensity adjustable!), a gazillion options to fiddle with, superb flash with the camera (5 MP and the flash REALLY lights things up), 2 GB internal memory and 8 GB micro-SD card (came with the phhone), 3G, WiFi and good battery performance.

It even got GPS and plays YouTube videos :)

Get it for 13,500 Baht at MBK with full warranty.

Best regards.....

Thanh

There are plenty of nice new phones available...(Prices from Jaymart)

- Samsung Jet (16.500THB)

- LG Arena (13.900THB)

- LG GD900 CRYSTAL (18.900THB)

- MOTOROLA A3100 (13.900THB)

- Nokia 5800 Express Music (11.360THB)

- Sony Ericsson Aino (16.990THB)

I myself have a Samsung Omnia i900 which i am now considering selling at a very resonable price, its a nice touchscreen smart phone with 5 MP camera, gps navigation ++++ (New price today in JayMart is 22.900THB) If anyone is interested feel free to pm me...

Edited by Archimedes

Im also looking for a phone to replace my N95.

What I love about my N95 is its camera 5mp, and the GPS (with voice navigation).

What I don't like is pull mail. I want a phone which has at least 5mp (more preferably), GPS (with voice nav is a must) and push mail. I dont mind paying top dollar.

Any ideas? Oh and I odnt care about touch screens, I find them to be unwieldy and unreliable.

Ps OP sorry for the hijack but you have some great suggestions there, if none of those suit you might be ok with the N95 even though its a bit long in the tooth these days its still a first class phone, with better specs than many phones that have come out since. It will also show youtube, facebook, twitter, gmail, skype, download podcasts via wifi etc) In fact its so good I doubt I can find something that betters it, and that includes the iphone.

Im also looking for a phone to replace my N95.

What I love about my N95 is its camera 5mp, and the GPS (with voice navigation).

What I don't like is pull mail. I want a phone which has at least 5mp (more preferably), GPS (with voice nav is a must) and push mail. I dont mind paying top dollar.

Any ideas? Oh and I odnt care about touch screens, I find them to be unwieldy and unreliable.

Ps OP sorry for the hijack but you have some great suggestions there, if none of those suit you might be ok with the N95 even though its a bit long in the tooth these days its still a first class phone, with better specs than many phones that have come out since. It will also show youtube, facebook, twitter, gmail, skype, download podcasts via wifi etc) In fact its so good I doubt I can find something that betters it, and that includes the iphone.

It seems that most of the current and new models are touchscreens, but there are some exceptions.

A nice upgrade from N95 is Samsung i8510 with 8MP Camera, GPS and Symbian S60 OS which is the same as n95 so the transition would be easy.

Review at GsmArena

Review at PhoneArena

Another alternative would be the Sony Ericsson C905 8MP Camera . Not a smartphone but it does have GPS.

Review at GsmArena

Review at PhoneArena

Edited by Archimedes

For somebody who is gadget mad.......... and likes all the hi tech toys.......... but has got BIG hands and doesnt like small keys what phone would you go for and why?

within a 15 to 20k baht budget preferably :-)

A little bit over budget, but very nice ones:

Nokia N97 Mini (About 21.000) Review...

Samsung Omnia II (About 23.000) Review...

"Gadget" phones with 12 MP Camera...

Sony Satio

Samsung Pixon 12

Comparison Review...

Edited by Archimedes

• 1 month later...

Can't justify spending more than $300 US for a mobile phone...and even then I anguish over such a thing...lol. Mobile phones and sunglasses are easily lost and/or broken so I would be in constant anxiety about losing or breaking a 20,000 Baht phone. That's enough money to buy a nice new netbook...lol. Anyway, I'm gonna splurge and give the Ciphone C6 a try. I would go for another clone but I want the Windows mobile OS for MS Office files.

Now the wait is on to see if it slides through Thai customs without getting snagged.

I've received many packages in Thailand and one was randomly searched and a nice duty placed upon it.

Crossing my fingers that this gets through.

For low budget phone, i recommend LG KS360. It has QWERTY keyboard (great for big fingers), EDGE connection, MP3, video, bluetooth, memory card. I own one and been using it to post in TV since my first post. :) Price around 6,000 baht. If I'm not mistaken there will be Android version too.

I'd like a Motorola Droid (the present state of the art with Google's Android OS), but you can't get them here. I have resigned myself to waiting for the Google Nexus, which is *rumoured* (who knows) to launch in January, and you'd hope it would tie into all of Google's services well. It's a GSM phone so I have this theory that Google intends to market it planet-wide, rather than US-wide.

But if you can't wait and have plenty of money buy an iPhone. I can't bring myself to buy one because its Apple (and I want to learn to programme Android OS), but I have to say its the best phone I've ever seen.

Edited by Crushdepth

Don't you screw the touch screen up though if you treat it as a phone and chuck it in your pocket with coins, keys, etc. ?

My normal phones last about a week before they are all scratched to hel_l. Doesn't bother me too much, if at all, but would if I needed to touch the screen to enter a command.

My normal phones last about a week before they are all scratched to hel_l.

iPhone - you have to do something very special to scratch a glass screen. Only sand can really do it. Anything else that might be in your pocket, including keys, won't scratch it. It's fun to show off actually - people look at me like I am mad when I take a knife to the iPhone screen, but, magic of physics, glass is stronger than steel, so it doesn't scratch :)

Those people who don't like touch screens - get over it and get an iPhone. It had the first touch screen that was usable, and to this day it's the best touch screen phone out there.

I know everyone has it by now, but what are you going to do - get a second best phone just to be different?

Honestly, the others have been playing catch-up for 3 years now, and they have produced a dizzying array of phones, and more importantly they have considerably improved their offerings. The gap isn't as large as it used to be. But the iphone is still tops. Android, BB, and Palm are all knocking at the door, even Windows Mobile manages to look decent on the surface.

For low budget phone, i recommend LG KS360. It has QWERTY keyboard (great for big fingers), EDGE connection, MP3, video, bluetooth, memory card. I own one and been using it to post in TV since my first post. :) Price around 6,000 baht. If I'm not mistaken there will be Android version too.

My daughter really liked this but looked up the reviews on the internet and it actually has some quite bad reviews: keyboard stops working quickly, unreliable reading of memory stick, slow software. It's just under 4,000 in Pattaya now. She found another one, the LG500 "Cookie" which for another 1,000 baht get much better reviews.

Would love to get an Android, but they're all currently over 20,000 - no way I will pay that kind of money for a phone not made of solid gold. I don't think you will ever be able to run Android successfully on one of the cheaper phones due to cpu limitations. Android is still a pretty heavy OS.

After using a Nokia E51 for two years, I have to say that it is the best phone I have ever had. It has not had an easy life. It got wet during the last Song Kran and it quit working. I took it and had it repaired for a grand total of 300 baht. It still works as good as new even after being dropped a couple of times..

It has WiFi and the two megapixel camera takes amazingly good pictures. I am concerned about replacing it when it dies and thought the E52 was the answer. The E52 has better battery life, a 3.5mm audio jack and USB charging. After reading all the reviews complaining about various problems, I'll wait for the next model.

I have a GPS and don't really want GPS on a phone. I don't want a touch screen and a bunch of other crap that I would never use. I have a computer for those things.

If the E51 had a 3.5mm audio jack instead of the 2.5mm, USB charging and increased battery life, it would be perfect. I strongly recommend the E51 until something better comes along.

If the E51 had a 3.5mm audio jack instead of the 2.5mm,

Someone said this works flawlessly with E51 in the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-2-5mm-3-5mm-Ha...nDateDescending

The last time I was in the US, I wanted a good set of earplug head phones. They were all 3.5mm. Radio Shack had one of those adapters and yes, it works fine but is kind of a pain to use. It's just a little extra piece to try to keep track of.

I actually bought a new Nokia Xpress music phone with the 3.5mm audio jack when my E51 got wet. I was very disappointed to find that it wouldn't play my Audible audio books. It plays MP3 and MP4 fine but won't play the Audible format books. The standard Nokia ear phones that come with the phone leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks for the tip.

but, magic of physics, glass is stronger than steel, so it doesn't scratch

Harder than steel. Sorry, just having a nerd moment...

Bazinga! (*)

You Sir, are, of course, correct! I might add though, that if we up the nerd ante a little bit, the term hardness itself is not a well defined physical property of materials. For example, at 3000 feet per second, water is harder than most steel. Steel is still malleable at this speed, while water is more non-giving. A quarter-inch thick plate of steel will be dented by a drop of water if they collide at this speed.

(*) and if you are a nerd you will know where that expression comes from :)

Edited by nikster

I'm an LG fan. I was wondering if any of TV members here own or owned the LG Chocolate BL40. Would love to hear the experience. :)

Perhaps start a new thread?!

I was intrigued by its form factor but in actuality it's really a huge phone. Very large! Haven't seen any place where I could play around with the phone, and didn't want to ask because I am not going to buy it - I just want to see how well it works in action.