Getting Engaged

danlrob

I guess it comes back to the type of relationships these guys must be in, washed up middle aged Men a string of failed relationships behind them, they can come to Thailand and get a new wife and treat Her more like a possession than an equal. Who really cares what her beliefs are, she will do as she is told so long as I am paying the bills.

You seem to have the predator vs prey relationship confused a bit.

"I have done much reading on Thai traditions...I have done too much reading."

Too much reading, and not enough doing. You can read about riding a bicycle, but that certainly doesn't prepare you for actually riding a bicycle. I'm no expert, but getting into a relationship with a woman who is poor, uneducated, and a single parent seems that it would be fraught with problems from the very inception. Hang on to your hat. It's going to be a wild, and expensive, ride.

So you guys respect Thailand, its people and traditions yet you speak about not buying into supporting the family etc. I just don't get it, there is an onus on the daughters to support the parents whether they are working as prostitutes or Doctors, I have a Thai friend now working here in Australia she sends money home to the parents, when my girlfriend was working in Bangkok she sent money home long before I was ever on the scene. So are you against your partners supporting there family or just the idea you might have to fork out a little cash now and then, for the most part that is what we are talking about "a little cash" are you guys that stubborn or hard up you are happy to see your partners loved ones starve.

Threads like this just show why Thais look and Farangs with amusement, it has nothing to do with our gullibility it has more to do with Farangs perceived superiority over Thais.

Somehow I suspect your 'friend' is not earning enough money to pay her family herself - she's relying on her husband to pay it.

Culture and tradition really doesn't come into it, if they can find someone who will give money to their family, they will take it. Unless they know they will lose their cash cow in the process, and stand little chance of finding a replacement.

If you honestly think the Thais don't think we're gullible and stupid beyond belief, you're living in a parallel world. They look at the women farangs marry - which tells them everything they need to know......

So you guys respect Thailand, its people and traditions yet you speak about not buying into supporting the family etc. I just don't get it, there is an onus on the daughters to support the parents whether they are working as prostitutes or Doctors, I have a Thai friend now working here in Australia she sends money home to the parents, when my girlfriend was working in Bangkok she sent money home long before I was ever on the scene. So are you against your partners supporting there family or just the idea you might have to fork out a little cash now and then, for the most part that is what we are talking about "a little cash" are you guys that stubborn or hard up you are happy to see your partners loved ones starve.

Threads like this just show why Thais look and Farangs with amusement, it has nothing to do with our gullibility it has more to do with Farangs perceived superiority over Thais.

Don't lump us all in the same room, Nick. There are a few that are quite comfortable with natural and instinctive social and familial extensions, without the worry and angst of hanging-on to the deep imbedded character of Western 'self', 'indivuidualism', and vacancy of communal efforts. One of the principle reasons that many Farang don't get on well here is their conditioning as such. Such broad community, social, and familiar extensions are not instinctive throughout the Western character and social infrastructure.

Somehow I suspect your 'friend' is not earning enough money to pay her family herself - she's relying on her husband to pay it.

Culture and tradition really doesn't come into it, if they can find someone who will give money to their family, they will take it. Unless they know they will lose their cash cow in the process, and stand little chance of finding a replacement.

If you honestly think the Thais don't think we're gullible and stupid beyond belief, you're living in a parallel world. They look at the women farangs marry - which tells them everything they need to know......

Are you kidding, I know Her husband/Boyfriend contributes to the cost of there housing etc. But even working in a crappy job here in Australia She takes home $650au a week which is around 20k baht.

I can assure you that is enough to support Her and Her family.