British Woman Raped In Thailand After Two Men Dragged Her Off The Street

george

Well personally I feel for the woman and dont think there is any need to speculate on details we dont know or create stories from nothing or to just worry how it will affect the tourist industry or to label some national groups. Rape is a well bad thing. Sometimes the responses on these threads amaze me.

I agree with you completly. Perhaps more comments from posters will clean up some of the threads here. The mods have deleted posts but they must have one hel_l of a job policing threads like this.

In my humble opinion, more posters need to ostrasise these low life posters and more openly criticise them.

Good on you, hammered.

I agree.

Aside from this though, I do find it funny the tangents most people on here go off on. Mis-understanding each other, flaming people because they dont agree with someone elses opinion. Why does everything on here have to turn into an arguement?

Thats why I dont bother posting. Too many people thinking that they are the ones that discovered Thailand, that it was all roses when they arrived and now look what everyone else has done. Putting Thais down because their country is sooo much better, etc. etc.

Pattaya is not dangerous IF you are sensible. Stick to the popular places with lots of tourists, dont go down dark soi's, dont respond to geering Thai men, avoid any altercations between people, dont get blind drunk, if you are unsure or uncomfortable leave the situation immediately. Turn the other cheek if something happens. Just as you would in any other country. Saying that, I do think that certain areas of Pattaya are to be avoided at night, but the same goes for most towns/cities in Thailand and the world.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's just that I come on here ocasionally to check the news and INVARIABLY see threads going in the same direction...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many posts here.

One said - this doesn't happen often in Thailand - you gotta be joking it happens very often but mostly between the locals.

Couldn't happen in daylight - you gotta be joking - thais do not like to intervene where a man and woman are fighting - much more fun to watch the fray - I have seen it many times and don't get involved as being a farang here I would likely get the blame for anything that happened to either party - sad but true.

How can it happen near a police box? - the police are interested in nothing that doesn;t net them money in some way or form - most of the time this is the case.

She must have been involved in drugs or some other crime - complete conjecture and anyway even if it were the case does that justify raping the girl? I think not.

Why isn;t it reported here? - you are strongly discouraged from reporting anything bad that could otherwise be whitewashed - if you are a foreigner here and post anything derogatory on the internet that upsets some boffin somewhere you will be called upon!! Thailand doesn't like bad publicity - it doesn;t make money.

Pattaya is a cesspool - well it certainly has elements that might be described as that but then Pattaya is not a small place and most of the problems are in the small area where the bars and girls are. There are plenty of respectable people living there.

Why isn't it cleaned up? - see section on police above - they are involved

Another nail in the coffin.... - there are plenty of nails in that coffin and eventually Thailand will probably go the way of Spain and the Costa del Sol where eventually tourists got fed up with being treated like some underclass and being ripped off and chose to go elsewhere. Might take a while though!!

Personally I would like to see an unfettered press, a responsible police force and an uncorrupt civil service and justice system and an end to the racist practices against foreigners but that is just a pipe dream - maybe my children here and those of many other foreigners will be able to change some attitudes but it will take a couple of generations and some education to change the egotistic personalities produced by the old family values and education system here.

I wish the poor woman well and hard labour for 50 years for the perpetrators less their appendages sounds an excellent and just punishment - dream on!

"... most of the illegal brothels in Bangkok that confined underage foreign prostitutes against their will were located within 50 metres of a police station or police post. Repression of crime is not the primary business of the BIB. It is an armed mafia in uniform ..."

Yes, it is quite true. Most westerner seem to forget this. Just to have a shirt with "police" does not mean there is a minimum similarity with western police.

I´ve red, after one of those many changes in governments (military coups) in Thailand, the army got the privilege of having the control (earnings!) of prostitution/smuggling ....(illegal drugs). I think it is the same with "police".

It is just a mafia, used for earning money using violence and with nearly no chance of getting punished if doing illegal actions.

Acting like a "real" police is more like doing something for the image of beeing real police. And you will see them always very low motivated in doing this kind of work.

In special: at Beach Road nowadays, you can see this pimps all the time. They are sitting there and beside getting the money from their ladies, they are asking nearly every tourist if they want cocaine, heroin, whatever..

I always ask myself, why they do ask me (do I look this way ?) but I think, they do ask everybody....(nearly)

They are doing this in the centre of this lovely tourist town so no one can assume, that the "police" do not know what is going on. So I can understand why it is possible, that these pimps can do this crime (rape). They are used to act this way and used to never been stopped by police. It seems, they ´ve just forgot that it makes a difference to do it with a tourist.

But this can happen if you are on yaba all the time and have just finished to drink a full bottle of whiskey ....

Edited by dieter1

Personally I would like to see an unfettered press, a responsible police force and an uncorrupt civil service and justice system and an end to the racist practices against foreigners but that is just a pipe dream - maybe my children here and those of many other foreigners will be able to change some attitudes but it will take a couple of generations and some education to change the egotistic personalities produced by the old family values and education system here.

I wish the poor woman well and hard labour for 50 years for the perpetrators less their appendages sounds an excellent and just punishment - dream on!

Sorry I'm going to take issue with the above statement in particular "Racist practices". Nationalist and Economic practices, rules and reg's are not racist. They are based on the economic conditions of a tourist's country, nothing to do with race. People that label such practices as racist have no understanding of what racism is and have the negative effect of detracting from the true nature of this disgusting behavior, to be clear calling someone a French so and so is not racist, France is a nation, black people come from France, white, brown. So different rules for farangs is not racist is nationalist based on economic conditions.

PS I'm of indian origin

Edited by bennyben

a post suggesting the woman was drunk and asked for it has been deleted, and the poster warned

repeated public warnings have been given, requests made for people to be sensible and sensitive.

if you cannot comply with these requests, and insist on posting insensitive ignorant remarks then I will have to enforce your silence

seriously, if you have nothing positive to say, its best to not say anything. you have no idea of the trauma a victim goes through. no one needs further salt to the wound by having to listen to/read such negative and insensitive comments from total strangers. where is the compassion in some people?

Pattaya a haven of filth and criminals , Tourists should beware . Parts of that place have its own smell that turn stomachs over. Good on the Daily Mail to highlight something that local media often try to hide, bad publicity.

(Another poster with a serious Pattaya chip on his shoulder)

You couldn't be more wrong. The local media here in Pattaya don't hide a thing. I wish they did, but they show everything that goes on here in graphic detail right down to the smallest blood stain.

Well personally I feel for the woman and dont think there is any need to speculate on details we dont know or create stories from nothing or to just worry how it will affect the tourist industry or to label some national groups. Rape is a well bad thing. Sometimes the responses on these threads amaze me.

I agree with you completly. Perhaps more comments from posters will clean up some of the threads here. The mods have deleted posts but they must have one hel_l of a job policing threads like this.

In my humble opinion, more posters need to ostrasise these low life posters and more openly criticise them.

Good on you, hammered.

Hammered...Are you are member of the Chinese government?

I just ask because it is obvious that you do not believe in freedom of speech or opinion.

Go back to China, North Korea, or Saudi Arabia where fasciasts belong.

Hopefully, the Thais will clean out the Thai "cock roaches" and the Russian mafia that controls much of Pattaya.

Wouldn't put so much stock nor twisted opinion regarding the Russian Mob, as they are only allowed to exist by the real influence. Their Chinese/Thai brethren.

Pattaya a haven of filth and criminals , Tourists should beware . Parts of that place have its own smell that turn stomachs over. Good on the Daily Mail to highlight something that local media often try to hide, bad publicity.

well

shit happens no matter where you live

its not just Pattaya

well i dont think women get dragged off the streets u knob end unless u live in a right shthole wer no 1 gives a shit :)

well

shit happens no matter where you live

its not just Pattaya

well i dont think women get dragged off the streets u knob end unless u live in a right shthole wer no 1 gives a shit :)

Have to wonder if the same emotional responses and overt attention would be rendered if the said victim were a Thai {good girl} lass?

It is very unfortunate that such incidents are happening in Pattaya, but in Phuket as well. Nai Harn Beach, Phuket experienced two attempted rapes in the last month within a 24-hr period that were reported. See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Attack-Dayli...-P-t304912.html

Please don't say "this thing happens everywhere in the world". Please look at the relative incidence (and/or statistics) of crime in Thailand. Thailand is not the place it used to be...

All this conjecture about it being a drug deal gone bad, prostitution, etc, etc. You're just playing into the hands of the Thai media, gov't, etc who wish this story to be neutralized.

People ("ronrat", "DefaultName", et al) posting "opinions" such as they have done insinuating that the victim was, in part, responsible (without any substantiating facts whatsoever) are doing the victim of this crime a horrible disservice. Shame on you!

on my last visit to Thailand I was told that an offence against a tourist is given a sentace of x 20 (Times 20), ie 1 year if commited against a thai, 20 year if commited against a farang.

Any truth in this?

I would like to believe it...

on my last visit to Thailand I was told that an offence against a tourist is given a sentace of x 20 (Times 20), ie 1 year if commited against a thai, 20 year if commited against a farang.

Any truth in this?

I would like to believe it...

That's because Farang are the 'chosen ones' :)

There is more and more of this happening as well as robbery.

Another nail in the tourism coffin!

I dont think any right minded foreigner should bother with thailand anymore.

I am so glad i have moved out and probably never go back, the world is a big place and many other countries deserve our money more!

With the current problems i think there will be more and more bad things happening.

So right...

Been here for 9 years now. I'm 43 and on my way back home. Well at home, I will get a job, find a western (like myself) woman between 32-36, marry, have kids and live the life that I've should have lived in the first place. Spent far to long time here to become nothing at all. Nowadays I wake up every morning with a smile, counting the days left before I can have my life back. This place is not for people with ambitions. It's more like the Mojave Desert. To get broken down and finally put down as scrap for good.

To get broken down and finally put down as scrap for good.

you made me laugh to tears :)

Thanks god ,I wasted 4 years but I left it early I am still 35 y/o.

A horrible case - poor girl. I hope those two bastards aren't HIV positive. The Bangkok Post and Nation seem to have a gentlemen's agreement to avoid reporting news that might damage Thailand's tourist industry. So it is not surprising the Daily Mail printed the story first with ace reporter Andrew Drummond stringing for them and doing a good job IMHO. BTW Andrew a "maeng da" is a type of preying mantis that is used in spicy Isaan sauces, not a coakroach which is "malaeng sap". That is why it is slang for a pimp because they just hang around on the wall waiting for the women to bring home the cash.

I remember a report about prostitution in the 90s written by reputable Thai university professors that claimed that most of the illegal brothels in Bangkok that confined underage foreign prostitutes against their will were located within 50 metres of a police station or police post. Repression of crime is not the primary business of the BIB. It is an armed mafia in uniform and it is surprising there has never been a popular uprising against them. Maybe one day they will get their come uppance even from the passive Thai population.

dam_n good post. Thanks.

Cheers, Rick

I sorry to say that we all need to know the facts first, a foreigner ( girl ) alone in Pattaya don’t seem to happen all the time how did she become separated from her friends maybe she went off with a man? Many men walk around alone most are alone in Thai, girls not so much.

Two Thai men dragging her to a hotel (unusual ) maybe someone would have seen this happening and think this is not normal, did she not scream or shout if so someone would have helped, I would have. Maybe just maybe she walked to the hotel. Who knows? Many men have been taken to Hotels and taken advantage of by 2 or more ladies or ladyboys, we never hear of them because they are too embarrassed to say what happened. Did this lady have cut’s or bruises? Did the reception at the hotel notice anything unusual? How were the men captured so quickly did she know their names. I don’t go to Pattaya very well so I don’t know the areas, is the area where this girl was abducted very quiet? All I’m saying is don’t condemn anyone until we all know the facts. Yes if she was dragged to a hotel and rapped and the two men have been found then they should be punished.

This does happen everywhere in the world so don’t make it seem it only happens in Thai at the moment bashing Thai in U.K new papers seems to be a new National Sport, it’s a wonder the Sun hasn’t taking it up, and started a pole of some sort. Please please just think before posting.

"'maeng da' a Thai expression , literally translating as cockroaches, describing men who live off the earnings of local prostitutes.".. Dosent this include bar and go go owners ?

Of course it does. Maeng Da is slang for pimp; They're those big water beetle bugs. The slang I believe comes from the female water bug carrying the male around, hence the male exploiting the female.

Wait,Wait...wait !

Few days ago a young thai girl from bang Saray (nearby Pattaya) was raped by almost almost 50 teenagers (police caught nearly 25),on country side,

Someones heard about !!??

No posts ,threads ,nothing ...

It seems like a lot of posters here are concerned much because the victim is FOREIGNER woman than WOMAN...

I have seen sometimes how foreigners acting with locals (girls,waiters,hotels staffs...)in Pattaya and all around LOS, that i am not surprise at all how Thai react too...

I'm just saying what i think about the causes of arisen criminality...nothing weird about the raped girl.

BTW good job by the BIB (if they did not arrested the wrongs <deleted>...)

Hang them up!!

All my consideration to the victim,

I sorry to say that we all need to know the facts first, a foreigner ( girl ) alone in Pattaya don't seem to happen all the time how did she become separated from her friends maybe she went off with a man? Many men walk around alone most are alone in Thai, girls not so much.

Two Thai men dragging her to a hotel (unusual ) maybe someone would have seen this happening and think this is not normal, did she not scream or shout if so someone would have helped, I would have. Maybe just maybe she walked to the hotel. Who knows? Many men have been taken to Hotels and taken advantage of by 2 or more ladies or ladyboys, we never hear of them because they are too embarrassed to say what happened. Did this lady have cut's or bruises? Did the reception at the hotel notice anything unusual? How were the men captured so quickly did she know their names. I don't go to Pattaya very well so I don't know the areas, is the area where this girl was abducted very quiet? All I'm saying is don't condemn anyone until we all know the facts. Yes if she was dragged to a hotel and rapped and the two men have been found then they should be punished.

This does happen everywhere in the world so don't make it seem it only happens in Thai at the moment bashing Thai in U.K new papers seems to be a new National Sport, it's a wonder the Sun hasn't taking it up, and started a pole of some sort. Please please just think before posting.

I agree we haven't got the full story! Prob took ashine to one of them whet with him , but, The man took advantage let his friend in , then got silly and abused the lady. stole from her thinking she would be too shy to admit the true fact. But, stood up for herself and reported the situration. I wouldn't put it past the UK newspaper to make the story into the facts as reported. and skip a few details, related to the young ladies own part in putting herself into a possible dangerous situration, and I bet more than a few drinks worth of partying!

Pattaya is a shit-hole. The only positive thing about living there, are the BigC, Foodland and other shops. For the locals, you're just some piece of cattle. Luckily I did choose to live my 9 years here in a non-tourist part of Thailand.

Still, I'm on my way back to my home country. I'm 43 and still have some power left to build a new life at where I was born. Just managed to sell my house here. Feels really good to get back home again and live a civilized life. I'm tired of the heat, tired of the mentality, tired of the stupidity, tired of 0-IQ women who don't know what real love is, tired of not being able to have an intellectual conversation, tired of not being able to have rights status and being a part of the society no matter have long I've been here, tired of...

My empathy goes to the poor British woman who probably had one of her worst day in her life.

Were you so tired you didn't bother to learn Thai? Were you so tired you couldn't be bothered to learn the culture that is not yours? Never read such a pathetic post! Did you never leave the "bar scene" to find normal Thai people? I've been coming here since 1988, stayed around 10 years now and been happily married TO A THAI LADY who I met working at a small Thai restaurant for the last seven years. Glad you have gone home jack, you should never have been here with an attitude like that. I have Thai friends who (if you can speak Thai) would run circles round the likes of you. Don't put down what you don't know and can not understand mate. I am a voted in senior manager for our Moo Barn. You imply Thais treat us like cattle. They "judge people by what they do and by how they fit in" if you were treated like cattle, need I say more. Good riddance to you!

I just hope the lady concerned is as OK as she could be - if she did get raped like that.

Edited by newtronbom

This is terrible news. This is the reason I NEVER go out alone in Pattaya, not even in Daylight.

I think that is a bit exaggerated....isn't it?

Anyway a sad story for the girl.

It is a awful crime against a woman and I hope the lady recovers from this in time.

I feel also the "free Press" in Thailand has not reported this crime .

The Thai police are very quick to go in front of the cameras when a farang is caught for anything

but here is this awful crime against a tourist and the news do not report this because is may show

that Pattaya is a unsafe place for a lady to be alone and it may hurt the money spinner that tourism is

here in Thailand,

This news doesn’t surprise me.

I visited Pattaya last month for 6 days. One of the most verminous cesspits to visit.

After living in Chiang Mai for the last 6 years, I felt well out of my depth in Pattaya and terrified walking the streets alone. A poster of Adolph Hitler welcoming the tourists to Pattaya, scummy sleazy drug dealing Farangs, prostitutes living on the streets, ugly hooked nosed skinny drug doped East European women working in the bars with their Thai peers and the streets were littered with filth, plus the place stunk.

I think a substantial tidal wave or a few bombs would do the place a favour.

I wonder why a young 25-year-old English girl would want to visit that place? And what was she doing there?

Wait,Wait...wait !

Few days ago a young thai girl from bang Saray (nearby Pattaya) was raped by almost almost 50 teenagers (police caught nearly 25),on country side,

Someones heard about !!?? NOT LIKELY...... :)

No posts ,threads ,nothing ...

It seems like a lot of posters here are concerned much because the victim is FOREIGNER woman than WOMAN...

YEP. ONLY FARANG HAVE VALUE..... :D

I have seen sometimes how foreigners acting with locals (girls,waiters,hotels staffs...)in Pattaya and all around LOS, that i am not surprise at all how Thai react too...ONLY SURPRISES THOSE WHO ARE BLIND... :D

I'm just saying what i think about the causes of arisen criminality...nothing weird about the raped girl.

BTW good job by the BIB (if they did not arrested the wrongs <deleted>...)

Hang them up!!

All my consideration to the victim,

I think most people are reading that differently to the way I read it - which was as a response to a suggestion that it happened because it was Pataya - it happened becasue bad things happen everywhere, not just in Pataya - I didnt see anything in the statement that trivialised the crime - I think some peope post responses here without actually reading and thinking about what they are responding to. Maybe the term shit happens means different things to different people - but to me it just meant dont single out Pattya as the only place it happens ....... Lastly I dont think anyone in the UK would place too much reliability on anything published in the Daily Mail which is a middle class sensationllist rag - wait for the trial thats when the evidence will be put forward - it doesnt seem to have been reported by the BBC as yet?

ditto also.

:-

Terrible incident but I feel that the Mails version could lack some details, this isn't a common thing here DESPITE what all the experts and bashers think.

Whatever you think of The Daily Mail, the point you can not get away from is that the Thai media, as usual and for the reasons already stated in this thread, did not publish it at all.

(Another poster with a serious Pattaya chip on his shoulder)

You couldn't be more wrong. The local media here in Pattaya don't hide a thing. I wish they did, but they show everything that goes on here in graphic detail right down to the smallest blood stain.

The local media did not print this story

After living in Chiang Mai for the last 6 years, I felt well out of my depth in Pattaya and terrified walking the streets alone. A poster of Adolph Hitler welcoming the tourists to Pattaya, scummy sleazy drug dealing Farangs, prostitutes living on the streets, ugly hooked nosed skinny drug doped East European women working in the bars with their Thai peers and the streets were littered with filth, plus the place stunk.

Oh stop it, please.. You make me want to book a ticket overthere.. :) I miss it!!

Death sentence... that'll send a message.

I am not for or against Death penalty but I have got news for you

Where there is someone legally put to death there are hundreds of individuals committing horrible acts and they really don't care about what will happen to them as most criminals do not think ahead when they commit a crime: it is a surge

And my point is that no penalty will ever serve as a barrier

You have to beware of the Pattaya Beach day and night, the beach are split up in parts from soi 1 and down to the Waking Street.There are gangs with youths who are criminals who run the different parts.They robbing and stealing from farangs,tourists. So always be careful.I been living in Pattaya for 13years and I've never been robbed or attacked .But I've been treatned by motorbiketaxi drivers ,but they are very quiet after my police friend put his '45cal in their face.

Great story,how long did it take to make that one up? anyway hope justice is done.Terrible thing to happen.