Stephffs Work On Hun+Sin (Hunsen And Thaksin)

webfact

Great stuff, as usual, from Stephff. :)

Coincidentally received the following today as a Thai mass emailing with the subject line: Photo Hunt

(For the uninitiated, Photo Hunt is a game whereby two nearly identical photos are displayed and the participant tries to identify and spot the very subtle differences between the two.)

image22110539989.jpgimage32110539989.jpg

btw, also for the uninitiated, the photo on the right has special connotations for Thais.

Great stuff, as usual, from Stephff. :)

Coincidentally received the following today as a Thai mass emailing with the subject line: Photo Hunt

(For the uninitiated, Photo Hunt is a game whereby two nearly identical photos are displayed and the participant tries to identify and spot the very subtle differences between the two.)

image22110539989.jpgimage32110539989.jpg

btw, also for the uninitiated, the photo on the right has special connotations for Thais.

the right one have white stripes on the back?

Edit: I found another difference. The left one does not show Samak

Edited by h90

Gotta love this guy. :)

An editorial cartoonist must skewer all sides with even handedness,

but with accuracy and yet push the irony to the nth degree.

You have typically

~ONE IMAGE and a few balloons to cut to the chase of the issues.

Steph does this all quite well.

And yes this is current affairs news.

Some editorial cartoonists have changed the tone

of world discourse over their life cycles of publishing.

Edited by animatic

I think Thaivisa is degrading itself with publishing these cartoons.

Thaivisa not worthy and the forum is taking position by publishing the cartoons; not wise !

Would Thaivisa publish the same about present politicians in power ?

The forum wisely warns (over and over) for legal actions if something risky is written by members but this is acceptable ?

LaoPo

Thaivisa not worthy and the forum is taking position by publishing the cartoons; not wise !

The forum wisely warns (over and over) for legal actions if something risky is written by members but this is acceptable ?

LaoPo

Pursuing this a little too seriously. It's just political humour....good for a chuckle. Helps with the constipation. :)

LaoPo

Pursuing this a little too seriously. It's just political humour....good for a chuckle. Helps with the constipation. :)

I would agree if this was a free country where everything could be published, including similar cartoons from present politicians.... :D

I take psyllium against constipation; eating cartoons wouldn't be so good, so my Doc tells me :D

LaoPo

LaoPo they DO publish pretty scathing cartoons of Abhisit and others here.

I really don't buy this argument.

You don't have to buy my argument. I was talking about Thaivisa, not "here" by which you mean the Thai press in Thailand I may assume ?

I haven't seen any of those so called "pretty scathing cartoons of Abhisit" on Thaivisa; did you ? :)

If the press publish them in Thailand or even abroad, fine, but why does Thaivisa have to publish them also?

Thaivisa is not the Thai press, it's an expat forum for expats and other people interested in Thailand and by exposing cartoons it's walking on slippery ice and (at least) suggesting it's taking sides. IMO Thaivisa should be above the law and refrain from publishing "scathing" cartoons about whomever.

Now, IF Thaivisa would publish "pretty scathing cartoons about Abhisit" and other present Thai politicians also....fine. But not just one-sided cartoons.

It's about handling aesthetic morality and like I wrote before:

"The forum wisely warns (over and over) for legal actions if something risky is written by members but this is acceptable ?"

I fully support the warnings by Thaivisa if members are crossing a line, writing risky things about a situation or person, not even to mention the LM laws, but publishing cartoons can be very risky too, for Thaivisa.

Where is the line ? Publishing scathing cartoons about the not-to-be-mentioned-family........:D

We see those about our own European royalty and politicians all the time, but on Thaivisa ?.....where's the line ?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

LaoPo

I would agree if this was a free country where everything could be published, including similar cartoons from present politicians.... :D

I take psyllium against constipation; eating cartoons wouldn't be so good, so my Doc tells me :D

LaoPo

Maybe a mod should advise, but I don't think there is a forum rules against publishing Abhisit cartoons (if not copyrighted). Here would be the best place to publish your favorite one.

Thai newspapers have been publishing satirical cartoons of Apisit for years- until Songkran he was usually drawn as a schoolboy in shorts but since then he has progressed to long trousers, but they usually depict the army behind him, backing him up.

Thai newspapers have been publishing satirical cartoons of Apisit for years- until Songkran he was usually drawn as a schoolboy in shorts but since then he has progressed to long trousers, but they usually depict the army behind him, backing him up.

Exactly. The cartoonasphere in Thailand is one where brutal and cutting satire and wit still goes on against all regardless. I find it very odd that anyone who looked at Thai media would object to these cartoons which are quite mild compared to some others.

I understand so from earlier reports and to be clear: I LOVE good satirical cartoons.

The question was if Thaivisa should be a portal for posting (one-sided) cartoons and the other question was "where's the line" ?

I never searched, until tonight, for cartoons of political figures in Thailand but when I typed "Abhisit cartoons" on Google I ran into cartoons which I cannot post here, sure as I am they would be deleted straight away.... :)

http://www.2bangkok.com/09/RedPublications0909.shtml

LaoPo

LaoPo

The material in the forum is the product of the members, not the management. Are you you suggesting that there should be another level of censorship? Could it be that the lack of cartoons about Abhisit reflects the groundswell opinion of the membership, or that those who do not support him are deficient in the wit department?

Stephf sometimes send his cartoons directly to me, and we normally publish them.

So where can we find the other cartoons from Stephff that have been published on TV? A search only reveals one thread with his cartoons, or only one where he is credited, and that is this one.

LaoPo they DO publish pretty scathing cartoons of Abhisit and others here.

I really don't buy this argument.

You don't have to buy my argument. I was talking about Thaivisa, not "here" by which you mean the Thai press in Thailand I may assume ?

I haven't seen any of those so called "pretty scathing cartoons of Abhisit" on Thaivisa; did you ? :)

If the press publish them in Thailand or even abroad, fine, but why does Thaivisa have to publish them also?

Thaivisa is not the Thai press, it's an expat forum for expats and other people interested in Thailand and by exposing cartoons it's walking on slippery ice and (at least) suggesting it's taking sides. IMO Thaivisa should be above the law and refrain from publishing "scathing" cartoons about whomever.

Now, IF Thaivisa would publish "pretty scathing cartoons about Abhisit" and other present Thai politicians also....fine. But not just one-sided cartoons.

It's about handling aesthetic morality and like I wrote before:

"The forum wisely warns (over and over) for legal actions if something risky is written by members but this is acceptable ?"

I fully support the warnings by Thaivisa if members are crossing a line, writing risky things about a situation or person, not even to mention the LM laws, but publishing cartoons can be very risky too, for Thaivisa.

Where is the line ? Publishing scathing cartoons about the not-to-be-mentioned-family........ :D

We see those about our own European royalty and politicians all the time, but on Thaivisa ?.....where's the line ?

LaoPo

Your points are sound; reasonable; and well tought out, LP. Regarding TV look upon as a news source, some might take issue. Thaivisa could easily fit into the category of Thai info/news resource - as are hundreds of other well-done Thai-related forums, blogs, journals, commentary/political/social sites {Thai/English}. There is a wealth to be found out there. Certainly, being Thai-based, TV has to watch and monitor itself towards sensitive content, therefore self-censoring measures are enacted. OK, everyone understands this. As a pure Thai news and information source and archive, you'd have to search hardy to find equal to TV. Sure, there might be agendic and suppressive measures within the body politic - a matter of survival, my friend. One might use TV as a supplement to other sources. As to Thai-based forums, which seem to be more than competitive and cut-throat....Thaivisa provides {and attempts to} and relies on Thailand and SE Asian content and still seems to be the leader forthwith. Could be worse...... :D

Exactly. The cartoonasphere in Thailand is one where brutal and cutting satire and wit still goes on against all regardless. I find it very odd that anyone who looked at Thai media would object to these cartoons which are quite mild compared to some others.

Might be possible that that the suspected challengers don't imbibe Thai-language press, so they're oblivious to what's available. Political cartooning, jabbing all, have been around for decades. What even more interesting to explore are the historic allowences of {free and open} lampooning during the headdy military days - from the 1940 through the 1970s.

Edited by zzaa09

Stephf sometimes send his cartoons directly to me, and we normally publish them. If you guys have other cartoons and want them published on Thaivisa, we will consider it if we get the authors permission. Just email support.

Thank you for the clarification. That should put aside the false claim that the forum is one-sided.

It also reinforces Bagwan's very good observation:

The material in the forum is the product of the members

Stephf sometimes send his cartoons directly to me, and we normally publish them. If you guys have other cartoons and want them published on Thaivisa, we will consider it if we get the authors permission. Just email support.

Thank you for the clarification. That should put aside the false claim that the forum is one-sided.

:) ..have we seen other cartoons on TV other than the ones about Hun Sen and Thaksin published in the OP ?

Q: if the material in the forum is the product of the members...which members are those ? :D

As far as I know, I've never seen any cartoons, posted by regular members.

LaoPo

:) ..have we seen other cartoons on TV other than the ones about Hun Sen and Thaksin published in the OP ?

Q: if the material in the forum is the product of the members...which members are those ? :D

LaoPo

Oh, Lao Po....... I think the newly-minted "cornerback" knows whereof he speaks. As I recall, (the now banned) Sriracha John used to post cartoons, too - in addition to many pictures from diverse sources........... not unlike the one featured earlier here by (the also newly-minted - and now banned) AoUdomAl. Fair to say, though, I can't recall him (Sriracha John, I mean) posting any that weren't in some way to Thaksin's discredit either by content or comment.

LaoPo

Oh, Lao Po....... I think the newly-minted "cornerback" knows whereof he speaks. As I recall, (the now banned) Sriracha John used to post cartoons, too - in addition to many pictures from diverse sources........... not unlike the one featured earlier here by (the also newly-minted - and now banned) AoUdomAl. Fair to say, though, I can't recall him (Sriracha John, I mean) posting any that weren't in some way to Thaksin's discredit either by content or comment.

Thanks Steve2UK. You're right about SJ, postings cartoons in the past.

What I meant was that I read The material in the forum is the product of the members; If I read that sentence I understand that the writer meant that the members created/produced the cartoons themselves.

But, maybe I understood incorrectly? :D

LaoPo

The content of the forum is the product of all 87,000+ members.

What was clarified was that if you wish to post political cartoons yourself, there's an avenue to do so. If you elect not to do, then that's your perogative, but at the same time, it's unfair to call the forum one-sided because the members decided to opt out on something that they can do if they want to.

If you want to see to another side of political cartoons, that it's incumbent upon you, as a member, to post them.