How To Choose A Water Heater For Bathroom ?

frenchFARANGbkk

How to choose a water heater for bathroom ? So many brands available at the same price, any famous brand ?

Hi,

Do you know how to choose a water heater for bathroom ?

I guess 4500 watts water heater is enough, but then ? Any water heater safer than others ?

Any brand with better guarantee ?

What else ?

Thanks.

He's in BKK ^^^

4500W is about the minimum I'd chose for a decent shower (bigger would be better if your power supply is up to it), go for one where you can dial the temperature of the water so you don't have to juggle the flow rate to get a comfortable shower.

Something like a Stiebel Eltron EL Series http://www.stiebeleltronasia.com/showprodu...ductseriesid=76 if you just want a shower unit.

He's in BKK ^^^

4500W is about the minimum I'd chose for a decent shower (bigger would be better if your power supply is up to it), go for one where you can dial the temperature of the water so you don't have to juggle the flow rate to get a comfortable shower.

Something like a Stiebel Eltron EL Series http://www.stiebeleltronasia.com/showprodu...ductseriesid=76 if you just want a shower unit.

Thanks.

Is this brand famous ? Never heard about it. Expensive ?

I guess it's safe as you are an electric system expert !

Good idea to select one on which i can choose the temperature, but what if I want to hide it in the ceiling, will i be able to use it if I cannot change the temperature when needed ? Using the faucet to mix hot and cool water should should be enough ?

I just bought one few days ago.

The wattage depends on two things. How much water flow you have and how hot you like it.

For many 3500watt is enough hot shower, but if you like it hot then go for the 4500watt.

But keep in mind if you have high water flow then you might go for the 4500watt.

Brands? From what I hear national and panasonic are good but dont limit yourself to just these two brands. I am sure other name brands work just as well as I am not an expert.

I just bought one few days ago.

The wattage depends on two things. How much water flow you have and how hot you like it.

For many 3500watt is enough hot shower, but if you like it hot then go for the 4500watt.

But keep in mind if you have high water flow then you might go for the 4500watt.

Brands? From what I hear national and panasonic are good but dont limit yourself to just these two brands. I am sure other name brands work just as well as I am not an expert.

In one of the bathrooms I have a wall mounted 4500W Panasonic with temperature control. It works OK. Push button on and off. If you want to mount the unit out of sight and run both hot and cold pipes I think they start at something like 6000W are called multi point units and you control the temperature by the water flow and mixing. Have one of those as well but can't remember the make. It is quite small mounted under the sink. Any HomePro with maybe the exception of Chidlom with have a good selection.

I was told 3500W for Bangkok and the south, 4500W for up north where the incoming water temperature is colder. I got 4500W because as it has electronic control it will only use what is necessary and I occasionally like a hot shower as opposed to warm.

Edited by VocalNeal

National and Panasonic are the same brand - Panasonic is the new name/models. I would go with any of the Japanese brands and for Bangkok 3500w should be all you need - I run 65psi and seldom have to reduce flow (perhaps 10 days a year). I would avoid any unit that requires mixing cold/hot for output as the cold is just not cold enough most of the year.

Just bought a couple of Stiebel Eltron unit to be hidden under the sink.

One for For two sinks, shower and bath. 8000w model with a dial temp control.

Another for one sink and a shower. 6000w model with a dial temp control.

I purchased Stiebel Eltron as I’ve read that they are good. I also received excellent feedback and assistance direct from the service dept.

They are well known, although I’d never heard of them because I was never looking for a water heater before. Now I see them everywhere !

Cost of the units were around B7000-7500 each.

They are well known, although I'd never heard of them because I was never looking for a water heater before. Now I see them everywhere !

Much like buying a red car. If you do you will see them everywhere :) .

I think you made a good choice .

Recently, we bought the smallish Stiebel 6000W model to install in our house. The HomePro guy told us 6KW is good enough.

For our master bedroom, we have the sink, rain shower, and bath. Of course we didn't know we were not supposed to turn them on all at once ... but we did. It tripped the machine and didn't work after that. We and the 'chang' thought it was broken and brought it back to HomePro where they had to press a hidden switch to reset the machine for it to work again. They told us those models were supposed to be used at one point only, though you can mount them to several points. Kind of defeats the purpose.

We were then told to buy the 12KW model, but it wouldn't work in the house as once you turn that one, everything else had to be turned off!

So we are now advised to buy the tank water heater, 50-100 liter. Seems kind of overkill but what do you think? Our tub is 190 liter.

Thanks

Matt

Whatever you buy, be aware that in an older place anything over 2,500 will often cause major power issues. We have a 3,500 and it regularly causes the power to go off... have to switch off the water pump, DVD and all extra upstairs lights (except the bathroom) to have a nice hot shower. Electrician says this is normal in many older houses and too expensive to fix in a rented house. We're moving soon and buying - and rewiring the new place. :) Just be aware....

ABB have a product that is called LSS 1/2 Load Shedding Device that can be used in a situation like you describe when the power supply is insufficient for some load. It is possible to connect two secondary load to this unit in addition to the load that is causing the problem, and the unit will automatically switch off the secondary loads if the total supply is not enough.

He's in BKK ^^^

Can you confirm that it's not useful to install a breaker in the bathroom as the sale person adviced when you already have a breaker in the consumer unit (box with many switches inside to cut electricity at different place of the condo). (one of this switch already cut electricity at every plug in the bathroom and also at the previous water heater).

Thanks for all your lessons :-)