Thai Bank In Nathon

H2oDunc

The owner of the house I stay in has been over from Europe for a few days to sort out some paperwork and things. He also wanted to arrange an account for my wife so she can pay the bills on his houses. He has an account with a bank in Nathon. Whilst in the bank yesterday organisng an account for the wife the bank manager asked if he could have a quick word. Thinking he wanted to try and sell him some new service he said yes.

The manager took him to his office then asked if he could lend him 10,000000 baht for a month to six weeks to solve a little cash flow problem :D He said it is the first time in his life that any bank manager as ever asked him such a thing and was speechles. He politely declined and left.

Only in Thailand or anybody ever been asked this before ? :)

I think I would have come out of the office and gone to the counter to close my account. :D

Sounds like a bit of internal creative accounting gone bad! The irony. You should have a asked for all his assets as collateral, charged an outrageous interest rate and told him you might call in the loan at any time and seize his worldly chattels... And every letter you write to him is gonna cost him 1000 Baht! :D:D:D:D:)

I think it would be prudent for your landlord to let the head office know about this. If this manager is in such dire straights that he cares nothing about losing face by asking a farang for a loan of 10,000,000 baht, his situation is obviously extremely desperate -- perhaps to the point of doing something dishonest that could severely affect unsuspecting customers. I would also agree with those who advise closing the account(s) there. Like I said, if the manager would go this extreme and lose so much face, I wouldn't feel at all secure about having money anywhere near this guy.

Edited by Beacher