Good Samaritan Caution

Pearl

I trust people until they show me otherwise. My Thai wife is the opposite. She trusts those who first show they can be trusted. Her approach is safer.

>Early in the morning we approached a stop light on a wet, slick street.

>The lights turned red, and we stopped. The motorcycle in front of us with a fat lady also stopped, but went "ass-over-tea-kettle" on the wet road.

>With my trusting instinct, I made a move to exit my vehicle to at least help her 'upright' her motorcycle.

>My wife restrained me, and educated me about some Thai realities that happen in a similar circumstance frequently.

>The lesson: If that fat lady has a 'black heart', and considering we were the only ones at the intersection, and considering that I am perceived as a rich farang, she could easily claim that the reason she fell, is because I hit her.

>And after that, as you all know, it is merely a matter of money.

>And this does not happen to rich farangs only. It has happened to Thai's who just happen to be driving a nice automobile.

A cautionary tale.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope i don't get banned for saying utter cow udders !

Holy smoke batman how many trollies/newbies/first posties can we have in one day :)

On Sukhumvit only last week believe it or not an old lady slipped on a wet paving slab...i picked her up as i was the one walking behind her.... nothing but thanks for me.... no one thought i gave her a sly kick.... but maybe she was not black hearted... who knows...

Recently I had a minor accident and had to pay, but it was mostly my fault so alls fair...

To the credit of the taxi-biker dudes they looked after my helmet while we all went to the hospital.

Some big tattoo farangs helped too.

When I got back my helmet was still there with them.

As for this story.

I guess it depends on the person.

Not all folk who tumbledown have a black heart.

A while ago a couple of Thai co-workers told me that I should never stop at an accident in case something like this happened. It's hard to say what would happen in practice. The one time when I have been the only one around at an accident was when I saw a tuk-tuk slide down a gully beside a rural dirt track and turn over. The driver scrambled out as I was edging my way down the slope. He seemed grateful for my concern and there was no attempt to implicate me.

I know a lot of Thai's won't stop to help at RTA's if alone, for fear of been accused of stealing whatever gold neckalaces the occupants may later claim to have been wearing at the time - they'll wait till 2 or 3 other folk turn up so they can "witness" for each other!

Holy smoke batman how many trollies/newbies/first posties can we have in one day :)

On Sukhumvit only last week believe it or not an old lady slipped on a wet paving slab...i picked her up as i was the one walking behind her.... nothing but thanks for me.... no one thought i gave her a sly kick.... but maybe she was not black hearted... who knows...

I am in awe of your wonderful naivety. This scenario happens all too often. If you think this is rubbish then best take care my friend.

I have at least 3 times in Thailand, been helped at the scene of the accident by Good Samaritan Thai Buddhists. The story as told by Jesus is that a hated Samaritan rescued an injured Jew after devout fellow Jews ignored him. Jesus taught 'love your enemy' and 'treat all others as you would want to be treated.' To do less identifies YOU as a black-hearted nonbeliever.

I am in awe of your wonderful naivety. This scenario happens all too often. If you think this is rubbish then best take care my friend.

I can only imagine what naive, fearful farangs would let themselves be victim to such a scam.

Regrettably the point the OP makes is valid and that does often happen, that is not to suggest that people should or should not help others in those circumstances, just be aware that it might not turn out as you thought if you do get involved - perhaps bear that thought in mind the next time you see an accident and notice that there are large numbers of Thai people just standing there watching, not getting involved and not doing anything, Thai Mung as they say!

Regrettably the point the OP makes is valid and that does often happen, that is not to suggest that people should or should not help others in those circumstances, just be aware that it might not turn out as you thought if you do get involved - perhaps bear that thought in mind the next time you see an accident and notice that there are large numbers of Thai people just standing there watching, not getting involved and not doing anything, Thai Mung as they say!

If a lot of Thais jumped off a cliff, would you do too?

So how many Thai Visa posters have actually been a 'victim' of this scam?

Come on people - step up & be counted.

All the details - how much did it cost you & how did these 'black-hearted Thais' convince you to pay up?

I've always been the one on the motorbike, but something like this DID happen in 2006 down in Nakhon. Around 20:00 and my boss was driving us down to the steak house in his 4x4 pickup, and a young bloke on a bike came a cropper right in front of us, although there was no contact.

He was a fairly tough looking bloke, my boss, and got out of the ute when the kid got up and started to whinge at him, (even though there was no contact as far as I knew) but he basically told the little conartist to rack off right there in the street, and he did.

I can see how some of these anecdotal scam reports might have some basis of truth to them, but it's a very small minority of kon Thai, I'm sure, and the ABC if first aid is Airway, Breathing, *** Circulation. Human life comes first. I'd rather take my chances with the con artist risk factor than stand by and leave someone to die.

*** Sorry, thinking back to 1980 in that. I believe it was actually airway BLEEDING, circulation. Sorry.

Edited by SeanMoran

Reading and comprehension are not your strong points I note, read my post again then reconsider whether your comment was appropriate - I am not advocating anything merely confirming the OP's view that such things do happen frequently in Thailand and providing the Thai name for the group that spectates!

Reading and comprehension are not your strong points I note, read my post again then reconsider whether your comment was appropriate - I am not advocating anything merely confirming the OP's view that such things do happen frequently in Thailand and providing the Thai name for the group that spectates!

Frequently happen you said? and where is your evidence?

LooseCannon asked earlier for any TV posters to come forward and tell all... to date...no one has come forward.... strange that :)

Now, I am not suggesting it does not or hasn't happend but the paranoia and the b/s troll posts on here are amazing... Really after a decade here in the LoS i only have to read TV for 30 minutes and i start panicking... and checking flights out back to safety in blighty...

This place will drive you nuts if you even believe 25% of what is written.... cuckoo!

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, another 'scam the farang' thread results in predictable mass hysteria amongst the startled deer of Thai Visa membership. :)

The herd is on the move, stampeding through cyber space drawing in ever more quivering & frightened farang, with the mythical & imaginary 'black-hearted Thai' in murderous pursuit.Feeding off the fear the herd finally reaches a shuddering anti-climax of self induced mania & yet another 'scam thread' falls off the front page & disappears into the TV archives.

Then we wait........

It's not a farang thing. Ask around and you'll find a fair few number of Thais who wouldn't help at an accident unless it was their fault or there were plenty of other folks around as well to either give assistance or act as witnesses.

Edited by mca

Frequently happen you said? and where is your evidence?

LooseCannon asked earlier for any TV posters to come forward and tell all... to date...no one has come forward.... strange that :)

Now, I am not suggesting it does not or hasn't happend but the paranoia and the b/s troll posts on here are amazing... Really after a decade here in the LoS i only have to read TV for 30 minutes and i start panicking... and checking flights out back to safety in blighty...

This place will drive you nuts if you even believe 25% of what is written.... cuckoo!

You seem to agree that such things do happen but question my use of the word frequently, seems akin to debating the number of angels on the head of a pin, pointless!

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, another 'scam the farang' thread results in predictable mass hysteria amongst the startled deer of Thai Visa membership. :)

The herd is on the move, stampeding through cyber space drawing in ever more quivering & frightened farang, with the mythical & imaginary 'black-hearted Thai' in murderous pursuit.Feeding off the fear the herd finally reaches a shuddering anti-climax of self induced mania & yet another 'scam thread' falls off the front page & disappears into the TV archives.

Then we wait........

As has already been pointed out several times, this is not solely a farang thing, but your theatrics were reasonably well written and briefly entertaining and you no doubt derived pleasure from posting such nonsense!

I have at least 3 times in Thailand, been helped at the scene of the accident by Good Samaritan Thai Buddhists. The story as told by Jesus is that a hated Samaritan rescued an injured Jew after devout fellow Jews ignored him. Jesus taught 'love your enemy' and 'treat all others as you would want to be treated.' To do less identifies YOU as a black-hearted nonbeliever.

I don't disagree with you but one needs to be pragmatic in Thailand. As one sensible poster suggested there may be occasions where it would be prudent to await the arrival of some other people who can be potential witnesses for one another if the financial demands started.

It is not clear whether you have experienced or believe that this happens ( to farang and thai ) but I can assure you it does.

A silly response if i may say so.

No, people would not jump off a cliff just because " a lot of Thais " do so.

But, people should be cautious if they see a lot of Thais holding back at an accident. They have experience of such situations.

You draw an invalid parallel with the cliff analogy. Read what most of the posters here are saying.

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, another 'scam the farang' thread results in predictable mass hysteria amongst the startled deer of Thai Visa membership. :D

Then we wait........

As has already been pointed out several times, this is not solely a farang thing, but your theatrics were reasonably well written and briefly entertaining and you no doubt derived pleasure from posting such nonsense!

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than responding to twaddle in the manner it deserves.I am glad that you enjoyed it, after all entertainment & theatrics are what Thai Visa is all about (anyone for Sinsod?) :D

Back to the issue at hand....where are the 'victims' of this 'frequent' scam?

Can you quantify 'frequent'? Something like a ratio of "Total number of incidents with good samaritan intervention"/"successful scamming of good samaritan"

Surely there must be first hand accounts, after all it is such a 'frequent' occurrence. :)

Or is it something that has been blown out of all proportion & totally misrepresented along the lines of farang/Thai good samaritan helps victim, victim/relative/onlooker articulates "farang/Somchai pay! farang/Somchai pay!" Farang/Thai good samaritan replies "go fuc_k yourself dipstick!" & rides off into the sunset. Nothing more than the usual swifty that has zero chance of success unless you are congenitally stupid. :D

I have two examples. A good friend of mine saw a motorcycle accident. He delivered the kid to the nearest hospital and was then asked for money to treat the kid. He managed to slip out of the hospital and told me later that he wouldn't try to help any other victim.

I took a farang who was having a heart attack to the hospital and was I expected to pay the bill. I was paged and told to go to the cashiers office. I headed that way and went straight out the front door instead.

Along the same lines, I was parking and a Thai bar girl ran into the back of my truck. No marks on my truck at all. Of course she wanted money for damage to herself and her motorbike. Fortunately and surprisingly the two cops who came by were onto her tricks. The damaged spots to her motorbike were rusty and she had no injuries. She wanted 20,000 baht. The police asked me if I were willing to give her 500 baht to shut her up.

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, another 'scam the farang' thread results in predictable mass hysteria amongst the startled deer of Thai Visa membership. :D

Then we wait........

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than responding to twaddle in the manner it deserves.I am glad that you enjoyed it, after all entertainment & theatrics are what Thai Visa is all about (anyone for Sinsod?) :D

Back to the issue at hand....where are the 'victims' of this 'frequent' scam?

Can you quantify 'frequent'? Something like a ratio of "Total number of incidents with good samaritan intervention"/"successful scamming of good samaritan"

Surely there must be first hand accounts, after all it is such a 'frequent' occurrence. :)

Or is it something that has been blown out of all proportion & totally misrepresented along the lines of farang/Thai good samaritan helps victim, victim/relative/onlooker articulates "farang/Somchai pay! farang/Somchai pay!" Farang/Thai good samaritan replies "go fuc_k yourself dipstick!" & rides off into the sunset. Nothing more than the usual swifty that has zero chance of success unless you are congenitally stupid. :D

Frequent, often, sometimes, occasionally, take thy pick and stop being silly, of course it's not quantifiable - angels on heads of pins again.