Good Samaritan Caution

Pearl

Not a ‘stopping to assist’ story, but one showing the attitude when a farang is involved in an accident.

My husband and I were involved in a car accident and our car was hit so hard it was turned over on its side and pushed along the road (it was written off - although not much damage to the other car). No point going into the details, but the accident was not our fault.

Fortunately nobody was hurt, but we were told at the police station (by a v nice and sympathetic policeman) that unless we signed our insurers forms telling them to pay for the other car’s damage we would have to fight them through the courts.

To add insult to injury, the man who was now purporting to be the driver of the other car was actually a passenger (!) – presumably the driver was drunk (it would certainly explain the accident). The occupants of the other car were smiling and incredibly friendly to us at the police station – wonder why!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of months ago I had a woman in our soi ring our door bell to say that I had damaged her motobike when I drove out of the soi and wanted me to pay her 3000 baht and after looking at the bike it was a old mess with scratches anyway . my wife told me to go back in the house as it was a scam and then started to scream at the woman and made treats to have her taken away ... she left and then came back asking for forgivness after the locals had told her she picked the wrong people to scam .

be careful not to get involved with any accidents as a farang, as the police will hold you for hours to get a statement and most likely try to envolve you as well as what happened to a friend of mine where I ended up having to pay for his kindness so he could leave.

This is a true story. But only involved Thais. A old guy on a scooter runs into a friend of mine (Thai). They are "upcountry". The old guy was 100% at fault, but asks for 200K Baht. They know each other, but this ens up going to court. A year later, and many dollars, he ended up paying 30,000 baht just to get this over with...and to help the old guy save face.

I also have another friend who was sitting at a red light. Got hit by a couple on a scooter. They immediately asked for 100K Baht. He has a Thai wife. She told the couple on the scooter to bugger off. They negotiated for 40k just to get it over with as they knew they would not win with police now on the scene.

Both true stories from close friends of mine. I am 100% a good samaritan...but have to be very careful in Thailand...especially involving auto accidents.

I would like to think that most people would stop & help another person, whether a child bleeding to death on the road or just an old lady who has slipped over. To me it seems that this is a natural reaction, part of being 'human'. It seems inconceivable that somebody could walk past a person obviously injured or in distress & totally ignore them - I know it happens, but I wonder how they justify it to themselves or rationalize their action.

There seems to be a lot of talk from Thais about the need to be wary about getting involved at an accident, but it seems that their words are at odds with their actions, because at all the accident scenes that I have seen there has never been any shortage of good samaritans. I doubt very much that they are thinking about the victim stiffing them for compensation.

Thai people have exactly the same capacity for empathy & level of compassion as another group of people on this planet, & also exactly the same capacity to show gratitude & appreciation.

:) I think that Invariably the stakes go up whenever a Farang is involved in any of these scenarios. That is just the harsh reality of it. I'm sure many have heard the tale of the Farang is at fault regardless because if he had never come to Thailand it wouldn't have happened. Sort of a Karmic view. I was never scammed or cheated by Thai's on a large scale,but was aware that it is not a level playing field.

LL

I have to laugh at the reactions here. Why does it have to be all one way or the other? I'm sure these scams have happened. I'm also sure that people help other people all the time with no scam involved. I do say, read and learn, and then use your best judgment.

I would like to think that most people would stop & help another person, whether a child bleeding to death on the road or just an old lady who has slipped over. To me it seems that this is a natural reaction, part of being 'human'. It seems inconceivable that somebody could walk past a person obviously injured or in distress & totally ignore them - I know it happens, but I wonder how they justify it to themselves or rationalize their action.

There seems to be a lot of talk from Thais about the need to be wary about getting involved at an accident, but it seems that their words are at odds with their actions, because at all the accident scenes that I have seen there has never been any shortage of good samaritans. I doubt very much that they are thinking about the victim stiffing them for compensation.

Thai people have exactly the same capacity for empathy & level of compassion as another group of people on this planet, & also exactly the same capacity to show gratitude & appreciation.

" but I wonder how they justify it" that's been covered , they fear the scams.

" never been a shortage of good samaritans" you've answered your own question. there were many people there that could act as witnesses. different if no-one around again covered above.

"compensation" it's more than that , it could be a request for money whether liable or not. again covered above.

I have to laugh at the reactions here. Why does it have to be all one way or the other? I'm sure these scams have happened. I'm also sure that people help other people all the time with no scam involved. I do say, read and learn, and then use your best judgment.

It is not one way or the other. It depends on the circumstances. Thais particularly weigh up the likelihood of a scam. And then act accordingly, often getting more people involved

So how many Thai Visa posters have actually been a 'victim' of this scam?

Come on people - step up & be counted.

All the details - how much did it cost you & how did these 'black-hearted Thais' convince you to pay up?

Not sure if my post will show , but it did happend to me.

Date june 2002.

Location : U turn front of Asia Uninversity (the raod to Pol Pet).

2 motorcycles where crashed by a truck at the Uturn (the driver simply did not see them and run over them). I made the gf stop the car, runned there, and provided first help/ It took a long time to have someone call emergency. When thecop arrived, then people started to shout at me. The gf was connected to the police (father + uncle aregenerals in the said police) , so things stopped quite easily. Thought she never told me exactly what it was about those people were shouting to the policemen.

So yes, better to be careful, but on the other hand how can you call your self a man if yo upass and turn head if one of your fellow is dying on the road?

Ive been a victim of this type of nonsense. But then I actually go outside and play in the real world where real things happen rather than in make believe land where I get to decide what happens for myself based on how I think it ought to be.

I know its 4 in the morning and a new day is dawning; but can we all have a translation of your post please.

I am aware that there are scams in every third world country. It happens regularly in Mexico and the Philippines. I've seen the scammers setting up their operation. I've heard similar stories in Africa. But, when I see a real accident with real victims it's just my nature to get involved if I can help in any way. I DO know that poor Thais think all farangs have loads of money they don't need... and therefore are intitled to some of it. It HAS been a good topic because it can make innocent people aware that some of these scams do exist.