Sending Camera To Daughter In Thailand

byrdieep

My daughter is in Thailand with a broken camera. I'm trying to order one for her but understand that if I ship it from the US it will get caught up in customs and she'll get hit with taxes. I've tried to order it from tohome.com (an online Thai retailer), but their website keeps having errors. Can't get the payment to go through. Has anyone had success with any other Thai sites, or have any other suggestions? She is staying in southern Thailand... Krabi.

Thanks!

Byrdie

I would suggest that she goes into one of the many camera retail stores that are located in all the larger towns in Thailand and buy a new camera there. They have all the popular brands and price ranges.

I quite agree, she can buy one here, you pay for it. No risk of getting lost or broken in the post. No extra customs. Can check it works before she buys, can return under gaurantee.

I'm all for the send-it-with-a-friend-or-acquaintance tip. There are always plenty of ppl coming into town or going back n forth, and for sensitive things it's best to have it hand transported. Maybe she has friends coming over for the holidays ? This kind of networking is indispensable. Great for longed-for food items too.

And though you can buy all the regular cameras here in Thld, the prices are fairly cheaper in US n UK because there's just so much more volume in sales and that much more competition. Sad, but true, despite Nikon building some of their models rt here in the country. Closeness does not make for any discounts.

You might try this link:

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/

Upper right click on language and change currency if you want. You will need her exact Thai address (in English is fine) so they can send it to her. Shipping and all that self explanatory. Search the site has a lot of choices at all price levels. You could even call them if needed.

I would suggest you "send" her the money either wire transfer which to me is expensive but you know you can do it by PayPal. TAKES A WEEK.

Which ever works for you.

Buying a camera is not a difficult task.

If the OP's daughter needs money in a hurry from home, perhaps she should not be travelling.

Re transferring money, Western Union works well, the funds are transferred and waiting for collection as soon as the transaction is completed, fees are moderate. There are Western Union agents everywhere.