Sub Class 100 Visa

As of the 17th of this month, my wife is a permanant resident of Australia.

Got a letter today to say it has been granted....funny thing is that there is no notification for the stepson who came over at the same time.

It is strange as he was issued with a 309 visa and during the 100 application I had to submit the police clearance as I was sponsoring a child under 18 for a permanant resident visa.

I assume that as he was on the original application with my wife that he was dealt with at the same time which is indicated by the request for my police clearance, I just find it strange that he is not mentioned in the letter of notification for the grant of the sub class 100 visa.

As of the 17th of this month, my wife is a permanant resident of Australia.

Got a letter today to say it has been granted....funny thing is that there is no notification for the stepson who came over at the same time.

It is strange as he was issued with a 309 visa and during the 100 application I had to submit the police clearance as I was sponsoring a child under 18 for a permanant resident visa.

I assume that as he was on the original application with my wife that he was dealt with at the same time which is indicated by the request for my police clearance, I just find it strange that he is not mentioned in the letter of notification for the grant of the sub class 100 visa.

--------------------

Congrats mate.

Sounds like a "typo".

Just give them a call for a new letter.

Regards

Will

Ref. visa 100.

The letter will have the visa number and expiry date. You wife will have to go to a DIAC office and have the visa label inserted in her passport before she travels overseas. One is not required to have the visa label in their passport if they do not intend to leave Australia.

The visa information is on the DIAC computer system but problems may arise with airlines as

they may want to see evidence of an Australian visa at check in. (Qantas is one).

The info is all in the letter.

Ref. visa 100.

The letter will have the visa number and expiry date. You wife will have to go to a DIAC office and have the visa label inserted in her passport before she travels overseas. One is not required to have the visa label in their passport if they do not intend to leave Australia.

The visa information is on the DIAC computer system but problems may arise with airlines as

they may want to see evidence of an Australian visa at check in. (Qantas is one).

The info is all in the letter.

There is no expiry date on the letter....nor is there a visa number....only her client ID.

The letter states that visa was granted on the day the letter was issued....and you have 5 years travel from the date of grant....

The visa is linked to the passport number given.....no visa label is required to be in the passport if she leaves the country. If she changes passports then she is required to notify the dept of the new number.

Although what this has to do with the stepson's notification...I fail to see.

Your post indicated that your wife received her permanent visa 100, my wife received her permanent visa in June and the letter had the visa number and an expiry date, xx/xx/2014.

The letter also advised her to have the visa label inserted in her passport if she was to travel overseas. There is no problem if she does not leave Australia to travel.

After the expiry date she would obtain an RRV if she was to leave Australia to travel or she may have Australian citizenship by that time.

The post was for informative purposes only.

And airlines do check to see if you have a valid visa to enter Australia. DIAC do not need to see the visa in your passport as it is linked to the visa number on the computer system.

In your case it may be different but it may pay to check with DIAC to confirm.

Your post indicated that your wife received her permanent visa 100, my wife received her permanent visa in June and the letter had the visa number and an expiry date, xx/xx/2014.

The letter also advised her to have the visa label inserted in her passport if she was to travel overseas. There is no problem if she does not leave Australia to travel.

After the expiry date she would obtain an RRV if she was to leave Australia to travel or she may have Australian citizenship by that time.

And airlines do check to see if you have a valid visa to enter Australia. DIAC do not need to see the visa in your passport as it is linked to the visa number on the computer system.

Yes David,

all well and good but the original query was why

the stepson was not included in the letter.

Regards

Will

My letter was different to yours David.

Since when did airlines check visa validity? I thought that was immigrations job and indeed the lady at the Thai consulate here told me that Immigration wouldnt let me on the plane if I didnt have a visa for Thailand (staying 32 days) after I had already purchased the tickets from MAS.....The airlines arent interested in your visa.... they want bums on seats...it is the passengers responsibility to ensure that their visas are current or appropiate.

My letter was different to yours David.

Since when did airlines check visa validity? I thought that was immigrations job and indeed the lady at the Thai consulate here told me that Immigration wouldnt let me on the plane if I didnt have a visa for Thailand (staying 32 days) after I had already purchased the tickets from MAS.....The airlines arent interested in your visa.... they want bums on seats...it is the passengers responsibility to ensure that their visas are current or appropiate.

Not quite correct. Airlines (and some more than others)

quite often check to see if the passenger has a valid visa.

The reason being they can be fined for allowing someone

tp board without the appropriate visa.

And wrong information from Thai consulate.

DIAC in Australia have no interest or care in an Australian

departing Oz with regards to their visa status.

Regards

Will

Agree on some airlines wanting to see a valid visa before you climb on board.

Many posts in the Thai Visa Forum section on tales of woe at the airports around the world about members needing to actually purchase a ticket OUT of Thailand before they are allowed to board. Seems they buy a fully refundable ticket and claim back the fare from the airline concerned later.

Jetstar in particular at Melbourne Airport are extremely strict about checking your visa (if you have one) and even when you know it's correct and valid, they check further from more senior staff at times!

Regards

Will

The above is correct, however an Oz resident (non Oz p/p) on departure, who does not hold a return visa for Australia, may be strongly advised by Customs/Immigration, to obtain this overseas as the return airline may refuse uplift.

Airlines don't have full access to Australia's visa data base and would need to sight a label.

Regards

Will

The above is correct, however an Oz resident (non Oz p/p) on departure, who does not hold a return visa for Australia, may be strongly advised by Customs/Immigration, to obtain this overseas as the return airline may refuse uplift.

Airlines don't have full access to Australia's visa data base and would need to sight a label.

That's true.

I was referring to an Australian Citizen on an Australian passport leaving

the country as I assumed the OP was talking about a visa to enter Thailand.

Regards

Will

Now I am confused...........

I have never been questioned regards visas at airline check ins nor on boarding a plane either in or out of Oz nor at any other country. I have however been questioned at Passport control (Immigration)

My wife in her travels here also has never been questioned at those airline points but has been at Passport control.

Certainly I have never been questioned on purchase as I usually use a travel agent (who have never questioned me) This is the first time I have bought airline direct and still not questioned. I have flown with Thai, Singapore and now MAS.

Friends of mine who have overstayed the 30 day entry visa to Thailand usually pay the overstay fees at passport control not the check in area.

While I agree that a non Oz PP holder should have the label in the passport to avoid any confusion....I am a bit confused in that DIAC in Oz are not concerned about the travellers visa status when they leave Oz but Thai Immigration are concerned about a Thai PP holders visa status when they leave Thailand.

And then we have the travellers to Oz that are refused entry on arrival because they have the incorrect visa...

And if Airlines dont have full access to the data base....how do they check the validity of a visa?

Oh dear now I am confusing myself...... :)

It's all a tad confusing gburnsy.

On checking in at Suvarnabumi a while back for a Singapore Airlines flight to Aus via Singapore, their system would not print a Boarding Pass for my flight fom SIN to MEL.

After several staff were running backward and forward for near 30 minutes trying to sort the problem out I was finally given a hand written pass. Lucky we checked in quite early.

I was told that the problem eminated from the Australian end and they needed to contact Canberra to get permission for me to travel. Hmmmm I know I'm a good boy so <deleted>!

Needless to say, when arriving at Melbourne Airport, I was looking down the aisle to see if any burly officers were going to march in and grab me.

I asked Immigration if there was any problem with my Passport or status and no......nothing at all.

On arriving home, I immediately phoned SIA and was told that the problem was within their OWN reservations system and a data mismatch had occured, thus the pass would not print!

I thought this was not good enough, the incident had caused me reasonable concern and I emailed SIA.

I received a reply sticking to the original story that they needed to TELEX Canberra, to get permission for me to travel.

(Do they still have Telex?)

Anyway to cut a long story short, I ask Immigration each time I leave now....Am I going to be allowed back?

Last time the nice lady officer said yes, no problem you are a good boy!!!!!

I strongly suspect SIA were the problem. My ex wife who is a travel agent says that it is not uncommon for SIA to have a glitch in their system with data mismatching.

Now I am confused...........

I have never been questioned regards visas at airline check ins nor on boarding a plane either in or out of Oz nor at any other country. I have however been questioned at Passport control (Immigration)

My wife in her travels here also has never been questioned at those airline points but has been at Passport control.

Certainly I have never been questioned on purchase as I usually use a travel agent (who have never questioned me) This is the first time I have bought airline direct and still not questioned. I have flown with Thai, Singapore and now MAS.

Friends of mine who have overstayed the 30 day entry visa to Thailand usually pay the overstay fees at passport control not the check in area.

While I agree that a non Oz PP holder should have the label in the passport to avoid any confusion....I am a bit confused in that DIAC in Oz are not concerned about the travellers visa status when they leave Oz but Thai Immigration are concerned about a Thai PP holders visa status when they leave Thailand.

And then we have the travellers to Oz that are refused entry on arrival because they have the incorrect visa...

And if Airlines dont have full access to the data base....how do they check the validity of a visa?

Oh dear now I am confusing myself...... :)

When you say you have been questioned at passport control,

I assume you mean in Australia.Then usually it is for customs reasons.

This is if you are an Australian citizen.

DIAC are really only interested in people with visa's, so that

count's Australians out.

You're confusing yourself. You have to distinguish between

Australians and people on visa's. Like I said, DIAC are there

primarily for visa/citizenship issues. They rarely need to speak

to people holding Oz passports.

It's not that common for people to be refused entry while

holding the incorrect visa. It's normally if there is something

more sinister than that.

And the way airlines check the validity of the visa is to

ask Immigration.

Hope that clears up any confusion you have.

Regards

Will

And the way airlines check the validity of the visa is to

ask Immigration.

September 2008. Jetstar Melb-Bangkok. Staying 5 weeks. When checking in Jetstar attendant on checking my E-ticketnoticed the length of stay and asked if I had a visa. I assured her I would be exiting to Laos before the 30 days and she was quite satisfied. No problem.

Australian Permanent Resident 2 Year Waiting Period, What happens next?

Have a look at post #51 by "bridge" he makes some reference to the affixing of visa label and the fact that an appointment may have to be made.

We're getting a bit off topic

here as the OP's original query

was why the step-son was not

included in the letter which one

would assume was a typo.

You are better off getting a visa

placed in the passport no doubt.

No appointment is necessary though.

just turn up with your letter and ask

to have your visa evidenced.

Regards

Will

Have a look at post #51 by "bridge" he makes some reference to the affixing of visa label and the fact that an appointment may have to be made.

We're getting a bit off topic

here as the OP's original query

was why the step-son was not

included in the letter which one

would assume was a typo.

You are better off getting a visa

placed in the passport no doubt.

No appointment is necessary though.

just turn up with your letter and ask

to have your visa evidenced.

Regards

Will

You're right Will, we have gone off topic...

I will be getting them both to Immigration before we go on holiday...no appointment necessary according to my letter, just go to the local Office.

Now if the visa holder needs to get a label affixed in Thailand after leaving Oz then an appointment may have to be made to go to the Oz Embassy to get it done. I believe that what Bridge was on about in that post was that if you went to the second stage processing centre then you may need an appointment, thats how I read it.

I may ring the second stage partner processing centre and find out why the stepsons name wasnt included on the letter.

Edited by gburns57au

From the horses mouth (DIAC) they are now trying to do away with labels. Whether someone wants a label attached is a matter for themselves. To avoid any troubles outside Australia however, I would certainly get the label attached.

post-64713-1258993324_thumb.jpg

Bridge

Edited by bridge

You are not getting the right advice, or you are not understanding what is said.

Your wife,and maybe your step son, is now an ozzie resident, you should go down to immigration and have the resident reentry permit sticker placed in her passport. If she leaves the country without it they will not let her back in. Simple as that. There is no requirement for anyhing to happen in Thailand, unless she is now in Thailand, and then you will go the the OZ embassy to get the resident reentry sticker in her thai(?) passport. This is a very useful sticker even if she does not intend travelling, as it is also a work permit for Australia. Employers are supposed to check foreigners have work rights, big penalty applies.

Every one travelling to Australia needs a visa, of various application methods, some unseen for white folk, and the letter you now have from Immigration will not get her on a plane, it is not a visa, it is an advice of a visa.

You're right Will, we have gone off topic...

I will be getting them both to Immigration before we go on holiday...no appointment necessary according to my letter, just go to the local Office.

Now if the visa holder needs to get a label affixed in Thailand after leaving Oz then an appointment may have to be made to go to the Oz Embassy to get it done. I believe that what Bridge was on about in that post was that if you went to the second stage processing centre then you may need an appointment, thats how I read it.

I may ring the second stage partner processing centre and find out why the stepsons name wasnt included on the letter.

You are not getting the right advice, or you are not understanding what is said.

Your wife,and maybe your step son, is now an ozzie resident, you should go down to immigration and have the resident reentry permit sticker placed in her passport. If she leaves the country without it they will not let her back in. Simple as that. There is no requirement for anyhing to happen in Thailand, unless she is now in Thailand, and then you will go the the OZ embassy to get the resident reentry sticker in her thai(?) passport. This is a very useful sticker even if she does not intend travelling, as it is also a work permit for Australia. Employers are supposed to check foreigners have work rights, big penalty applies.

Every one travelling to Australia needs a visa, of various application methods, some unseen for white folk, and the letter you now have from Immigration will not get her on a plane, it is not a visa, it is an advice of a visa.

Sorry mate,

But the highlighted parts are 100% incorrect.

She will be let back into Australia as she is

a PR regardless of not having a visa in her

passport.

And secondly, of course she would be allowed

to depart Australia. Even if she didn't have PR

or even a visa for Australia.

DIAC are not in the business of "not letting

people depart Australia".

Regards

Will

Ok guys heres the word from the 2nd stage processing centre....

Stepson is included on the main applicants application as he is under 18. Therefore he has the visa as well...for that reason he was not included in the letter. That is a procedure that needs to be fixed methinks...All persons granted a visa should should be listed in the letter.

A visa label is not required but Yessee the nice girl at the centre said it is advisable to get it as it may cause problems getting back into the country with Immigration. Would have thought that when they scan the passport it would show the visa status of the passport holder especially a visa issued in Oz, but what the heck!

No appointment required at Perth but may pay to ring other areas first to find out.

As far as the VEVO goes....you have to ring Immigration to get a TRN or password.

Well here we go......

Got two letters from Medicare today.....one for the wife and one for the stepson.....They both basically say "Immigration have informed us that you have been granted Permanant residency.....a new medicare card will be sent to you soon"

So Medicare can inform us that the stepsons SC100 was granted but Immigration cannot, and he gets his own Medicare card at the age of 14yo....

Bouquets to Medicare and brickbats to Immigration :)

Graham: What was the elapsed time between the approval in Thailand and the grant date here?

We are on roughly the same course and will be on holiday in Thailand at about the 2 year period.

Temp grant in 6 Decenber 2007

Got the 100 papers in late July 2009 and lodged in late August.....got the request for the extra AFP clearance in early October and sent it in.....the 100 was finally granted on the 17th November 2009

Took about 3 weeks for each AFP clearance.

I should have been a bit more clear!

I meant how long after you were approved for the '309' in BKK and the delivery of the '100' papers here in AUS?

Was it at the 2 year point.

Interested as we will be back in Thailand at the 2 year point!

I always advise 2nd Stage Processing when not at our home address here for any length of time, and have already advised them that we will be out of Australia between end Dec and mid March next year. I give them an Email address which I usually access a few times a day.

************************* SORRY,

I've just re-focused my reading glass!!!!!! So you got the "100" stuff, some months prior to the normal 2 year wait?

Edited by fishhooks

Whenever my wife has had any change with her details - TR to PR, new passport etc - I always show the the immigration people as we are leaving Perth (there is a counter just after they check everyone's passport) to have alook and check the visas, stamps etc - I always explicitly ask them to check and assure us there will be no problems getting back in.

Also we've never had problems from the BKK end when checking in, but every time they have made sure that my wife and daughter have had a valid visa into Australia.

^ above - you should get the 100 stuff a couple months prior to the end of the 2 year period, so if all is OK the PR will 'kick in' just after 2 yrs is up.

(gburns - centrelink, there's all sorts of stuff related to child support, rebates etc - I still haven't got my head around all the implications - I think it means more money!!!?? Anyway don't forget to look into it to see if you are eligible!)