Negotiating With Cabs In Bangkok?

tvh13

I've been in Nepal and India for the past 3 months and negotiating with cabs here often feels very conflict oriented. Once the fare has been agreed on everything is typically back to regular and mellow. Cabs from the airport are an exception in both Delhi and Kathmandu it was a constant coerciong to stay at "friends" hotel.

I am wondering what to expect in Bangkok? I am also under the impression that negotiating is much more even toned and respectful. Any comments on how price negotiations are best approached in Thailand?

Lastly what should I expect to pay for a cab from the airport to Honey Hotel on soi 19?

Yes, as they said, you don't have to negotiate with the drivers. I think it's illegal to not use the meters, right? Of course, you may come across a driver who tries to quote you a price, especially if he can tell that you're a tourist who doesn't know better. It still happens to me occasionally. When a driver asks for a certain amount, I just say "meter." If they continue to try to hassle, I just walk away and find a new taxi.

Mostly pretty on spot advice here.

I would say I only get a taxi driver who wants to negotiate instead of use the meter about 10% of the time, and usually if you say "meter" they do. The last time I was sort of "stuck" in rush hour with very few taxis whizzing by the guy insisted on negotiating, but I refused. He finally took me, and guess what...the meter fare was more than what he had asked for.

The two biggest problems I have with taxis are:

1. They may not wanna go where you wanna go, particularly during or if rush hour is approaching. I had well over a dozen taxis turn me down one evening outside of Pantip Plaza. Just didn't want to go down Sukhumvit at that hour.

2. The ones who won't give up trying to sell you a tour or a visit to a massage parlor or gem shop. Usually when I say, "I live here," they stop. A couple of days on went on and on -- albeit in a friendly way -- for the whole ride.

A couple of good phrases to learn:

"Poom mai ow, khrap." -- A very polite no thank you with a gracious smile.

"Mai ow, khrap." -- No thank you in a polite manner, usually with a smile.

"Mai ow!" -- No thank you with a somewhat sharp tone. Usually stops them dead. Should be used sparingly.

Yes, as they said, you don't have to negotiate with the drivers. I think it's illegal to not use the meters, right? Of course, you may come across a driver who tries to quote you a price, especially if he can tell that you're a tourist who doesn't know better. It still happens to me occasionally. When a driver asks for a certain amount, I just say "meter." If they continue to try to hassle, I just walk away and find a new taxi.

at the airport go to the public taxi not the rest (you pay 60 bath more but they know where to go. ) also you pay the toll-way money...

The only problem is that 30% of the meters now are manipulated so 250 can be 350

The normal trick (I seen it twice allready is that when the car drives the waiting time is also ticking and adding money to the meter)

but to get into a fight for 2 euro ????

Pieter :)

In cases where you have a taxi driver screwing you around, take your mobile phone and take his picture. Then turn to your right (in the back seat), and photograph the number placard on the right-hand rear inside surface of the door. If you can (assuming that your driver is not attempting to wrest the camera from your hands at this point), photograph the photo placard on the left-front dashboard.

Get out, go to the nearest police station, and swear out a formal complaint.

That taxi driver will get jacked up--and rightly so.

It is illegal for taxi drivers to refuse to use their meter.

Conversely... when you get a sweet driver who takes you where you want to go with no drama, reward good behavior with a nice 10 or 20 baht tip.

At no time should you raise your voice or get into a fracas with a taxi driver. You will loose, big-time. Be calm and smooth. When you talk to the police, be measured and reasonable.

You just might be surprised at the results.

Flag a cruiser, not one parked up or outside a hotel.

As others have said, no meter, get out.

Most cabbies are honest except the dickheads in the Patpong area. :)

AMEN. Above is the most important advise for tourists.

To Paraphrase. "Always look for a taxi that is moving" (Red light displayed in the window)

Off course only the meter advise works from the airport.

The only problem is that 30% of the meters now are manipulated so 250 can be 350

The normal trick (I seen it twice allready is that when the car drives the waiting time is also ticking and adding money to the meter)

but to get into a fight for 2 euro ????

Pieter :)

I seriously doubt that and expect the figure is much, much less. It is a crime and police do check for it. What they use is a micro switch in the suspension so when switched on bumps increase the Km 100 meters - it is easy to spot if you watch the meter and since meters became the norm almost two decades ago believe have seen it two times - and use taxi at least four or five times a week - and same trips are the same price if traffic is the same.

Conversely... when you get a sweet driver who takes you where you want to go with no drama, reward good behavior with a nice 10 or 20 baht tip.

Jeez, the widow's mite.

I always ask if the meter works. If the answer is in the affirmative, I jump in. My tip is always in the region of the amount of the legal fare. The look on the drivers face is a reward in itself. I explain "Karma" i.e. do good things and good things happen to you. In Thailand I always make a point of rewarding honesty.

If anybody is thinking of dishing me some flak, don't bother. I think it is the right thing to do. Sharing my good fortune with others by dispensing a little charity makes me feel better about myself and hopefully atones for some of things I have done in the past of which I am not proud.

I always ask if the meter works. If the answer is in the affirmative, I jump in. My tip is always in the region of the amount of the legal fare. The look on the drivers face is a reward in itself. I explain "Karma" i.e. do good things and good things happen to you. In Thailand I always make a point of rewarding honesty.

If anybody is thinking of dishing me some flak, don't bother. I think it is the right thing to do. Sharing my good fortune with others by dispensing a little charity makes me feel better about myself and hopefully atones for some of things I have done in the past of which I am not proud.

While I think you are being overly generous, I do think you are headed in the right direction. I do about a 30% tip when treated well in a cab and a 0% tip when the guy is a jerk.

Hi tvh13

Take normal care --- but taxi travel here is both very cheap and safe. All taxis have meters --- The chance that a taxi from the airport shall attempt any tricks ( meter not used or meter broken :) ) is virtually zero. When you obtain a cab from the public rank at the airport the driver is given your hotel address and you are handed a piece of paper inviting you to complain if you have any problem.

I expect the fare shall be aprox 350 Bt. PLUS airport fee 50 Bt. which you add to the fee on the meter at the end of the trip.

You should also pay 75 Bt (aprox) for the toll roads--- before you depart.

As mentioned above there are areas where bent drivers lurk waiting for the drunk and unwary. Not the airports.

With literally hundreds of taxi trips to and from either airport I have yet to encounter even one problem. Meters which have been "adjusted" are another matter ---- I guess it does happen ... probably to me ... but I have never noticed any great variation in fares.

The chance that a taxi from the airport shall attempt any tricks ( meter not used or meter broken :) ) is virtually zero.

For someone who knows what they're doing, i.e. lives here or is a frequent visitor, this is true - but a first time visitor will find it more common to get a non-meter-using cab from the airport. Still, more are honest than dishonest, but it does happen on occasion to new arrivals.

You should also pay 75 Bt (aprox) for the toll roads--- before you depart.

I've never heard of anyone paying the express way fee before they depart on a journey. People generally pay at each toll booth as you reach them. The toll booths will have the price displayed clearly and all have plenty of change, so don't worry about handing over a 1,000 Baht note. I've never known a taxi driver try to sneak some of the change into his own pocket - but I guess it could happen so make sure you get the right change back!

That reminds me of another point, taxi drivers themselves rarely have change (or will claim they don't to try and keep the change) - therefore the toll booths are a useful way of breaking large notes if that's all you have (and this is likely if you've just arrived and gone to an ATM at the airport).

As a side question when you need to make a stop on a round trip what are the rules for the meter?

As an example I start with a taxi from my house in the morning with my kids and then I drop them off at school and return home.

I always pay the meter and if the driver is friendly a small tip. On rare occasions the driver will ask for the meter to start again on the way back from school as this makes the total fare more expensive. I always politely say no and if need be get another taxi.

For those who are not familiar with Bangkok taxis the first kilometer is the most expensive and after a while the rate is much lower - hence the interest in drivers to have the meter start again.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

therefore the toll booths are a useful way of breaking large notes if that's all you have (and this is likely if you've just arrived and gone to an ATM at the airport).
Agree with you. To solve this problem, one can also get 15,900 Baht from the ATM which will rwesult in 15x 1000, 1x 500 and 4x 100 Baht notes (proved all in stock, which will normally be the case).

True - as a rule of thumb I nearly always draw out the nearest 900 to what I actually need (e.g. I think I need 2,000 Baht, I'll actually withdraw 1,900). It's a bit of annoyance that in all ATMs here if you withdraw 1,000 Baht you'll nearly always just get a single 1,000 Baht note, would be more useful if they could break this down a bit.

Don't negotiate with cabis in thailand. You are the paying customer, you dictate the terms. yes, many are out to scam the farang. bring your smarts and be prepared to walk at any point!

1. If you have the feeling they dont know where you are going, or that they are playing stupid in their acknowledgment of where your headed, don't get in! confirm or pick another.

2. if you are in a taxi already and not feeling it, take a picture with your cell phone of the cabis info! this was already mentioned and it works! if they are openly dicking you, make sure you let him know you have his info and that he'll be reported. this will help the rest of us in the future if he is smacked on.

3. "the gas stop" with a half tank of gas still, they'll stop for gas (hmmm), marking up some more meter distance and wasting your time. take their picture, get out, and walk away while they are gassing. you are not paying to wait and be screwed by the extra meter.

if you can, have your belongings with you in the back seat so you can walk at any point it goes awry.

alternatively, at the bkk airport, while waiting for the airport link to be complete (April 2010), go to the lower level and take the free shuttle to teh new bus terminal. you can take many buses into bkk form here for much cheaper (but much slower as well).

Edited by vanvleet

therefore the toll booths are a useful way of breaking large notes if that's all you have (and this is likely if you've just arrived and gone to an ATM at the airport).
Agree with you. To solve this problem, one can also get 15,900 Baht from the ATM which will rwesult in 15x 1000, 1x 500 and 4x 100 Baht notes (proved all in stock, which will normally be the case).

I always did exactly that, but I later found out the toll booths were perfectly happy to give change for 1k so now don't bother.

Sometimes you need to cut them some slack. If I want to go to Nonthaburi from the city at 2am I know he's unlikely to get a fare going back, so I usually offer to pay the toll both ways and if he drives sanely I add in a good tip.