My Experience Buying A Notebook In Singapore

simcity

My experience buying a notebook in Singapore

I post some questions & got only very few reply, perhaps will help other

Fly in Singapore, decide to go to Funan, was little weary to go to Sim Lim square.

I did download few price list before to have some idea.

Browns around in Funan, they do not have many notebook with windows 7 install, Lenovo / HP / Toshiba, all other are still with vista

I saw a shop call MC2 in the second or third floor, I remember I did download the price list (pdf) from them, I enquire for the HP envy, they can order but do not have in stock.

I start to talk to the supervising manager, one notebook attire my attention, and I ask if the price could be a bit lower with paying with visa

The original price was $1599, he said $1530 + he will kick a carry bag.

He went to get the notebook, load it in front of me, give me a carry bag who I change for a nice sleeve + want to give me a cheap mouse (witch I did not take)

Feel all paper for the refund VAT (GST) = $80 back at the airport.

*Do not try to get the refund at the information in Funan ( did not look to safe to me ) they ask you credit card as well, and my receipt could not be use ????

Notebook :

HP Pavillion dm3-1015TX / window Intel core duo (2.26GHz) / 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM / 500 GB SATA HDD / 13.3 inch screen / NVIDIA GeForce G105 / windows 7 home

Something likes this:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/hp-...m3t.aspx?page=1

Nero give me problem to install and uninstall.

Windows 7 (Home) load all my existing programs, some in XP mode

I think the Windows Professional version is only for customs made XP program

I am happy with it so far, got GST refund at the airport

Hi,

How much did it cost you to fly to sg back and forth ? Did you stay one night there ? What is required at the airport to get the VAT back ? How many percent is the VAT on laptops ?

Thanks

I use my Thai royal orchid points, I was going to lose in December !

I stay three nights, meet some overseas friends there as well.

The airport want to see the good, in my case as it was a carry baggage everything is done after the customs, they want to see the good / passport / voucher from the shop.

They give me 84 dollars back on a purchase of 1530 dollars = 5.5%

I did not want to have a Thai keyboard why did not get it here.

The only missing point i find is no back light on the keyboard.

Battery life is ok for me, I use it on wifi at home in Bangkok or will take it to my Mum place in France or my place in Australia once a year.

Hi,

Thanks for your answers. Can't the custom in france or thailand can ask you to pay the VAT after you got it refunded in sg ?

Thk.

No, I do not think so they will, that will be so mean.

One of my experiences, Australia has a 900 dollars free GST on purchase.

July 2008 I bought an expensive watch in Australia; I got a GST refund of $700 at the airport, in July 2009 I went back there with the watch in my pocket, but no question was ask. ( was not sure if they record in computer log)

I read depreciation is allowed in any case.

I believe they do not care for personal item, only if you try to commercial them.

I do not know about France