Pai

eyes

We have a pal who owns a few guest houses there so we visit her from time to time.

Personally I think the mountain drive is about the best part.

The Chinese village example is cool on the way in. To see once.........

Other than that not much there.

One more question, will a lonely western man be able to mind a friendly thai lady to keep him company for the night at any of the night spots around town?????

Thanks

No you won't, it's largely a Muslim town.

Meh, there are 'some' Chinese Muslims living there, just like there are 'some' people from just about anywhere: various hilltribes, Muang people obviously, a good Shan contingent.. You know, the typical mix you get in Mae Hong Son. Pattaya has a fairly large Muslim population too, but that doesn't seem to interfere with things. :)

Still, it's probably better to bring a friend from Chiang Mai, or Pattaya even. One point of attention could be that this makes you fit in less well with the general crowd there, so if you do bring a friend then my strong recommendation would be to make it someone who's mature, outgoing, strong language skills and generally a kind of alternative-rebellish kind of type. Girls with dreadlocks and piercings are good. :D You shouldn't bring a run of the mill young shy chick, or someone who is too typically 'Thai' in that she'd want a 5 star hotel experience, unhappy that your tree hut came with a river view and hammock but no TV to watch Channel 7, or sulk that she didn't get to see the $*&(#$^# pandas in Chiang Mai. You need someone who's in tune with a rustic environment and alternative vibe.

Then, if you do find one who's cool with all of the above, still somewhat sane AND didn't run off with a blond backpacker guy while there : marry her! :D They're hard to find.

WTK

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just returned from a couple of weeks in Pai. It was the best time I've ever had in Thailand. Laid back, friendly, great food. Total opposite to Pattaya (not a sexually-oriented town).

There are lots of eccentric farangs in Pai. One guy (I think his name is Fritz - either an Aussie or a Kiwi guy) runs a guesthouse called Anon's House in the center of the town. Every couple of nights he puts his katoey girl/boyfriend on a sidecar of his motorcycle and parades her around the town. It is a sight to see. She's done up like a Thai princess complete with tiara and the sidecar is similar to the royal barges (boats). The Thai and farang tourists went crazy - chasing the parade like thie pied piper to get good photos of her.

If you are going in the next month or so you should bring some warm clothing as it can get cold in the nights I am told.

The live music scene in Pai is fantastic too.

If you want a lady "friend" it would be best to bring one from Chiang Mai or Bangkok (or whatever other part of Thailand you visit) as there are no obvious girl bars.

Unless you are a five-star type of person, I am sure you'll love Pai.

Yunnanese Muslims are in the minority in Pai. The majority ethnic group is Shan, followed by Northern Thai (Khon Muang), Lisu, Karen, and Yunnanese.

Just noticed yet another Thai romantic comedy about Pai was recently released,

. I think this is the fourth.

Yunnanese Muslims are in the minority in Pai. The majority ethnic group is Shan, followed by Northern Thai (Khon Muang), Lisu, Karen, and Yunnanese.

Just noticed yet another Thai romantic comedy about Pai was recently released,

. I think this is the fourth.

Your origin break up is true and there appears to be no tensions within the community according to someone who has lived there a long time.Nice to see.