Life Changing Things To Do In Thailand

pigh123

Well, life Changing is taking it a bit far but...

I've been in Thailand for the last 2 months, spent most my time on the islands partying, drinking, doing things 24 year olds do.

Now I've escaped to Chiang Mai to gather my thoughts and finish up my trip before I go home in 2 weeks.

I want my last 2 weeks in Thailand to really change me, the last couple of days I've been a bit quieter than usual and have been looking around at the local way of life and taking things in. I feel Im growing up a little bit and getting a bit more mature.

So I ask everyone, what are some suggestions on places to go/things to see and do that are interesting, grounding and make me think, laugh or cry?

So far on my list is just the standard CM stuff

Visit Hill Tribes

Elephant Trekking

Bungee Jumping

Zoo, Monkey Centre

Should I cross over into Burma or Laos? It might sound a bit sick but I want to see just how little some people have and what condition's some people have to live in. Kind of want to be shocked.

definitely do laos, but if just to view poverty I'm sure you can find that in CM area fairly easily just as can be done in BKK...

or refer your 'guidebook' LOL

haha cheers, yeah im thinking of maybe 5 days laos. Not just to view poverty either lol

In general one cannot seek out life changing events.

If you want to have your eyes opened and gain some insight as to your own metal, forsake the excruciatingly shallow short list of bungee jumping, and sign up for some volunteer work at an orphanage in BKK, or help out in a medical clinic up north. Sounds like you're just me a bit homesick. Gaining maturity after 2 months of island partying is inspirational :) I suggest it will take a bit longer. Kudos to you anyway for voicing your budding introspection.

Check out 'Monk for a month'.

In general one cannot seek out life changing events.

If you want to have your eyes opened and gain some insight as to your own metal, forsake the excruciatingly shallow short list of bungee jumping, and sign up for some volunteer work at an orphanage in BKK, or help out in a medical clinic up north. Sounds like you're just me a bit homesick. Gaining maturity after 2 months of island partying is inspirational :D I suggest it will take a bit longer. Kudos to you anyway for voicing your budding introspection.

Check out 'Monk for a month'.

I don't agree that you can't seek out life changing events. At the very least you can put yourself into situations where your life will begin to change. Like, for example, at the age of 60 and retirement moving to a very different life in the third world. :)

I do agree with you that the OPs list of things to do so far have nothing really to do with changing one's life. Well, maybe the bungee jumping if the cord snaps.

definitely do laos, but if just to view poverty I'm sure you can find that in CM area fairly easily just as can be done in BKK...

or refer your 'guidebook' LOL

I urge you going to Chiang Rai and cross the Burmese Border. I love it there. You will see a beautiful city far away from Bangkok and less money for hotel. It will take 2 hours by bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. Then you can get a rental to go to Mae Sai and cross the Burmese borders. You can book a flight from Chiang Rai to Laos..seeing poor people ( I agree with Worldfun ) will give you some feedback about how lucky you are. I am 100% sure that you will appreciate life more....enjoy your free time and Happy Thanksgiving....my take...

phetaroi quote

I do agree with you that the OPs list of things to do so far have nothing really to do with changing one's life. Well, maybe the bungee jumping if the cord snaps.

:):D Boycie.

Edited by Boycie

dont worry about all that say you cant change your life, the world is full of you cant do that. my advice for what it is worth, enjoy the 2 weeks, life is for enjoyment. i would relax, go down the guitarman for a beer and some music fairly early when everyone is gathering gives you chance to chat, pop down wulai road to the silver wat and have a chat to a monk and maybe hire a motorbike and look around, go to chiang dao cave and have a chat with the stall and cafe owners but most of all relax and have fun

- Sex without a condom, especially with a gay man / ladyboy, might be lifechanging if you get lucky with STD lottery

- Drug trafficing might be fun, though usually you get off after about 50 years so your life would be changed only until your ~70

- Sex change operations are pretty cheap and I'll promise your life won't be the same

When you take yourself out of your comfort zone and slow down, anything is possible. I am currently teaching in Souther Thailand. I have never taught before and I don't know anyone or know any Thai. I plan on doing all those things you said and plus I am going to do a meditation course for a week and start meditating on my own. When you have time to sit with your thoughts, now that is life changing.

"It might sound a bit sick but I want to see just how little some people have and what condition's some people have to live in. Kind of want to be shocked. "

You certainly mean, that you want actively help to improve the situation there? A lot of non profit organisations you can contact first have their offices in Chiang Mai.