Favorite Weekend Escape From Cm?

jaideeguy

Finally getting a weekend off during the upcomming King #5's b-day and want to drag the family out of town. Don't want to drive more than 5 hrs and prefer a quiet, scenic place that won't be over run by BKK people. Any recomendations for mid price range 'secret' hide-aways?? There will be 4 of us.....me, wife and 2 kids.

I promise I won't tell anyone and spoil it for you.

I can tell you where not to go - Pai. I went during the King's birthday holiday and the place was crammed with tourists.

I agree with the previous posters - Chiang Dao. You can try Chiang Dao Nest (I think that's the name). You take a left off the main road that runs through Chiang Dao, as if you were going to the caves, keep going straight along that road (past the caves) and eventually you'll find it. It has a good restaurant and accommodation if you want to stay overnight.

Doi Mai Sa Long is beautiful, cool quiet, has mostly Chinese food and very few farang tourists!

He said he wanted without Thai tourists though, and for the Dec 5 holiday it will be swarming with them.

(Unless we get some good riots in during Abhisit's visit in CNX :) )

EDIT: Personally I like BKK tourists. They're in a much better mood while travelling than the miserable gits they are most of the time while stuck in traffic back home. :D

I 3rd Chiang Dao. Also Kwan Phayao is very nice as well.

I '4th' Chiang Dao & recommend The Nest 1 or the Nest 2 for food - 1 for European & 2 for Thai- and accommodation. Walk up to the cave temple on the hillside about 700 metres from The Nest, or visit the C.D. caves only 300 metres way. Quiet enough to hear the monks chanting as you eat dinner & stunning mountains to view over breakfast. :)

I can tell you where not to go - Pai. I went during the King's birthday holiday and the place was crammed with tourists.

I agree with the previous posters - Chiang Dao. You can try Chiang Dao Nest (I think that's the name). You take a left off the main road that runs through Chiang Dao, as if you were going to the caves, keep going straight along that road (past the caves) and eventually you'll find it. It has a good restaurant and accommodation if you want to stay overnight.

Stayed at Chaing Dao Nest 1 last week,. Was almost full so you may be lucky to get a cabin. Nest 2 is 700 m away and likely to be full too on a long weekend. There is one other resort Malees after that zip. Nest 1 is very nice but so are the food prices, cost from their "European Gourmet Menu", 320 baht up to 450. Nest 2 has very good Thai food from 100 baht .Most guests ate there the second night of their stay as we did. Entry to caves complex was 10 baht each. surely the cheapest admission prices for an attraction in Thailand. One and a half hours easy drive from CM

Sorry for my earlier ?? about Chiang Dao......been there/done that, nice place but looking for some place new. I got a little confused in thinking it was Doi Tung up between Chiang rai and Mae Sai. Is there any acomodation up there?? Nice place.

With this cooler weather finally, we can stay comfortably in the lowlands. any comments on Nan or Phrae??

I really enjoy hanging out in Nan and the museum is supposed to be quite good. Few foreigners and it seems like you have stepped back in time. The National Park gets a lot of compliments.

The town of Phrae is quite ugly and boring IMO - nothing special.

Edited by Ulysses G.