Man Threatens To Set Fire To Himself At Govt House

george

Man threatens to set fire to himself outside Government House

BANGKOK: -- Firefighters narrowly averted tragedy today when a young man stood outside the Government House here and poured petrol over himself, threatening to set himself alight unless the government offered him financial support following a car crash in which his wife had been killed.

Reporters learned that Mr. Suchat Lampheng, from Phob Phra district in Thailand's northwestern province of Tak, completely doused himself in petrol before holding a lighter in his hand and threatening to commit suicide.

Firefighters called in by security officers to control the situation were, however, able to ensure that Mr. Suchat’s father, who had travelled to Bangkok with him, dissuaded him from taking further action.

Mr. Suchat later told officials that he had been promised Bt200,000 in a court settlement following a car accident in 1996 in which his wife had been killed, but that the man responsible for the crash had fled without paying up.

“I’m really suffering. I’ve been making complaints for six years, but I’ve never received justice…I don’t know any more what I’m going to do. I’ve got lots of debts. My wife is dead. My kids are wandering about somewhere”, he said.

Police later told Mr. Suchat that they would liaise with the Tak provincial government to ensure that he received assistance as soon as possible.

--TNA 2005-04-11

Thats really sad that someone is put into that bad a position they would do something like that. having known someone in Uk who did do it and died horrible from his burns 4 days later, i am glad for his childrens sake he was talked out of it. Smoking is bad for you but setting yourself on fire really is not a good idea! Hmm on a lighter note (not sure if pun was intended or not) if anyone out there is considering setting themselves on fire this week, a crowded place is proberly the best bet you should be put out pretty ###### quick! :o