Viewing Region 1 Dvds In Thailand

Gumballl

Does anyone know whether Region 1 DVDs (those that are sold in the US/Canadian area) can be viewed in Thailand? Are there DVD players in Thailand that will play these DVDs?

Another issue that raises my concern is that Region 1 DVDs are NTSC formatted, as opposed to PAL (which is the norm for video in Thailand).

I know that it is possible to strip the Region encoding on a DVD, when creating a copy, but software to do this is illegal in the US, and possibly in Thailand as well. And the resulting copy does not have the same quality in the video (due to video compression).

Edited by Gumballl

Most (if not all) DVD players sold in Thailand are region-free, and can play DVDs from any region (including the pirated region, haha). Pretty much all current TVs can accept both NTSC and PAL signals (multi system), and all DVD players can play both.

Most (if not all) DVD players sold in Thailand are region-free, and can play DVDs from any region

All DVDs player in the world can play all regions.

But you need to type a code for this before.

The difference is that in Thailand, when they sell you a DVD player, most of the time, they have typed the code already, so you don't have anything to do.

If you already have a DVD player, and you want it to become region free, just go on google, type the model number of your DVD player + region free, then you'll find plenty of pages explaining which code you need to type with your remote in order for your DVD player to become region free.

Or go there, find your DVD player brand, and follow instructions...

Don't worry about the NTSC/PAL side.

All modern tv's will show both without a thought.

AND most modern DVD players bought outside the US will happily transcode NTSC to PAL and vice versa, so when you get home to The States you can play PAL disks on your NTSC telly.

Clever eh??

Thanks britmaveric!  Next time when I am in LOS, I will get one of these players.

Just remember when you buy, ensure that the player has a switchable NTSC/PAL video output, an awful lot of US TV sets DON'T accept PAL.

But the U.S. is 110 voltage and Thailand 220 . Can you get dual voltage players ?

oops I take that back. I misread the original post ! I see he wants to play region 1 DVD's in Thailand. Not take a DVD palyer back to the U.S. !!

Edited by boogie

Best thing to do is bring along a region 1 DVD to the shop and ask to view the disc on the player you are interested in.

It took me 2 or 3 attempts in Homepro before I found a true "all zone" player.

Do not believe the sales assistents as they always say "yes!" to whatever question you ask :o

As usual it was the expensive player I had to get!