Installing Ubuntu On A Netbook

Crushdepth

I just bought a HP Mini 5101 netbook and love everything about it except for the fact it comes with Windows XP. I want to put Ubuntu remix on it instead.

Problem is I can't seem to install it via USB flash drive (there is no CD drive). I've created the installer, the menu boots and the software verifies ok. But once I select the 'install' option I get an Ubuntu splash screen for a couple of seconds then it blanks and hangs. I've tried 2 different USB flash drives, same result.

Anyone got an idea what could be wrong? Is there some other more reliable way to install it?

Edited by Crushdepth

First thing I thought of was a corrupted download...but you stated that the software checked out ok...so that's not it.

I don't know about the HP netbook, but Asus uses a funky mbr setup that speeds up a Windows based startup; perhaps something of that sort is the problem?

Ever think about a net install of SuSE? It's a tiny download to get started and it then just grabs the packages you want installed; setting it up to install over night is what I usually do. Also it would give you a better idea if the problem lays with the software or the machine.

Hit F9 during the POST at boot, and that might give you the option to boot from the USB Hard Drive,l as they call it. If not, I will be in Thailand in a week from now and can demonstrate if i can buy a decent mosai and travel. I have a Compaq Presario laptop now and tested on a legacy HP laptop, and F9 seems to be the missing link for activating the USB to boot.

No doubt you'll have it sorted out one way or another before I arrive, but I know that you won't look back once you've made that one small step for mankind although it seems like one giant leap for man.

<edit: stuffed up my ending terribly = somebodhy please shoot me quickly now>

Edited by SeanMoran

Ever think about a net install of SuSE? It's a tiny download to get started and it then just grabs the packages you want installed; setting it up to install over night is what I usually do. Also it would give you a better idea if the problem lays with the software or the machine.

I'll try it if I can't get Ubuntu working. I really just want to have a decent Linux OS on it. Does SuSE let you set up dual boot during install?

I'll try it if I can't get Ubuntu working. I really just want to have a decent Linux OS on it. Does SuSE let you set up dual boot during install?

Could this be a problem with the dual core support?

Take a look here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1268255

Crushdepth;

Every distro I've tried let's you set up a dual boot. I recommended trying SuSE first so that you could rule out hardware problems....

GmB;

I'd be pretty amazed if the problem was dual core support with the netbook in question having a single core Atom processor.

Crushdepth;

Every distro I've tried let's you set up a dual boot. I recommended trying SuSE first so that you could rule out hardware problems....

GmB;

I'd be pretty amazed if the problem was dual core support with the netbook in question having a single core Atom processor.

Speaking about BIOS setting

http://sphillier.blogspot.com/2009/09/ubun...-follow-up.html

Probably this is not the case but I'd give it a try :)

Ok I found a 'dual core' setting in the BIOS, which was enabled. I disabled it, and now I at least get to see an error message, which says:

Can not mount /dev/loop1 on /cow

Any idea how to mount the cow (no witty replies please!). I seem to be looking at a Busybox / ASH shell now.

A different problem now - the Ubuntu partition manager can't create new partions behind XP (everything is on C:). The only option is to blow XP away totally, which I don't want to do. So I tried to manually resize C: down with Partition Master to create room, but it complains that the partition has an error and can't proceed.

Never had problems resizing a partition with Ubuntu or Partition Master before.

Edit: Spinrite hangs 'discovering systems mass storage devices', so I can't look for errors either.

Edited by Crushdepth

I ran chkdsk and tried Partition Master again. This time it worked. Ubuntu installed without any further problems. Looks dam_n cool, the wireless isn't working but apparently this is a known issue that can be fixed with installation of some Broadcom wireless drivers.

Thanks for your help.

I ran chkdsk and tried Partition Master again. This time it worked. Ubuntu installed without any further problems. Looks dam_n cool, the wireless isn't working but apparently this is a known issue that can be fixed with installation of some Broadcom wireless drivers.

Thanks for your help.

:) great!!