Looking For Lucite

CaptainFly

Im in need of some Lucite or something close to that for my sailing yacht. I want to replace my portlights as they are now hard to see through. Lucite is a plastic such as Lexan but dont think I can get that in Thailand.

The members of this net have been very helpful with everything I have needed in the past and I hope my responses to a couple of questions have been helpful.

Any place that makes signs for businesses will have the connection for this material. Im leaving in January for Borneo and hope to find and take with me.

Thanks alot for anyone with info and directions as Im new to Chiang Mai but have a GPS onboard that would help me to get where ever.

Lucite is a plastic such as Lexan but dont think I can get that in Thailand.

The reason that you have not had any replies is probably because not many prople know what Lucite is. If you had said Plexiglass, Perspex or simply Acrylic people would recognise that. Lexan is trademark of GE and is nothing like Acrylic, in fact it's a polycarbonate, and yes, would be far better for your application, but I have not come across it in Chiangmai. Acrylic sheet is readily availabe here, and probably the easiest place to get it is Chiangmai Plastics in Worowat market.

If you take the road nearly opposite the Bangkok bank in Thapae road, you will find it down about 100 Mtrs on your right.

Edited by Maejo Man

The reason that you have not had any replies is probably because not many prople know what Lucite is. If you had said Plexiglass, Perspex or simply Acrylic people would recognise that. Lexan is trademark of GE and is nothing like Acrylic, in fact it's a polycarbonate, and yes, would be far better for your application, but I have not come across it in Chiangmai. Acrylic sheet is readily availabe here, and probably the easiest place to get it is Chiangmai Plastics in Worowat market.

If you take the road nearly opposite the Bangkok bank in Thapae road, you will find it down about 100 Mtrs on your right.

Go with your measurements as they will cut it for you (probably not odd shapes, though) and you should ask at the cash desk nearest the glassware and stationery displays where they keep a swatch of samples of up to 4mm thick if I remember rightly. Reasonable prices if you're used to Europe too.

Thanks for the info. This should get me started with connections if they are unable to provide what I need

For an alternative to replacing the plastic, sanding and compounding using a plastic restoration kit is supposed to work,but I can not say I have done this myself.Tailwinds Captain.

What I have now is lexan but its been too long in sea conditions in Asia to consider reworking. Lexan unless you can find UV is not any better than other products and costs alot more. Thanks for the input.

What I have now is lexan but its been too long in sea conditions in Asia to consider reworking. Lexan unless you can find UV is not any better than other products and costs alot more. Thanks for the input.

Lexan would be far more preferable for portholes as it is shatterproof, unlike Acrylic that will shatter with a good tap. Why not grab a copy of the Chiangmai Yellow Pages and have a look in the plastics section. I don't have a copy here at the moment.

What you need ideally is "Marguard" which is UV stabulised scratchproof polycarbonate (lexan) I supplied about 1500 sheets of this to the Australian railways for windows. Bricks use to bounce off it :)