Thai Air Baggage Fees

Cyrano

From TIME magazine...

Thai Airways' Excess Baggage Charge Costs More Than Seat

By REED TUCKER

We all know that flying with bags these days can cost you extra, but who knew how expensive it could get? One unlucky traveler got hit with an excess-baggage charge so outrageous, he may as well have bought his luggage its own seats on the flight.

Offending Party: Thai Airways

What's at Stake: Hold onto your wallets, people: an overweight-bag charge of $2,200!

The Complaint: Bob Wolfe and his wife were flying from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport to Panama. At the counter, Wolfe was told that his four bags were each about 2 kg or 3 kg over the 32 kg limit, and that he'd have to pay a penalty.

Wolfe was sent to a Thai Airways office where he says a number of employees discussed how much he should be charged for the bags. They argued with each other. They made phone calls. They looked generally confused, he says. More than an hour later, a verdict was rendered: Wolfe owed 66,000 Thai baht, or approximately $2,200.

Anxious to catch his plane, Wolfe reluctantly coughed up the penalty, vowing to take up the case when he returned home. After exchanging numerous letters and e-mails with representatives of the airline, Wolfe is still unsure why he was charged so much, or how the confused employees arrived at the 66,000 baht figure. He says he has tried in vain to get an explanation or a partial refund on the bag charge.

The Outcome: Just for fun, the Avenger looked up where a person could fly for $2,200 from his home base in New York City - with or without bags. Hey, look! Auckland, New Zealand! Jakarta, Indonesia! Beijing, China - twice!

The Avenger contacted Thai Airways, and a rep provided the same letter that had been sent to Wolfe. It read, in part, "Any bag or piece which exceeds 32 kilos shall be charged at three times the applicable excess-baggage" charge of 5,500 baht. Huh?

There was no explanation of why Wolfe's bags were charged "three times" the regular excess-baggage penalty. Were they three times as heavy? Three times as ugly?

After a few weeks, the airline finally provided its overweight-baggage policy in writing. The explanation was that Wolfe was charged three times the normal fee because his bags were overweight and oversize. The policy, while confusingly written, seems to say that bags over 32 kg with total dimensions of more than 80 in. would get socked with a triple penalty.

Fine, except that Wolfe insists no Thai Airways employee ever measured his bags. So the Avenger had Wolfe do it, then sent photographs to the airline of the bags next to a tape measure. The first two bags each totaled 60 in., while the second two totaled 67 in. each. All four were under the 80-in. limit, and should therefore have not been charged the triple penalty.

The Avenger first contacted Thai Airways in August. It's now November, and the airline is still asking for more time to sort this out. Meanwhile, Wolfe remains confused as to exactly what he should have been charged.

If there's a lesson here, it's this: If an airline is going to hit you with an overweight-bag fee, ask to see its policy in writing and make sure airline representatives measure and weigh your bags in front of you. Oh, and if you're traveling to Thailand, pack light.

This is insane. I am sure this guy could have removed some luggage from each of his bags an discarded it. I often carry cheap things with me when I travel like towels, lots of cheap t-shirts, etc. These could be thrown away at the airport bringing the luggage weight down to the acceptable level.

One trick I used whilst in China a few years back when my luggage was four or five KG overweight - I threw away my cheap suitcase and replaced it with a large nylon hold all, total cost about £20 compared to the £500 they wanted to mail stuff back, I didn't even check the overweight baggage prices as they are always a complete rip off. Some of these suitcases weigh quite a lot.

IF this is true, this is really funny. Chalk another one up for Thai Airlines. Of course, we all living here in Thailand know about the Thai employee's "confusion" in the work place. No one is ever around that wants to make a decision.

I and many others on this forum have dumped Thai Airlines, and for good reason. I have a need to go to Bangkok from CMai and just for the heck of it decided to check Thai prices for the r/t ticket. Over 6,000 baht - forget it. I'm taking one two go for r/t price of 3400 baht.

There must be more to this than just a few kgs overweight. I checked my sister and her husband in with Thai and their limit was 40kgs between them, their actual weight was 52kgs and nothing was said. This was a flight to LHR.

Most airlines will refuse bags over 35kgs as being too heavy for a man to lift. I had this problem in Australia a few years ago and had to redistribute weight between cases.

Not to detract from the outrageousness of this story, but since when was 66,000 baht worth $2,200? That's 30 baht to the dollar.

I know the dollar is going down the toilet but I didn't think it was quite that bad yet :)

EACH of his 4 bags were 2 to 3 kg over 32kg. So each bag is say 35kg, multiplied by 4 bags equals 140kg. Between passenger and wife, total baggage allowance on economy is 40kg, so in effect they are 100kg over the allowance.

On top of that, each of his baggage is over the 32kg limit per item. Many airlines enforce this because their baggage handlers' unions may not be happy otherwise).

There appears to be confusion about what "limit" means...airlines caluclate excess over 20kg but passenger think anything over 32kg only.

OK, passenger deserved explanation but perhaps journalist need to do more homework?

Usually if you make a show of taking a few items out of your excess luggage, most check in clerks are quite accomodating. Or at least just charge a token amount. In this case, it appears they got charged full amount for every kg over 20kg.

Am i missing something from the story?

I agree, eh could have just removed a couple of kgs of stuff and hand carried it.

I had a daft situation checking in at Air Asia in Ha Noi with only 1 bag that was 1kg overweight and they insisted I take out 1kg and put it in my hand luggage.

But on other occassions I have easily travelled with +2kgs over and had no hassle (or charge).

^^ Agree with Doggie, Thai are normally very accomodating. I must have flown back and forth to the UK a dozen times, every time I am around the 30 kg mark and never had a problem. This guy was taking the p1ss and got whacked for it.

Try some Inter-European airlines, they will charge you if you are 1 or 2 kgs over the limit, it is seen as a legit source of revenue to them.

These days you really have to be a savvy traveler as the rules change often. It seems like the person in the story should have been charged $119 (USD) x 4 for a total of $476 (USD). However TG does have a note in their policy; "Special baggage rate shall be applied for unusual size and weight. Please contact the local THAI office." so if your bags exceed both weight and overall dimensions maybe it is advisable to contact the carrier to determine the exact details regarding your situation. In some cases it may be cheaper to ship heavier items to your destination. Having status and/or flying in a higher class of service (say via a day-of-departure upgrade purchase which TG offer) may also mitigate excess baggage fees. Even with the 3x 'kicker' the total charges should have been $1,428 (USD).

TG’s Checked Baggage Policy

Destination Class Maximum weight / baggage Maximum checked bags Maximum dimension

in total per bag

To/from Canada

and USA First 32 kg (70 Lbs) 2 158 cm (62 In)

" Business 32 kg (70 Lbs) 2 158 cm (62 In)

" Economy 23 kg (50 Lbs) 2 158 cm (62 In)

" Infant 23 kg (50 Lbs) 1 115 cm (45 In)

• Royal Orchid Plus (ROP) Gold Card members will enjoy the privilege of one extra baggage on top of the regular allowance in any class of travel.

• The charge for extra baggage exceeding the above allowance will be charged US$119 per piece, effective 1 January 2009. However, a charge of US$25 will be implemented for excess from 23-32 kg. will be applied during the interim period, 1 December – 31 December 2008.

• Special baggage rate shall be applied for unusual size and weight. Please contact the local THAI office.

Royal First Class and Royal Silk Class passengers receive a free baggage allowance of two pieces. The weight of each piece shall not exceed 32 kgs (70 lbs) and linear measurement (length+width+height) shall not exceed 158 cms (62 inches).

Passengers traveling on economy class are given a free baggage allowance of two pieces. The weight of each item shall not exceed 23 kgs (50 lbs) and linear measurement of each piece shall not exceed 158 linear cms (62 inches).

Checked Baggage Policy by weight concept

Categories Maximum Combined Weight of All Pieces

Royal First Class 40 kg (88 pounds)

Royal Silk Class 30 kg (66 pounds)

Premium Economy Class 20 kg (44 pounds)

Economy Class 20 kg (44 pounds)

Infant not occupying a seat 10 kg (22 pounds)

ROP & Star Alliance Gold Members Extra 20 kg (44 pounds)

ROP Silver Member

(On TG sectors only) Extra 10 kg (22 pounds)

Note

1. When a passenger is involuntarily rerouted to a lower class of service, the higher class baggage allowance shall be applied even though the refund for the fare difference is made.

2. The exemption from extra baggage shall be applied to any passengers who traveling on the conditions agreed by THAI and Government sector.

The exemption shall be applied according to the condition on the passenger’s ticket only. By government order or agreement, certain passenger categories may have a free baggage allowance deviating from the regular system. Such amended free baggage allowance is stated in the passenger’s ticket.

3. The condition on note 2 is applicable to passengers traveling from Thailand only. For other areas/countries, follow the rules applied by the national carriers concerned.

4. - In case of travel on combined services for through journeys where the passenger travels partly on F-class and partly on C-, U-, or Y-class, the free baggage allowance applicable on each sector of the trip shall be that applicable to the class of service for which the fare is paid.

- In case the passenger who has paid F-class fare travels on C-, U- or Y-class, the free baggage allowance shall be that applicable to F-class.

5. Foldable stroller can be loaded in compartment without additional charge.

Carry on Items

In addition to the checked baggage allowance, each passenger is allowed to hand carry one baggage at maximum length 56 cm (22 inches), width 45 cm (18 inches), thickness 25 cm (10 inches). These dimensions include wheels, handles, and side pockets.

Total weight of the carry on baggage must not exceed 7 kg (15 lb).

Passengers are required to place the baggage in the overhead compartment or under their own seat.

Passengers can bring the following items free of charge :

• Handbag/wallet/purse with the maximum length 37.5 cm (15 inches), width 25 cm (10 inches), depth 12.5 cm (5 inches), or the total of three dimensions do not exceed 75 cm (30 inches) with the total weight not exceeding 1.5 kg. (3.3 lb). Notebooks.or portable personal computers are also applied with this condition.

• Walking stick (crutches) used by elderly passengers, sick passengers, and handicapped passengers

• Camera or small binoculars

• Infant food

Note

Spot check may be performed against the test unit and/or weighing machine at the check-in counter and/or at the boarding gate to ensure compliance to these regulations.

Now it seems an oddity to me that when I touch down in BKK, the groups of Chinese have 3 or 4 of these large poly bags /boxes filled to the brim, and wheel away 3 cart loads..... how is it that if I'm a kg over I will get stung and they can bring in a Vigo worth... still amazes me

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

The trick is to travel with a slightly oversized jacket that has many pockets and an even more loose-fitting coat that has even bigger pockets.

When it comes to the crunch then, what you do is just stuff all the heavy yet small items into yer pockets and you're good to go.

Alternative: get some plastic bags and somehow manage not to take these with you when you go to the check-in. By the time you get to the screening & boarding area later, you will be ok with those handbags extra.

I paid excess luggage once, so I learnt this the hard way. Never again...

@Oz: are you tall and heavy?

Most Chinese are short and light... perhaps all the kilos they don't carry on their body can be transferred to bag weight. :))

I argued my case that way before... seeing that I am under 65kg of body weight, I should be able to take 15kg more luggage with me than your average 80kg guy... didn't go down too well wiith staff... but this is how I came to wear multiple jackets/coats with big pockets and a few plastic bags stuffed in them to rearrrange after security check :D

It also pisses me off no end that most airlines allow sports gear to be taken free of charge or for a very smalll fee, but not musical gear... which is the reason I often have excess luggage.

@Oz: are you tall and heavy?

Most Chinese are short and light... perhaps all the kilos they don't carry on their body can be transferred to bag weight. :))

I argued my case that way before... seeing that I am under 65kg of body weight, I should be able to take 15kg more luggage with me than your average 80kg guy... didn't go down too well wiith staff... but this is how I came to wear multiple jackets/coats with big pockets and a few plastic bags stuffed in them to rearrrange after security check :D

It also pisses me off no end that most airlines allow sports gear to be taken free of charge or for a very smalll fee, but not musical gear... which is the reason I often have excess luggage.

TSA rules in the US state one guitar can be carried on board as hand luggage, but most employees don't know that, so they say it's good to take a copy of the regs with you. Look up "United Breaks Guitars" on youtube - very funny. Then watch the Taylor Guitar Company response.