Christmas In Chiang Mai

BelfastMike

We hear from the folks at Tuskers that they're booking up quickly and suggest getting your reservations in within a few days. Now they're asking for deposits because of all the no-shows last year. Don't be a lout. It's really inconsiderate to book for a sold-out event and then not show when others have been turned away because you had a reservation.

Geckos Garden bar is doing a Christmas dinner buffet for 200 baht, Turkey, stuffing, and many other goodies. All you can eat.. its open and so if its raining and it could be chilly as your basically outside. Not a place to bring your kids but if you want good food, low cost and nice beer specials.

Please mention that you saw it on Thaivisa as I have been trying to get him to advertise here.

I've only been to the Palaad Tawanron restaurant once, but it was during the day. I get the impression that Thais like this place. It it up on the mountain. It may be a little on the romantic side. Maybe others who have Thai spouses can chime in on this?

Nancy Chandler's info on the restaurant

Top 20 CM Restaurants per 1stopCM

I've only been to the Palaad Tawanron restaurant once, but it was during the day. I get the impression that Thais like this place. It it up on the mountain. It may be a little on the romantic side. Maybe others who have Thai spouses can chime in on this?

Great views after dark - if you can get a seat outside, which isn't always easy. The food is overly expensive for what you get and pretty mediocre. You're just paying for the location. Romantic? Maybe. The last time I ate there, there was a band wandering around playing American country music which wasn't romantic in the least.

Here's the dinner on the 25th from The Duke's. This is not just a turkey dinner. The Prime Rib is 250 day grain fed Australian beef. Some of the features, besides the Prime Rib are Fresh American Oysters, Alaskan King Crab, Scottish Smoked Salmon. King Prawns and German Ham.

Did I mention the ham?

Geckos Garden bar is doing a Christmas dinner buffet for 200 baht, Turkey, stuffing, and many other goodies. All you can eat.. its open and so if its raining and it could be chilly as your basically outside. Not a place to bring your kids but if you want good food, low cost and nice beer specials.

Please mention that you saw it on Thaivisa as I have been trying to get him to advertise here.

Just a note.. This is the 24th or Christmas Eve dinner not Christmas day. Update on the menu.. Turkey, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, Sirloin tips, Yams, gravy, rolls. 6pm-8pm is the buffet

Thanks for the responses.

Booked the flights and Duang Tawan Hotel already.

Tuskers for Xmas Dinner looks good.

Anymore ideas for "romantic" spots to go down on bended knee?

You mentioned being near the night bizarre. Tuskers is a distance from there. As far as The Dukes, for Christmas atmosphere and food, I don't think it can be beat - year in and out it's been consistent for true traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations.

As I posted before the Dukes or Tuskers would be good places to celebrate Christmas.

Chiang Mai is a small place, the op could easily walk to Tuskers from his hotel in 20mins or take a tuk tuk or songtaew that would get him there in just over 10 mins.

the op asked for a romantic spot. Dukes, Tuskers ??

If you're willing to go a bit pricier, you can't beat the dinner for two at the "Rice Barn" at Four Seasons in Mae Rim. It's a bit out of town but they'll come and pick you up in the van and drop you off after. The Rice Barn is set up only for two people, they go all out with flowers on the table and an amazing multi course menu. It sits on a small pond in the middle of rice fields. The grounds there are amazing. Check out their website, the pictures are accurate. Went for my anniversary. The executive chef Ray is a good guy, does Western food or Thai. Highly recommended. Congrats.

Great views after dark - if you can get a seat outside, which isn't always easy. The food is overly expensive for what you get and pretty mediocre. You're just paying for the location. Romantic? Maybe. The last time I ate there, there was a band wandering around playing American country music which wasn't romantic in the least.

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't experienced a traditional Xmas for around 13 years and I am not sentimental about it at all. We'll probably go to one of the normal nice hotel buffets. There's always a selection of Thai, Japanese and Western food. The Grandview only costs 120 baht. The western food usually includes roast spuds and pork/chicken if you need that fix. In the afternoon we'll probably watch a movie at airport plaza. I might get my ears cleaned as well.

Edited by Loaded

Thanks for the responses.

Booked the flights and Duang Tawan Hotel already.

Tuskers for Xmas Dinner looks good.

Anymore ideas for "romantic" spots to go down on bended knee?

You mentioned being near the night bizarre. Tuskers is a distance from there. As far as The Dukes, for Christmas atmosphere and food, I don't think it can be beat - year in and out it's been consistent for true traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations.

As I posted before the Dukes or Tuskers would be good places to celebrate Christmas.

Chiang Mai is a small place, the op could easily walk to Tuskers from his hotel in 20mins or take a tuk tuk or songtaew that would get him there in just over 10 mins.

the op asked for a romantic spot. Dukes, Tuskers ??

No he asked for info about a hotel, Christmas Dinner and a romantic spot to pop the question.

Anyone have any ideas for somewhere to go for all of us young solo backpacker types? Gonna be alone on Christmas for the first time ever so I wouldn't mind being with some people in similar situations!

Same goes for NYE as well I guess. :)

Edited by Rigby

I haven't experienced a traditional Xmas for around 13 years and I am not sentimental about it at all. We'll probably go to one of the normal nice hotel buffets. There's always a selection of Thai, Japanese and Western food. The Grandview only costs 120 baht. The western food usually includes roast spuds and pork/chicken if you need that fix. In the afternoon we'll probably watch a movie at airport plaza. I might get my ears cleaned as well.

Not that the price has changed that much ... but it has jumped up to 142 baht per person. Still one of the better deals in town.

Here's the dinner on the 25th from The Duke's. This is not just a turkey dinner. The Prime Rib is 250 day grain fed Australian beef. Some of the features, besides the Prime Rib are Fresh American Oysters, Alaskan King Crab, Scottish Smoked Salmon. King Prawns and German Ham.

Yikes, for 200 Baht you can eat pork at The Grandview. Don't get me wrong. When it gets to a special day you want to eat a good meal. Sure, times are tough, exchange rates are not good, but everyone should have a very good day and treat themselves.

I don't want to get philosophical or emotional but even if someone does not believe in Jesus Christ, Christmas has become a day that means a lot to westerners and is a special day. My two sons are coming home from the US for Christmas. Like Thanksgiving in the States, Christmas has a special meaning around the Christian world and the good feeling is spread around the globe.

I just got back from Bangkok and the holiday spirit is rising.

It's a time to enjoy with family and friends.

I don't have to say more.

As much as I like The Duke's, their Christmas dinner menu looks overkill! One could put on a couple of kilos from that meal alone! This has been a rough year financially. 1100 Baht per person is too much for me. Maybe another time.

Bake and Bite has one turkey dinner - not the all you can eat one - for 320 and it is usually delicious and filling, but no desert included.

As for the Duke's, I had the prime rib at Thanksgiving and it is the real deal. I can't turn down good beef and oysters and shrimp cocktails and all of that stuff. The other thing is that David is such a good host. he really enjoys holidays.

Just a note to all you cost conscience people that are going to Grandview hotels buffet. They have joined the ranks of many other great establishments and eliminated their beverage area and are now charging for water. Cost isn't much though 10 baht a bottle. Still free coffee and tea...

One of the best Turkey with fixing meals I've had here was at the Bake and bit, the one across the corner from Pan Tip plaza at the south of the night brazzer street.

Someone might correct me, is that location across the street from the good Italian restaurant actually a Bake and Bit?

It is called Bake and Bite and it is across the street from Georgios Italian. The turkey/ Christmas dinner in one of the best in town, but it is also quite inexpensive compared to other places.

The Old Bell on Loi Kroh Rd does excellent food and for sure will have great festive meals at very reasonable prices and a very congenial atmosphere, complete with festive Guinness.................( something lacking in some other places)

I have eaten there many times and this is a personal recommendation.

Philw

For atmosphere - which is what you want at Christmas time - you can't beat the old bell. A decent pint, good company, friendly host

Romantic xmas budget: Ginger Cafe, Mix Bar on Soi 1 Nimmanhaemin, any of the Riverside restaurants - Riverside, Goodview, Xanadu for the views, Palaad Tawanron for views but not traditional food, Mi Casa (a tad more expensive), the garden of Tuskers or UN Irish Pub (a bit of a stretch on the romance department)

Romantic xmas no budget constraints: The Chedi, Dhara Dhevi, The House, and of the posh French ones - Le Coq d'Or, Le Crystal

Backpaker to meet others: Riverside, Goodview, anywhere along Loi Kroh, that one on the corner of Chaiyaphum Road, the pubby places (all been mentioned), then on to Warmup for late night party.

Just a note to all you cost conscience people that are going to Grandview hotels buffet. They have joined the ranks of many other great establishments and eliminated their beverage area and are now charging for water. Cost isn't much though 10 baht a bottle. Still free coffee and tea...

For those wanting free water, just ask for Tea and Coffee but ask them not too put the tea and coffee in :)

For those wanting free water, just ask for Tea and Coffee but ask them not too put the tea and coffee in :)

Dont even have to do that.. HOT water is free at the beverage bar so if your ok with a piping hot glass of water with lunch then its free... but cold water will cost you 10 baht.

I heard today from a regular at the Grandview Buffet that since the introduction of the 10 baht charge for water the F&B manager has been inundated with complaints fom the Farangs. Some things never change. :)  

I'm sure he finds it funny, but what do you think? - is it sad, stupid or just plain pathetic?

Edited by KevinHunt

I heard today from a regular at the Grandview Buffet that since the introduction of the 10 baht charge for water the F&B manager has been inundated with complaints fom the Farangs. Some things never change. :D  

I'm sure he finds it funny, but what do you think? - is it sad, stupid or just plain pathetic?

Good idea Kevin lets have another free water topic for 2010 :)