Which Scooters Are Manual?

pigh123

After riding scooters around Thailand in the last few months I've become addicted to riding :) and want to learn how to ride a bigger bike so I can go for my license when I get home. I was wondering what scooters have a hand clutch so I can get use to using it before jumping on a 250cc? I'm in Chiang Mai if anyone has any shops to recommend.

Probably the two most common small scooter type bikes with clutches would be the Honda Sonic 125 (has clutch and 5 speed gearbox) or the Suzuki Raider 150 (with clutch and 6 speed gearbx).

Both those bikes are underbones, scooter style bikes and very easy to ride.

If you want to go something that looks slightly larger, you could try a CBR150 which looks like a bigger road bike but is still only small capacity. It also has clutch and 6 speed box. The CBR looks like the real deal but the Suzuki Raider will outrun it :) .

There are clutch'ed versions of Yamaha's 135cc scooters, the Spark 135 and X1R.

Compared to my Nouvo Elegance these things are rockets since there's no belt losing power.

Both are only 4 speeds and they differ in their shift patterns.

I can't remember which was which, but one was all down to upshift while the other was down/up, up, up like a full size bike.

They both had lights to tell you which gear you were in, very nice, wish big bikes did that.

X1R has a rear disc brake too.

Both had little to no storage which is why I got the Nouvo.

I've never ridden the CBR or Raider, but I bet the Raider is funnest since its light and powerful.

I say you go try them all and give us a report on which bike you got and why.

Edited by ttakata

There are clutch'ed versions of Yamaha's 135cc scooters, the Spark 135 and X1R.

Compared to my Nouvo Elegance these things are rockets since there's no belt losing power.

Both are only 4 speeds and they differ in their shift patterns.

I can't remember which was which, but one was all down to upshift while the other was down/up, up, up like a full size bike.

They both had lights to tell you which gear you were in, very nice, wish big bikes did that.

X1R has a rear disc brake too.

Both had little to no storage which is why I got the Nouvo.

I've never ridden the CBR or Raider, but I bet the Raider is funnest since its light and powerful.

I say you go try them all and give us a report on which bike you got and why.

The Honda Sonic has little lights up the side of the dash to tell you which gear you are in. The raider has a little green light to tell you when you are in top gear.

I reakon the CBR150 is the best looking bike out of the 125/150 class & many of the CBR150 owners think they are riding the king pin of the little bikes.......& then the RAIDER goes stomping past :) .

I have a little Raider, actually Ive had it for 3 years from new and can't really fault it, keeping in mind its no Ducati Desmosedici. Alot of the big bike riders (Bigbikebkk) give me stick about it, but in the Bangers traffic its just like threading cotton thru the eye of a needle.....having said that, its still a tiny bike with only about 18hp (unless you mod it like mine :D ). Great learners bike.

Currently all underbone motorcycles, with the exception of a Yamama X1 R model, are of the menu for 2010. The Suzuki Raider R 150 will be one available a bit longer, as it will be imported from Malaysia in 2010 (while it is still Thai build, but this will only be a few months, one year at most).

The Honda CBR 150R is a model which is not on the Honda model roadmap for 2010...

Currently all underbone motorcycles, with the exception of a Yamama X1 R model, are of the menu for 2010. The Suzuki Raider R 150 will be one available a bit longer, as it will be imported from Malaysia in 2010 (while it is still Thai build, but this will only be a few months, one year at most).

The Honda CBR 150R is a model which is not on the Honda model roadmap for 2010...

Check your info source Richard, I'm of the belief that the Raider is NO LONGER made in Thailand.

Sorry Neverdie,

A bit problems understanding your comment, but I believe you think I said that the Suzuki Raider will be not be Thai build, I never said this, even the Suzuki Raider R 150 will not pass 2010 Thai emission law for NEW registrations, and not be available from most Thai dealers. It can pass the registration law by using a very old law ever signed between the Thai government and the Malaysian government. Even if the Suzuki Raider R 150 is build in Thailand and exported to Malaysia, which is fully legal, even Honda is going to do that with the CBR150R, it can be re-imported and found road legal in Thailand because of a agreement signed by both countries.

For more information about this loophole, you probably best contact Baan-Suzuki Ltd. they found it, and how fast it will be fixed.... who knows... can be years with this government...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Ahem;

forgetting the Wave-X are we?

That's a real scooter with clutch.

Not going to get drawn into a Raider/CBR pissing contest, but I propose that those two and the Sonic are in a slightly higher class than the Dreams/Nouvos/etc.....and most likely what he should be looking at.

Oh, and I've not seen a Raider outrun a CBR--perhaps because I have yet to see one OTR which is in stark contrast to all the CBRs I've been seeing(sorry couldn't resist).

Sorry Neverdie,

A bit problems understanding your comment, but I believe you think I said that the Suzuki Raider will be not be Thai build, I never said this, even the Suzuki Raider R 150 will not pass 2010 Thai emission law for NEW registrations, and not be available from most Thai dealers. It can pass the registration law by using a very old law ever signed between the Thai government and the Malaysian government. Even if the Suzuki Raider R 150 is build in Thailand and exported to Malaysia, which is fully legal, even Honda is going to do that with the CBR150R, it can be re-imported and found road legal in Thailand because of a agreement signed by both countries.

For more information about this loophole, you probably best contact Baan-Suzuki Ltd. they found it, and how fast it will be fixed.... who knows... can be years with this government...

Nope, I think we are both confused now. Richard, I was of the belief that they had stopped making the Raider 150 in Thailand, completely.

Ahem;

forgetting the Wave-X are we?

That's a real scooter with clutch.

Not going to get drawn into a Raider/CBR pissing contest, but I propose that those two and the Sonic are in a slightly higher class than the Dreams/Nouvos/etc.....and most likely what he should be looking at.

Oh, and I've not seen a Raider outrun a CBR--perhaps because I have yet to see one OTR which is in stark contrast to all the CBRs I've been seeing(sorry couldn't resist).

Hi Dave,

Has the Wave X got a clutch?

Of course you are right about the Raider/CBR pissing contest, but like all these things and often with big bikes, sometimes the difference only comes down to fractions.....as you well know.

This is actually the second time I replied to this but the first post was lost :D .

If you can be bothered to look at the gearing commander website and go to their data base and do a standard cbr150 and then a standard Raider 150, you will see the figures right there in front of you. Also I think the Raider gets away with the taller gearing because its got a little extra HP and is lighter.

www.gearingcommander.com

Of course, in stock trim neither bike is probably capable of reaching max rpm in top gear, however it wasnt that difficult to get my raider breathing a little better and I have in fact obtained over 150km/h of gps. Not bad out of a little 150 underbones machine.

anyway davo, i think we've been down this road before, so I will leave it at that, I don't want you telling me to shutup again :D:)

Which scooters have manual shift?

Vespa or a Lambretta, of course. :)

YEs, but they've got the gears on the handgrip, which is pretty weird.

Regarding the point about some bikes being down for 1st and up for the others, while others are down for all gears, I think all those with a clutch have regular bike gearing. As for the CBRs and Raider 150s and which is the fastest, it's the Nova Dash 125...sorry couldn't resist.

Which scooters have manual shift?

Vespa or a Lambretta, of course. :)

YEs, but they've got the gears on the handgrip, which is pretty weird.

Regarding the point about some bikes being down for 1st and up for the others, while others are down for all gears, I think all those with a clutch have regular bike gearing. As for the CBRs and Raider 150s and which is the fastest, it's the Nova Dash 125...sorry couldn't resist.

Actually some of the very first motorcycles in history had a hand shifted gearbox, which was done by a lever on the side of the bike.

The Nova Dash is a very fast bike but I like the Suzuki mate or smash better :D

What does that actually mean tho ??

I fail to believe the CBR is about to disappear from showroom in >30 days with no replacement.

Scooters have the engine unsuspended at the rear wheel. Such things as Vespa or Lambretta etc. REAL motorbikes have the engine mounted within the frame, and include the typical step-thru bikes which are popular in Thailand. These are not scooters, and that is a derogatory term.

When you speak to the gentleman or lady at the shop, in English language, mention the words "manu clut" which will hopefully translate well enough into automotive Thai to find yourself a reliable Honda Wave or equivalent. NEVER call the vehicle that could decide your own life or death a 'scooter'. It would not be kgreng jai nor would you have much good luck riding it. All is not what it appears to be. Don't let your eyes decieve you, and remember those two simple words that seem to be acceptible in pasa Thai, 'manu clut'.

Edited by SeanMoran

Hi Dave,

Of course you are right about the Raider/CBR pissing contest, but like all these things and often with big bikes, sometimes the difference only comes down to fractions.....as you well know.

This is actually the second time I replied to this but the first post was lost :D .

If you can be bothered to look at the gearing commander website and go to their data base and do a standard cbr150 and then a standard Raider 150, you will see the figures right there in front of you. Also I think the Raider gets away with the taller gearing because its got a little extra HP and is lighter.

www.gearingcommander.com

Of course, in stock trim neither bike is probably capable of reaching max rpm in top gear, however it wasnt that difficult to get my raider breathing a little better and I have in fact obtained over 150km/h of gps. Not bad out of a little 150 underbones machine.

anyway davo, i think we've been down this road before, so I will leave it at that, I don't want you telling me to shutup again :D:)

Yep, the Wave-X has a honest to goodness clutch on it. If I were going to buy an underbone that bike would get the nod just for that.

Unfortunately I can not visit that website (thank you coporate blocker)....

Thanks for all the fast replies everyone.

I want to rent one before I buy anything. Anyone know of any places that rent a cbr150 or Honda Sonic in Chiang Mai?

I've asked around but seems to be either Honda waves this or Big bike that....

Hi Dave,

www.gearingcommander.com

Yep, the Wave-X has a honest to goodness clutch on it. If I were going to buy an underbone that bike would get the nod just for that.

Unfortunately I can not visit that website (thank you coporate blocker)....

I have a 2008 wave X no clutch on mine