Pattaya Klang

Jonathanpattaya

I decided to take a late afternoon stroll yesterday from my home near Carrefour to Pattaya New Plaza, where (this is not a plug) my wife has a clothes shop.

What a bad idea that turned out to be.

Apart from having to cross Pattaya Klang and Third Road (a mini adventure in itself) to get there, I had to nogotiate all the uneven and loose paving blocks.

I was just approaching Soi Buakao when I had to move rather quickly out of the way of an oncoming motobike taxi (yes, he was driving on the pavement) when I stood on a paving block which gave way. I literally went A over T and badly twisted my ankle.

It makes me wonder how elderly people manage or do they just walk on the busy road because that is the safer option?

Yep, I enjoy walking but in Pattaya it's more like an assault course and if you think Klang is bad just try the sidewalks in soi's 13/1, 2, 3 & 4. The road is the only place to walk and you don't encounter much more motorcycle traffic.

If it's any consolation HCMC is as bad in District 1 and far worse the further you venture out. In Asia you are most definitely bottom of the food chain as a pedestrian.

I agree. I also live very close to Pattaya Klang and 3rd Road.

I had to walk the exact same way a couple of Years back when we had the very heavy rain. All Pattaya Klang was flooded over 2 Feet Deep.

When I got to Soi Bouakow, my foot went into a deep hole as I could not see because of the water. The only thing I saw was a live Fish swimming past - honest. ha ha ha.

I do agree, some of the pavements are terrible for pedestrians, but there again 'This is Thailand'

Only ba farangs do any walking in the heat/rain/humidity (take your pick) in Pattaya/Thailand. No Thai would even think of stooping to such lows to get around. Therefore, the complete lack of care about the state of the footpaths in the Kingdom.

Certainly no lack of care just up the coast at Bangsaen, the paths are pristine, totally opposite to Pattaya :)

Yea it's a minefield out there

The same happened to me the other day walking back from Big C on Pattaya Tai, had to keep moving out of the way of the motorcycles that had to get a 10 second advantage by coming upon the sidewalk instead of staying on the road. When I got to TUKCOM all the cops were there doing motorcycle "inspections", my TG wouldn't let me ask them why they weren't up a block doing some real traffic enforcement

And the sidewalk in front of Carrefour is a real mess, look at it carefully and you will see that is it one great big "wash board"

Certainly no lack of care just up the coast at Bangsaen, the paths are pristine, totally opposite to Pattaya :D

Same for Si Racha wobblyjohn

I dare say the footpaths of Pattaya get a fair bit more traffic (and heavier traffic...we got allot of XXXL farangs trundling on our sidewalks here) than those in Sri Racha and most certainly those of Bangsaen :)