Triumph Street Triple R

soihok

Hello.

I,m soon to be getting a bike again, not in Thailand though.

I was hoping to get hold of a used KTM SuperDuke, but it does,nt tie in with my time plan.

So I am being offered a Triumph Street Triple R, only 4 months old , as well as a Ducati 696 Monster 2007, but I think I,ll be disappointed with the low power it has to give ( about 73 bhp).

Anyone any first hand comments on the bike?.....road tests from various bike mags on the net are good.

Cheers.

I have seen a SuperDuke in Pattaya.

A new one is 28000 Singapore Dollars ( in Singapore), so I was on the look out for a used bike , as rare as rocking horse <deleted>.

I,m looking forward to thrashing a Street Nipple around Singapore,,,,,cheers.

Edited by soihok

I have no riding experience on either but I did shop these a year ago.

One concern, how tall are you?

I'm 5'8" and the Speed Triples' seat was so high I had to tiptoe around making it unsafe, same with the Super Duke.

The Monster has a low seat but an uncomfortable riding posture for me.

I also wasn't hooked on the new Monster's looks.

I ended up getting a slightly used MV Agusta Brutale 750S in the end, the best looking naked bike ever IMO.

Sadly I had to sell it since I moved here.

I've only heard good things about the Triumphs even the 1st gen Speed Trips.

The new Monsters do strike me as a "Look at me, I'm rich" poser bike as mentioned earlier.

I'm a big fan of the 1st gen Monsters but they need to be serviced twice as much.

My friend spent ~$2000USD getting a valve job and tires on his Monster 600.

I you don't like to be embarrassed note that any Japanese 600 will spank you silly if you try to take it on with a Monster.

A Speed Triple will always be faster than you need on the street.

Of course if speed isn't as much a priority to you, have you considered the Ducati Sport Classics?

Those are some fine looking bikes although less sporting than the others.

If you're over 5'8" you'll probably be OK with any bike, but if you're shorter than me you better go sit on all these bikes first before you buy a bike you're gonna drop in the garage.

If you want a fast sporty naked, definitely check the Triumph.

If you want a nice looking but more mellow bike, maybe a Sport Classic?

If you want something fast and beautiful, I recommend a used Brutale 910 (for me the 750 felt plenty fast).

The Brutale has the same chassis as the F4 so it's the most capable chassis of them all.

Problem is MV Agustas are rarer than all the others; you may have a hard time finding one.

Each of these brands have forums, do some research and see what others did when they shopped around.

Just some opinions, have fun shopping.

Darn, talking about this makes me miss my Brutale; I have a Nouvo Elegance here (que tears and wimpering now).

Edited by ttakata

Cheers mate.

I can understand why you miss the MV.

Heart breaker.

Thanks for your post, I think I am now sold to the Street Nipple , the fact that it is a Nipple R makes it more expensive but all sounds good fun.

Power wise, last bike was a full power V Max so a 73 bhp Ducati will be like getting off an untamed mare and having a ride on a donkey.

I am 6 feet tall.

Edited by soihok

The the that would scare the daylights out of me with an MV would be fear of service.. Or if something went wrong.

There was one down this way (Phuket) that looked stunning, when I asked around I was told by 2 mechanics that it was running rough and no one had a clue how to solve it, it had been shipped all over, the electronics were a total mystery, etc etc.. It just the way it is with an exotic.

I remember seeing a row of 3 or so superdukes up in CM one time.. Nice kind of stance to them, very appealing. Worst case there at least you could get it to Malaysia where KTMs are sold for sorting.

I only know the Monster from experience. Bad in heavy traffic. Glorious on

country roads (I liked to go from Manchester to Yorkshire).

Very low fuel consumption / great mid-range characteristic / soreness of the buttocks after 300 miles.

Tough clutch (needed strength - but I had a dry clutch on a 900 sports bike which was better).

Every miles will be an emotional experience. Forget hp, forget top speed. forget dry weight.

Listen to your senses.

Monsters start at 2,000 euros on www.mobile.de

A 3rd bike I would consider is a Buell. More power than most Monsters.

Less service costs (a servie without changing belts takes 5.5 hours and costs over 500 Euros in Germany :):D )

Ride on!

Chris

I had the Street Triple for a week.

First day was not really impressed. As it was small & light.

But super great in traffic, such a doddle.

By the end of the week, when I got the bike into the twisties. I was smitten big time!

She handles really good in the curves, throttle response is fantastic!

Cornering speed is phenomenal!! Corners way faster than my old ZX10R!!

Straight line speed is ok. Adequate I suppose. Not for touring that for sure. Too naked, too slow, too much wind blast above 120kmh.

Well, only been in Singapore a day and bought a 4 month old Triumph Street Triple R.

Complete with Zard exhausts.......(and top box?), it will be coming off.

Good bike for the roads of Singapore.

I,ll post some pictures at some point.

Great bike.....

Happy riding!!!!

Britbike just got some new Street Triple R in stock!

Awesome bikes!

So when do you pick up your new Street Triple R??? :D Since you're one-handed at the moment I'll be happy to break it in for you :D That's just the kind of caring generous guy I am :D:D:)

Psyched for tomorrow's ride- sure you aren't going to come???

RIDE ON!

Tony