Electric Cooker/oven

phutoie2

Anyone please give some info on shops to buy a stand alone electric cooker with hob/rings.

Have looked on classifieds and Baht & sold, but not much on offer.

Currently 200 km's north of Patters - Kabin Buri, so can easily drive down to buy.

Num Chai electrical store on the Sukhumvit road in Pattaya might have what your looking for.

I've posted the web link which contains their telephone number so you can contact them for info.

http://www.numchai.com

Stand alone cookers are not that readily available and i've only seen a couple in my time here but they are available.

Finding them is the problem.

I'll keep my eyes peeled whilst i'm out and about.

Edited by nam-thip

I agree with one of the previous posters that Numchai is worth a look.

Whilst you are in Pattaya you might also try Homeworks on Sukhumvit Road. They have a vast range of built-in/slot-in ovens but I have also seen some nice free-standing cookers there (some in the link below, but I'm sure I've seen others).

Homeworks

Of the two, I think Numchai have by far the better after sales/repair service.

Don't know about a full standalone electric cooker but upstairs in the Friendship supermarket you can buy separate electric hobs and ovens.

Do you know if they sell an individual electric ring?

I've certainly seen two ring units there and I think there were single rings also.

My kitchen has a built in 4 ring electric hob but the missus, being an Isaan Phu Ying, has it covered over with a sheet of cardboard and a single gas hob set on top. Anyone else ever observed this behaviour ?

Don't know about a full standalone electric cooker but upstairs in the Friendship supermarket you can buy separate electric hobs and ovens.

Do you know if they sell an individual electric ring?

I've certainly seen two ring units there and I think there were single rings also.

My kitchen has a built in 4 ring electric hob but the missus, being an Isaan Phu Ying, has it covered over with a sheet of cardboard and a single gas hob set on top. Anyone else ever observed this behaviour ?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, that action by your wife does not surprise me.

Old habits die hard. I still find footprints on the toilet seat when I return home.

I know your asking about electric cookers but here is an alternative if you fail in your search.

Monday 30th November.

I called into Pattaya gas on Thepprasit road this morning to pick up a gas bottle and they had three free standing gas cookers on display. Two were Mirage brand cookers, one had three burners and one had four, the four burner had an over, grill and timer switch whilst the three burner only appeared to have an oven/thermostat control. Both were shrink wrapped so I couldn’t open up the lids or oven doors.

The four burner Mirage was priced at 15500 baht

The three burner Mirage was priced at 13500 baht

The unnamed oven was priced at 9500 baht

One thing to be aware of with some of these el-cheapo cookers is heat loss from the oven back plate as they are not that well sealed.

If you do fit one then I strongly recommend you do so in copper pipe and not Thai style in flexi rubber hose. The heat generated and lost to the rear of these cheap cookers is immense and if using rubber hose it won’t be long before you’re dealing with a fire.

Pattaya gas can be found on the left coming from the lights at the Jomtien end about 300 hundred meters up from the traffic lights.

Thanks for the info Nam -Tip and others, will be in Pattaya in 1 week so will have a good look around.

In Makro - Sa Kaew they have a good selection of those mini ovens, some quite big and presume they can do most things that a conventional oven can.

I have been after a cooker/oven for some time, my wife's brother breeds turkeys amongst other birds and I fancy one for the forthcoming festivities. Yum yum.

Sorry to be a bit off topic here, but I believe gas is the way to go.

Cheaper, much, much better for cooking.

The reason most Thais use gas to cook is that you must pay a huge premium to cook with electricity, and it is much harder to cook well.