Ais Onetocall

gharknes

i googled it for you. because i'm a pal. i got it opened straight up in english, yo. poke around for a bit:

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/index_e.html

lol I looked on the website and could only find gprs packages do they not have 3G or similar and if not who provides paygo 3G or UMTS internet connection, surely someone does it in pattaya, alternatively how widspread is free wifi in patters

lol I looked on the website and could only find gprs packages do they not have 3G or similar and if not who provides paygo 3G or UMTS internet connection, surely someone does it in pattaya, alternatively how widspread is free wifi in patters

No such thing as 3G (UMTS/HSDPA) in Pattaya.

The only thing we have is Hutch, which offers CDMA EV-DO in Pattaya (between 0,5 and 1,5 Mbps). Few drawbacks though:

* It only gives the high speed in Pattaya, the rest of Hutch's coverage only gives CDMA 1X which is a tad slower then GPRS/EDGE.

* Hutch only covers the Eastern Seaboard and greater Bangkok. Anywhere else in Thailand and you have no internet at all!

Not cheap either as you have to buy one of their ridiculous priced modems and then pay around 1000 Baht/month for unlimited internet.

Wifi is rather widespread in Pattaya, but offered by umpteen different providers, so you'd need umpteen subscriptions to be mobile. On top of the fact that wifi is not secure (banking etc), and sometimes very slow depending on what the other users are doing...

3G Pattaya ????????????????? That immediately makes you out as a visitor. I use my 1 to call sim and pay 1 baht/min for a connection.

1 Baht per minute for a connection ? That immidiately makes you out as a visitor. I use my 12call SIM and get a 30 hours package for 119 Baht, where as you only get 2 hours for your 119 Baht :)

3G Pattaya ????????????????? That immediately makes you out as a visitor. I use my 1 to call sim and pay 1 baht/min for a connection.

1 Baht per minute for a connection ? That immidiately makes you out as a visitor. I use my 12call SIM and get a 30 hours package for 119 Baht, where as you only get 2 hours for your 119 Baht :)

Correct, I use the 6-hour package (for back up/travel purposes) for only THB 53.50/month. It's acceptable and the speed is ok.

"Not cheap either as you have to buy one of their ridiculous priced modems"

Not sure what you consider expensive, but you can buy A Nokia 3110 Classic Mobile Phone for probably around 3000 Baht or less for a refurb. I use one to connect via AIS during power outages. Has a built in modem, blueTooth, USB, as well as a camera and all the normal bells-and-whistles of a medium quality mobile.

http://www.yourmobilephonereviews.co.uk/no...sic_reviews.htm

"Not cheap either as you have to buy one of their ridiculous priced modems"

Not sure what you consider expensive, but you can buy A Nokia 3110 Classic Mobile Phone for probably around 3000 Baht or less for a refurb. I use one to connect via AIS during power outages. Has a built in modem, blueTooth, USB, as well as a camera and all the normal bells-and-whistles of a medium quality mobile.

http://www.yourmobilephonereviews.co.uk/no...sic_reviews.htm

I was talking about the CDMA technology Hutch offers. Different technology then the one used for GSM/GPRS/Edge, so you need to buy dedicated hardware for it

The technology does deliver internet between 5 and 10 times faster then GPRS/EDGE.

Hutch EV-DO total cost for a 18 month contract incl Huawei EC-226 is Thb 23.760 : 18 = 1.320 per month (vat included).

Pay 4,5K cash and monthly 1070 incl vat for 18 months. Or pay cash 16K and free use 12 months.

Thb 1.320 per month not so expensive.

The speed average between 7 and 12 times faster then GPRS/EDGE (mobile).

Correct, I use the 6-hour package (for back up/travel purposes) for only THB 53.50/month. It's acceptable and the speed is ok.

No not a visitor, I only use my 12call sim in emergencies in which case it costs 1 baht/min as I have no contract or a requirement for more access.

Edited by Rimmer
No need for name calling (Flaming)

The Telewiz shop on the first floor in Tukcom can sell you a internet sim and dongle, (I brought my own dongle from the UK)

internet access can be bought by the hour or about 1000 baht p/m, take your laptop and they will set it all up for you free

And the dongles they sell are actually 3G ready, although at 3,900 Baht (including sim card) not exactly cheap.

my phone will make use of most current hi speed mobile network protocalls, it also has wifi, I don't want to start any sort of subscription, very suprised that AIS don't offer a 3G paygo option, afterall they are prob the biggest mobile operator in Thailand, ah well gprs will have to do for now

^ The TQ still is the only go go bar IMHO.

Its gone down hill.

Thai boxing on the tv. no rock vids. :D

Flashing red lights on the stage. very off putting. :D

About 30 girls in there the other day, not was one sitting with a customer

all to bussy talking to each other. :)

Give the place a miss now . its crap.

The Telewiz shop on the first floor in Tukcom can sell you a internet sim and dongle, (I brought my own dongle from the UK)

internet access can be bought by the hour or about 1000 baht p/m, take your laptop and they will set it all up for you free

And the dongles they sell are actually 3G ready, although at 3,900 Baht (including sim card) not exactly cheap.

The one I bought in the UK was only 29 quid, I believe you can also get a sim card from Telewiz that has 2 numbers (1 for internet & 1 for phone calls) then depending on the make of phone you can connect to the net through that

• 2 weeks later...

hey, still on the subject...

so i have a nokia 3110c, with a prepaid 1-2-Call sim, and my computer.

what do i need to do to get the gprs going???

so i need to talk to someone on the phone?

dial some code?

thanx,

d

I was talking about the CDMA technology Hutch offers. Different technology then the one used for GSM/GPRS/Edge, so you need to buy dedicated hardware for it

The technology does deliver internet between 5 and 10 times faster then GPRS/EDGE.

I think you should be saying. "The technology CAN deliver internet between 5 and 10 times faster than GPRS/EDGE."

I have recently invested in a Hutch CDMA and use it mostly in Bangkok but did a couple of Pattaya connections and it's never been 'all that' IMHO. Like a lot of stuff in Thailand and particularly internet related stuff, you don't always get what's written on the label.

hey, still on the subject...

so i have a nokia 3110c, with a prepaid 1-2-Call sim, and my computer.

what do i need to do to get the gprs going???

so i need to talk to someone on the phone?

dial some code?

thanx,

d

Just noticed you say 'computer' and not specifically a laptop. So step one would be to enable Bluetooth connectivity on your computer/laptop. If the latter, it may already be built-in. If not (and if you are talking desktop or tower computer here) you will need to add a Bluetooth 'dongle' to your system which plugs into a USB port. There's many types available at TukCom just don't buy the cheapest! If you are a computer neophyte/luddite, you should bring the PC/laptop to your chosen store and let them install it.

If you bought the Nokia phone new, there will be a CD that has their branded "Nokia PC Suite" software that you install. Just follow the prompts and let Windows load and configure the drivers and dialups for the Nokia modems (in the handset) and you should be online in a few minutes. You could also let Windows find and configure it all but I found the Nokia setup more (and I mean this respectfully) idiot-proof. The bonus is once that Nokia CD has done the installation, the Windows dialup options are automatically created so once you get more savvy, you can use Windows own network connection management to do the work which may be a tad faster IMHO.

Read the phone manual so that you know what the GPRS connected indicator looks like. That way you can be assured that you are actually connected via GPRS or when it sometimes drops out, leaving you connected but at a much slower data rate. When this happens, terminate the call and start again. If you can't reconnect, turn the phone off and on again; Bluetooth can be glitchy. Also note that a different times of the day (and in different locations), although the handset shows you are GPRS connected, you will experience radically different data throughput.

Also note that on some Nokia phones, having Bluetooth running all the time can eat up battery life; it's like having an extra bit of hardware turned on. It's better (and more secure) to turn off the Bluetooth on the Nokia when you aren't actually doing any GPRS dialups.

Edited by NanLaew

"i have a nokia 3110c, with a prepaid 1-2-Call sim, and my computer. what do i need to do to get the gprs going???"

You need to have the "Nokia PC Suite" software installed on your computer.

Connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable (easiest) or BlueTooth

When the phone displays "USB data cable connected -- Select Mode", Select the "Nokia Mode" option on the Phone.

Go to the small "Nokia PC Suite" Icon in the System-Tray ( lower-right corner of computer screen ) -- Right-Click and select the "Connect to Internet" option.