Bangkok's Riskiest Areas

webfact

RISK AREAS IN BANGKOK

Lat Phrao 101: RISKIEST area

By The Nation

Published on November 30, 2009

Second on the list is Lat Phrao 107, followed by Soi Supapong, Sukhumvit 105 and Soi Phaholyothin 52, police say

The riskiest area in Bangkok is Soi Lat Phrao 101, according to a list compiled by the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

"We have prepared the list based on crime statistics, surroundings and tip-offs from people," Police spokesman Lt-General Pongsapat Pongcha-roen said yesterday.

Soi Lat Phrao 101 and a community there see the highest number of crimes compared with other areas in the capital.

Coming second on the list is Soi Lat Phrao 107.

"These two sois are under the jurisdiction of Lat Phrao Police Station," Pongsapat said.

To boost safety in the areas, Pongsapat said the station's patrolmen in collaboration with Bang Kapi District Office's city police would regularly conduct joint patrols there.

Close watch

"Also, closed-circuit security cameras will be installed at the mouth, in the middle of and at the end of the sois," Pongsapat said.

He added that taxi-motorcycle drivers and scrap workers in the areas would also be trained to watch over the areas and help police prevent crimes.

Ranked third on the list of Bangkok's riskiest areas is Soi Supapong.

Next are Soi Sukhumvit 105 (La Salle), Soi Phaholyothin 52, Sanam Luang, the Victory Monument, Soi Onnut 44, |Soi Chalermphrakiat 14 (connecting Soi Premrutai) and Ram-Intra Market respectively.

Earlier, police identified 5,365 areas in Bangkok as risky spots. "But after we introduced more safety measures in those areas, the number of crimes there have dropped," Pongsa-pat said.

He said police would continue to work hard in a bid to ensure public safety.

"Our crime-prevention measures will soon cover areas outside Bangkok too," Pong-sapat added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....."Earlier, police identified 5,365 areas in Bangkok as risky spots. "But after we introduced more safety measures in those areas, the number of crimes there have dropped," Pongsa-pat said..."

5'365 risky areas!!!! - seems like that's MOST of Bangkok covered then. Maybe it'd be easier next time to identify the less risky areas. Love the idea of training motorcycle taxis (and scrap metal workers) to help police prevent crimes - Police must be under the illusion that these are the salt of the earth, hard working honest characters that would report any crime, rather than tryiong to get a cut of the action themselves.

....."Earlier, police identified 5,365 areas in Bangkok as risky spots. "But after we introduced more safety measures in those areas, the number of crimes there have dropped," Pongsa-pat said..."

5'365 risky areas!!!! - seems like that's MOST of Bangkok covered then. Maybe it'd be easier next time to identify the less risky areas. Love the idea of training motorcycle taxis (and scrap metal workers) to help police prevent crimes - Police must be under the illusion that these are the salt of the earth, hard working honest characters that would report any crime, rather than tryiong to get a cut of the action themselves.

Yes, but hang on a minute.The B.I.B. need all the help they can get, after all they are always stretched thin in battling crime. Many are busy collecting tea money from hapless motorcycle riders and motorists.

While others of a more senior rank perhaps are busy playing golf, having bubbly massages or catering to the needs of their giks annd mia nois. Priorities remember. :)

Yes, but hang on a minute.The B.I.B. need all the help they can get, after all they are always stretched thin in battling crime. Many are busy collecting tea money from hapless motorcycle riders and motorists.

While others of a more senior rank perhaps are busy playing golf, having bubbly massages or catering to the needs of their giks annd mia nois. Priorities remember. :)

dam_n right! If the police spenty as much time and effort on crimes as they do collecting bribes and other illicit dealings, crime would drop significantly!

Wouldn't it be more informative to tell you what types of crime is occurring in these areas?

Crimes need to be identified - muggings seem to be low, bag snatching high by motorcycle drive by is right up top but really - what constitutes 'risk'. Take a walk and don't return? House gets robbed? Are we talking standing on drug addicts needles? Agree, elaborate and give the full story.

dam_n right! If the police spenty as much time and effort on crimes as they do collecting bribes and other illicit dealings, crime would drop significantly!

There is no 'money' in crime prevention - only getting pay-offs from the perpetrators so they keep a watchful eye and allow the act to consummate first - birds of a feather ... hard to pick who are the crims - oh yeah, the brown uniform means they are the good guys ! Yeah - right... :D

The PR person for the police dept. must be using some form of template regardless of whether or not there is any relevant information to fill in the blanks. Is this article even remotely significant in anyway other than reinforcing to the populous the ineptness of this taxpayer funded money trash receptacle? PR In A Box - how ironic and fitting would that product/title be? :)

Bangkok's still about 1,000,000 times safer than most big cities in the western world.

Oh really. Please quote your source :) or is that just your own possibly naive perception of BKK?

Edited by namoo

most likely, the motercycle drivers will drive the thief off to his next location or home

thank you, please come again

anyone interested to put all the hotspots on a google map ? you would have one big blur on the map, starting with touts at the airport...

happy 2012

none defined "riskiest". what type of crime will make area "risky" ? 

Gangsters, illegal booze trading, hookers, horny-$$$-hungry trannies, massive gathering of drunks like Ratchada4? 

Or poisonous food, gas tanks operated openly, Zero attention to any driving rules, teens on bikes at racing speed? 

Either Bangkok is the safest place on earth (maipenrai) or ...

Wow I live on Lat Phrao 101 and have been for over 2 years....I have never had anything stolen or ran into any trouble there....Maybe because I'm old and sleep early..

Dan :)

Dan, yes you would know. Or maybe they see you coming and decide they better wait until you leave. You scare them... :D

Ken.

Gangsters, illegal booze trading, hookers, horny-$$$-hungry trannies, massive gathering of drunks like Ratchada4?

Or poisonous food, gas tanks operated openly, Zero attention to any driving rules, teens on bikes at racing speed?

Agreed and don't forget the cheap hitmen for shooting of business owners this week for example.

Gangsters, illegal booze trading, hookers, horny-$$-hungry trannies, massive gathering of drunks like Ratchada4?

gambling, as in poker! :) ?

I live in La Salle (Lasarn, Suk 105), have done for two years, the Bangkok Pattana International school is in the same Soi, I am sure all the embassy personnel will be pleased to hear that their children go to supposedly the best school in Bangkok in the third riskiest Soi in Bangkok!! Seriously, I walk alone, at night in this area, often and have never felt threatened or at risk. I love the Soi, to me it encapsulates the rich variety that is Bangkok. About the only thing it doesn't have is the girly bars.

Edited by midasthailand

The PR person for the police dept. must be using some form of template regardless of whether or not there is any relevant information to fill in the blanks. Is this article even remotely significant in anyway other than reinforcing to the populous the ineptness of this taxpayer funded money trash receptacle? PR In A Box - how ironic and fitting would that product/title be? :)

That template is already for sale here in Thai Visa Classified. Also available there is a team of SEO writers who will fill in that template for less then 100 baht per.

I lived on Lad Prao 101 for over a year. I never had any problems, I left my motorcycle parked outside and never had it stolen or vandalized, I was working evenings and frequently walked home at 9pm. I never felt in any danger or heard of anyone else having any problems. :D The only negatives I could mention are a lack or footbridges and sometimes I would hear kids racing their motorcycles at 3 or 4am.

If that is a dangerous area I wonder what the safe areas are like? :)

Just a gentle reminder. This topic is about risk areas in BKK. It is not about the police in the US or anywhere else. It most certainly isn't about the swine flu.

Roughly on topic is a good idea.

Thanks

Bangkok's still about 1,000,000 times safer than most big cities in the western world.

Oh really. Please quote your source :D or is that just your own possibly naive perception of BKK?

That's my own naive perception I constructed after living here for a decade, and having lived in enough other big cities to naively believe that I can perceive a difference. :)