2009 Ford Ranger

garyk

Deposited 10K for Ranger 3.0L DC 4x4 AT Wildtrac today, will be delivered in 1 week...

Got discount 20K+ free service plan 5yrs (18k)+free delivery, free 1 yrs insurance.

I will post about its perfomance later, for my location (NE,Yasothon) it was probably the best choice, can load things for fishing and dont brake wheels out of city as normal pasenger car.

+ I dont want to be another Toyota, Isuzu sheep :)

Good choice, you won't be disappointed.

I hope so, but small change is here, desired white - "dont have sir" have "back" or "brue", so I took "brue one", will have it probably on monday or tuesday ...

Hopefully power will be enough, tested only 2.5l...

Anybody tried programming/chip tuning of local pick up here? Im not sure if tuned engine will like high sulfer diesel in Thailand...

Back to Ranger, one of he reason why I chose it was "like car" noise level, compare to Hilux its very quiet and steering is direct...

+ 3.0 4x4 AT should have 4airbags which I feel as big advantage in this "systematicly unsystematic" driving style of local drivers... 110kmph on scooter here is like 300kmph back home on motorcycle...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After few days waiting (and few months research) We bring home new Ranger 3.0 4x4 5sp AUT, Wildtrack, windows 60% dark. This version have 2 front and 2 side airbags, which is miracle in Thailand.

I tested 2.5 with manual which is very good engine and some can say it is 3.0, I decided to take 3.0 (also becuase this is only versio with 4airbags) and as one of my friend said "life is very short, try to always buy the best things" I took wildtrack.

After 40km of driving my car: nice feeling from steering, it is not BMW sharp but very good,

noise level is very, very low, cabin is very quiet even at 120km, (I have MB S class so I know what Im saying)

5sp automatic is chnaging gear fast but it is not double clutch automatic, but still very good, cruising at 2000rpm -5th gear @ 120kmh so it looks like will try to save petrol. There is small o/d (overdrive) button on transmission which can be used for shifting down by 1gear so this kind of "F1 paddle shift" can be used for overatking. 5sp is really big difference, with Hillux it looks like car have only 3 gear (1st is like 2, 2-3 will be away fast, and forget about overtaing at 130, kickdown to 3 is impossible) Ranger different level 3.4.5 are very close so it will go faster with less petrol)

Seat are very comfortable, but cant be moved up.

Suspension, I tried alone so it will be different when 2-4 passengers inside but I was suprised again by comfort of back end which I expected nervous, front end is soft for me, but for rest will be OK...

post-95972-1263213332_thumb.jpg

post-95972-1263213457_thumb.jpg

post-95972-1263213562_thumb.jpg

I personally would not put petrol in it when filling up :D .

In my country, during winter some people put petrol into diesel cars to make diesel freeze at lower temp (but most petrol station)... This is very usefull in Thailand :D .... But my city recored -2C this winter here in NE Thailand (I was not here so still think meaning was temperature was lower by 2 degrees at night)

Ok my mYstake :)

I’ve been driving Ford Rangers as work vehicles for over 6 years now and find them to be good solid reliable workhorses.

The only fault I find is the ease the front doors can be opened past their limit when exiting in windy conditions. The plastic door stay snaps easily and hinges bend away from the frame. Once that happens the front of the door catches the fender causing panel damage.

It’s a problem our Ford dealer says is common and not one experienced by the Toyota hilux’s in the fleet.

I was nailed on to buy a Ford Ranger high rider open cab. Then I saw the lady from the dealer in my village who had been very friendly when I was in the dealership and she blanked me. later when I went back to the dealer (curious about this slight) she said she couldn't respond as people will think she is a bad woman.

Hmmm... Good enough to take my money. But not good enough to been seen to be on nodding terms with in the street. F..k THAT!!

I really like my New (to me) Toyota 4x4 SUV. Especially as I don't have to avoid the dealership staff in public. What a great way to lose a sale.

Confession:

at the back of my mind I decided I would rather have a car I could sell easily too despite everything on paper pointing towards fords being safer, if Thai's won't buy them. I can't sell them. Then I am restricted in my options.

I was nailed on to buy a Ford Ranger high rider open cab. Then I saw the lady from the dealer in my village who had been very friendly when I was in the dealership and she blanked me. later when I went back to the dealer (curious about this slight) she said she couldn't respond as people will think she is a bad woman.

Hmmm... Good enough to take my money. But not good enough to been seen to be on nodding terms with in the street. F..k THAT!!

I really like my New (to me) Toyota 4x4 SUV. Especially as I don't have to avoid the dealership staff in public. What a great way to lose a sale.

Confession:

at the back of my mind I decided I would rather have a car I could sell easily too despite everything on paper pointing towards fords being safer, if Thai's won't buy them. I can't sell them. Then I am restricted in my options.

Her reputation is more important that motivation to sell, she has my respect.

I bough Ford for me, not for idiots after me, I will spend my time inside and enjoy it.

I tried after sale service today, went to dealer asked for some special part, but they dont have, than guy who sold to me went with me to 3-4 shops in the city and asked local people for thinks I wanted...

I bough Ford for me, not for idiots after me, I will spend my time inside and enjoy it.

Thank you, I don't understand why people place sooo much importance on resale value... you buy a car to drive it, to enjoy it, not as any kind of investment....

We have an old non-turbo Ranger (2003 I think) as a work truck, and despite rattling itself to pieces at idle, it's a very reliable truck :)

If I could afford to write off the cost of a modern vehicle I would not give too hoots as to the resale. As I plan on getting some money back when I sell it, I would rather have more than less. I'm astonished that this is hard to comprehend for any forumeer.

Its a balancing act. If I decide to leave in a hurry for whatever reason (job offer, sick family member or anything else that might be a greater priority) I like to know that my losses will be minimal and I will be able to liquidate anything of consequence.

When did financial prudence become incomprehensible?

As an aside I think I mentioned elsewhere that last year I helped a thai friend to buy a ranger and have driven it several times. A very pleasant motor. But I take offense at someone thinking I am good enough to take money from in trade but not good enough to acknowledge in public. I wasn't looking to shake hands or anything, just the same casual nod I get from anyone else I pass in the street who recognises me. If such a think would taint her reputation, I can only conclude her repuation was on f..kin' thin Ice to start with!

Edited by Loz

If I could afford to write off the cost of a modern vehicle I would not give too hoots as to the resale. As I plan on getting some money back when I sell it, I would rather have more than less. I'm astonished that this is hard to comprehend for any forumeer.

Its a balancing act. If I decide to leave in a hurry for whatever reason (job offer, sick family member or anything else that might be a greater priority) I like to know that my losses will be minimal and I will be able to liquidate anything of consequence.

When did financial prudence become incomprehensible?

Well of course, like you said, it's a balancing act, but I don't understand people who would turn down a car that they would really like, that they can easily afford, and get a boring one they will never enjoy, just because of resale value... To each his own, I guess it's what might define a "car guy" :)

I agree with you on that.

I know you've had your Yaris a while and done a few mods to it. (we used to natter on the forum)

I've been there and done that too as you may remember. However now, prudence will ensure that I don't have to work in a gas station when I hit pensionable age. Rather I will still be able to enjoy myself.

Ps. I certainly would never by a boring car just because it was the safe option. You can always find something "interesting" :)

I agree with you on that.

I know you've had your Yaris a while and done a few mods to it. (we used to natter on the forum)

I've been there and done that too as you may remember. However now, prudence will ensure that I don't have to work in a gas station when I hit pensionable age. Rather I will still be able to enjoy myself.

Ps. I certainly would never by a boring car just because it was the safe option. You can always find something "interesting" :)

Hahhahaah I had a feeling it was you :D glad to see you're still around :D

At least o Ford Ranger noone wil steal it. What you do if your Vigo get stolen? Insurance don't pay the full amount and you don't know how long. Anyway i think the Ranger Wild Track is the nicest and best Truck for the money and the risk of teft is much lower than with a Toyota or D Max

I tell you this is the best driving truck i have ever owned. I owned one in America, and it was not built to the quality they are here it seems.

Is there anyway I can have it shipped back to the states and drive it there? I would love to have it in the states with me now.

If someone knowes pleas let me know if it is possible. I think the shipping would be resonable but i do not know about the restrictions in the states.

Thanks.

SpoonMan, I just do not know about these things. I was thinking the diesel might be a problem passing controls there.

But i have no idea. I see the big rig diesels pumping black smoke all day there. So ............. I don't know. I hope someone has tried it before and can fill me in.

Thanks

I just do not know the answer to that question. It may be an issue. I have seen cars in the past in America with the steering wheel same as here. But just don't know about these things.

You would be able to sell a right-hand drive truck in America at a premium price - for use as a mail delivery vehicle out in the countryside. Mailboxes are on the right side of the road and we drive on the right. Not illegal to drive a right-hand drive vehicle at all, but not seen often (except mail carriers).

kenk3z

Forgot, Nice truck RadekGCZ. Mine is not near that nice, but it drives like a dream.

I think you made a good choice.

Thank you but mine is not nice as new already, Im stupid :) , I broke front bumper and damaged left side step, in 2 small accidents. Both when turning car out of main road (farm area) not expected object on the side of road and my previous truck was having 6" lift :D

My dealer was very helpfull, even I dont want to make repairs, since I feel my offroad adventure will give more scratches, he said my 1st class insurance will pay for, he even bring me to insurance company... I added front metal protection for 2300B only (as all pickups have but price surprised me)

+ Im thinking about 2" lift which will allow bigger tires (245/70R16 now to 265/70R16, maybe bit more) and car will be in total 6-7cm higher. Both my problems will not happend if car higher by 2cm.

After 1000kms car perform nice, quiet, and Im getting 11l/100km but driving is 50% fast 120-150 out of city and 50 normal in city, light feet will get 8lt, with Vigo 3.0 aut was getting 12+, I feel that Ranger is also much stronger.

Some people posted about making Isuzu Dmax softer but this is not needed here, even driving alone, car is comfy...

Deposited 10K for Ranger 3.0L DC 4x4 AT Wildtrac today, will be delivered in 1 week...

Got discount 20K+ free service plan 5yrs (18k)+free delivery, free 1 yrs insurance.

I will post about its perfomance later, for my location (NE,Yasothon) it was probably the best choice, can load things for fishing and dont brake wheels out of city as normal pasenger car.

+ I dont want to be another Toyota, Isuzu sheep :)

Looking at one myself they look "built tough" not prissy urban tractors! Have 2000 Fighter at present love it but not 4x4 and need one on the farm in the wet.. What pricing are we talking here... I looked up on the ford site and found the open cab at 749k is that about right or are there better deals to be had. What is the diff between wildtrack and the reg 4x4?? Seems a lot of decals and steps and stuff can't tell on the ford site??

thx

david

Looking at one myself they look "built tough" not prissy urban tractors! Have 2000 Fighter at present love it but not 4x4 and need one on the farm in the wet.. What pricing are we talking here... I looked up on the ford site and found the open cab at 749k is that about right or are there better deals to be had. What is the diff between wildtrack and the reg 4x4?? Seems a lot of decals and steps and stuff can't tell on the ford site??

thx

david

I think main difference: aluminium mount on rear bad, plastic cover over first 20cms of bed, which covers 3rd braking light so they dont install from factory (I would like to have it),plastic bad cover, I think only starting version dont have bumbper and side steps...

Ranger Double-Cab Hi-rider 2.5 XLT5-speed manualRetail price at THB 719,000, this one will be nice if you dont need 4wd and manual is OK, power is ok, check which version have airbags, this one should have 1-2, I choose 3.0lt 4x4 aut, which also have side airbags, so difference between 852 for manual and 890 automatic is smaller by 2airbags... Wildtrack also look more cool :) but if dont want to save money go for fisrt option, also good and I tested 2.5 manual and power is OK... Ranger is good, ask for discount, tell them you got discount from toyota, they will give something :D

LOL,,,, Hey radekGCZ.. I did the exact same thing....... Had mine about 2 weeks and did the exact same thing.. I am looking at a lift kit for mine today....

Here in Thailand you have the lemming principle. If it isn't an Isuzu or a Toyota it isn't any good. That Ford is as good of a truck as they build and a very close second to Isuzu as far as fuel economy.Isuzu and Ford are the number one and number two.

Regarding Pick-Up sales numbers in 2009 in TH:

1. Toyota

2. Isuzu

3. Nissan

4. Mitsubishi

5. Ford

6. Mazda

I had a very intensive research when I bought my new Pick-Up

two years ago. My favourites were Toyota VIGO and the new FORD Ranger.

I always hate to be part of the mainstream, but - sorry! - the Toyota VIGO was

- and withe new VIGOII-Model still is - the best value for money.

Technically and designwise I like the FORD Ranger II 3.2 Wildtrak most. Maybe

now nearly 2 years after release of the Ranger II Ford is slowly doing something

on pricing? If the comparable models of Ford would be considerably cheaper than

the Toyotas Ford would be the best value for money.

In comparison to Isuzu D-Max the VIGO chassis deforms nicely while crashing.

The downside might be a terribly destroyed chassis after a major crash but

you would have good chances to survive. The D-Max is a brick chassis-wise.

If having a major crash with a D-Max without AirBags or with late or not opening

AirBags passengers are facing a heavy impact.

I was driving a new NISSAN Frontier TL 2.7 from 2005-2008 and was very happy.

NISSAN engines are very reliable (no leaking oil in 3 years) and generally strong.

However, we are talking about a range of far developed Diesel-Trucks which offers

everything for any size of wallet. It finally depends on your taste as well.

• 2 weeks later...
At least o Ford Ranger noone wil steal it.

Four years ago many Rangers were stolen here in the north of Thailand,

to be exported to Burma.

I bought an Everest 4.5 years ago, turbo-intercooler, the last of its kind.

The new model was already warming up around the corner so to say.

Got a great discount on it.

Good and pleasant service, cheap even compared to what I hear from friends

who drive Japanese trucks.

As the Mazda trucks are almost the same you can also go to a Mazda dealer

for service. They are even cheaper.

The amazing thing is that after a while I even started to like its design,

which is, how else can I say it, non-existent.

The car shows no pretention at all and that is also refreshing in a way.

Yes, I like to drive around in a disastrous ugly American car 555!

I think now that these 'over-designed' Japanese cars are even uglier than a Ford.

Anyhow, after almost 90.000 km even the gearbox still works perfectly.

Three Ford drivers, including myself, got problems with the clutch.

If you start to feel that the clutch is doing a little bit strange you better go to your

dealer, otherwise you might end up standing in the middle of nowhere or, even funnier,

on the middle of Sukhumvit.

Limbo :)

At least o Ford Ranger noone wil steal it.

Four years ago many Rangers were stolen here in the north of Thailand,

to be exported to Burma.

I bought an Everest 4.5 years ago, turbo-intercooler, the last of its kind.

The new model was already warming up around the corner so to say.

Got a great discount on it.

Good and pleasant service, cheap even compared to what I hear from friends

who drive Japanese trucks.

As the Mazda trucks are almost the same you can also go to a Mazda dealer

for service. They are even cheaper.

The amazing thing is that after a while I even started to like its design,

which is, how else can I say it, non-existent.

The car shows no pretention at all and that is also refreshing in a way.

Yes, I like to drive around in a disastrous ugly American car 555!

I think now that these 'over-designed' Japanese cars are even uglier than a Ford.

Anyhow, after almost 90.000 km even the gearbox still works perfectly.

Three Ford drivers, including myself, got problems with the clutch.

If you start to feel that the clutch is doing a little bit strange you better go to your

dealer, otherwise you might end up standing in the middle of nowhere or, even funnier,

on the middle of Sukhumvit.

Limbo :)

It depend the taste of peaple. I personally think the Ford has the best design of all the Pick Up Trucks in Thailand. specialy i like the new ones. I bought the 4 door Wildtrak