2009 Ford Ranger

garyk

I have been here about 14 months now driving a motorcycle and have been going to the car auction ( Lotus , Home Pro ) at first just killing time.

After a while i noticed no one was bidding on the Ford Rangers. So since the motorcycle was killing me slowly.. :) I finally bid on a 2009 Ford Ranger with 22,000 KM on the clock ( There were only me and one other interested and when he saw me bid he quit ) So i paid 314,000 for it.

Which was below my budger for a truck here. Before i bought a ford I tried to read about the new DuroTorq Motor and reliability. I really found only good things to say about it.

My Question is why do people not like the ford? Is it really a bad truck? Will I have problems with in down the road? What the hel_l. I bought a new Ranger for nothing. I took it to the dealer and he said it still had 2.5 years warrenty. After i had it serviced and all fluids changed and really gone over. He said it is as good as any they sell.

I had to add a spare tire. The spare had been stolen and i added a new battery. The auction guys stuck a old one in on me.

The thing drives stronger than my toyota V-6 Tundra back home. Man is it peppy... I asked the service manager and he said the new engins were really powerful and dependiable.. With excellent milage for a deisel.

Is it because it says Ford or is it really a bad truck? I was going to buy a new Nissan but when i saw this one i bit the bullet and bought it..

Some of you old wrench heads should know about this truck. It is a ranger open cab. With the 2.5L DuroTorq engine in it.

Gary

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a new Ford Renger Wild Track, 2.5 liter Duratec, 4 door and automatic. I'm very happy with the truck and it's the best truck i ever drove here in Thailand. Of corse i missing the blubbering V8 sound, it's only a diesel, because in Thailand they sell only diesel trucks, but apart from that i'm very happy. The truck has 142hp. more power than a 3 liter Toyota Sport Cruiser. Very confotrable and goodlooking Truck. Would not change it to any Toyota or D Max Truck.

Here in Thailand you have the lemming principle. If it isn't an Isuzu or a Toyota it isn't any good. That Ford is as good of a truck as they build and a very close second to Isuzu as far as fuel economy.Isuzu and Ford are the number one and number two.

Like Stingray, I bought a 4 door, automatic, 2.5 L Wildtrak back in August. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, a very nice truck. Smooth and powerful and, dare I say, pretty good looking. Even today as we pulled up at the market in Surin my wife heard a couple of the locals making very nice comments about our car. If it's as reliable as the Ford Ranger we had before, it will run without any reliabilty problems. In all respects it's a luxury pickup truck with many bells and whistles. :)

Sounds like the OP got a really good deal, well done. Are auctions a good way to buy cars in LOS? what drawbacks are there?

I'd be interested in learning how they work, where they are held and what the requirements are as I know nothing about them.

How did the OP get the car so cheaply? was he lucky that there was nothing wrong with it?

I've noticed that Thai's dislike Fords but no Thai I ask can tell me why; I've been living here three years and I'm pretty used to that now. Not just Fords, everything; visas, taxes, politics, food. I used to question things by asking "Surely...." or "Logically...." but I've learnt to bite my tongue. I think the OP got a bargain and want to know how he did it. Nice looking truck by the way.

"...it's only a diesel, because in Thailand they sell only diesel trucks"

Are you saying all trucks are diesel, or just all Ford trucks?

I have a Thai friend who ordered a gasoline engined truck because he we going to be crossing mountains often. I forget which brand it was.

-----------------------------

"It is a ranger open cab."

What do you mean by 'open cab'?

Terry

I have a Thai friend who ordered a gasoline engined truck because he we going to be crossing mountains often. I forget which brand it was.

Terry

Toyota and Mitsubishi are available with gasolineengine too. Thirsty and lazy. Only reason to get one is to have it conversted to CNG or LPG.

Open cab in Ford terms means 2+2 doors.. Toyota calls it smart cab

Terry

Toyota and Mitsubishi are available with gasolineengine too. Thirsty and lazy. Only reason to get one is to have it conversted to CNG or LPG.

Open cap is the one with the suzide doors, not a real 4 door truck. 300'k isn't really a bargain, because it's a Ford and i guess it's a manual gear, but it's a good price. So far as i see i never saw a Pick Up with a Petrol engine, unless it was changed later to a 1 or 2 JZ engine, wich they use to doo, during the high Dieselfguel prices 2 years ago. The only Petrol engine i know it s 2.7 liter 4 banger in the Toyota Fortuner, they do, but this is not what i talking about. I never saw that engine in a Truck, but maybe you can order it. But this isn't what i mean. 4 cylinder is 4 cylinder, diesel or petrol, but still a 4 banger. I know the todays diesel are quite powerful with all the commonrail, torbo and intercooler technonlgy. They got 14o to 150 horse power. But a normal 2JZ Petrol engine, 3 liter with no turbo and no intercooler comes already to 225 horsepower and the fuelconsumtion isn't much higher. So if you have a 3 liter 2JZ, turbo intercooler you come nearly to 300 hp, double the power of a 3 liter turbo and intercooled diesel. Not only this, Petrol engines are much smother than a diesel. We are in the car rental business, therefore i have to buy diesel anyway, but for my personal choice i would only consider a V8. There is no way to buy a V8 Truck in Thailand, but the only way to drive one, is to build one, maybe with a 1 UZ engine.

manual gear, but it's a good price. So far as i see i never saw a Pick Up with a Petrol engine, unless it was changed later to a 1 or 2 JZ engine, wich they use to doo, during the high Dieselfguel prices 2 years ago. The only Petrol engine i know it s 2.7 liter 4 banger in the Toyota Fortuner, they do, but this is not what i talking about. I never saw that engine in a Truck, but maybe you can order it. But this isn't what i mean. 4 cylinder is 4 cylinder, diesel or petrol, but still a 4 banger. I know the todays diesel are quite powerful with all the commonrail, torbo and intercooler technonlgy. They got 14o to 150 horse power. But a normal 2JZ Petrol engine, 3 liter with no turbo and no intercooler comes already to 225 horsepower and the fuelconsumtion isn't much higher. So if you have a 3 liter 2JZ, turbo intercooler you come nearly to 300 hp, double the power of a 3 liter turbo and intercooled diesel. Not only this, Petrol engines are much smother than a diesel. We are in the car rental business, therefore i have to buy diesel anyway, but for my personal choice i would only consider a V8. There is no way to buy a V8 Truck in Thailand, but the only way to drive one, is to build one, maybe with a 1 UZ engine.

The only Toyota Prerunner with auto available is the 2,7 petrol at 686k.

Half of the thousands of police Vigo been delivered this year have the 2,7 petrol. Less expensive to buy. Fuel is another budget.

Mitsubishi also sells Triton with a 4 pot petrolengine.

300'k isn't really a bargain, because it's a Ford and i guess it's a manual gear, but it's a good price

Open cab 2.5 rangers start at 556,000, 314K for a secondhand one less than 1yr old is pretty decent price i reckon.

The dealers dont want to buy them cause they sell so slowly. So bargains for users are available. A dmax or vigo would fetch 420-450k. mitsu 360k.

Crikey, even I would buy a 2009 Ford pick-up if it's going for 300K! But that doesn't mean I would like it! :)

Aha, another convert to the Thai sheep mentality of Toyota, Isuzu, Toyota, Isuzu, Toyota, Isuzu etc etc etc.

I used to have a Ranger Wildtrak and it was an easy choice after driving the competition from Toyota, Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Nissan. The Ranger is as good as, if not better, than anything else available but because this is Thailand it's not popular which means there are great bargains to be had when buying nearly-new.

Toyota / Isuzu are more popular upcountry partly because they have much bigger service networks, so while a truck is under warranty you can usually get it serviced at an authorised dealer without too much hassle. Even in BKK the Ford dealer network is pretty thin on the ground. I've always taken my Ranger (DoubleCab 4WD) to a nearby Mazda dealer given that Mazda / Ford trucks are essentially the same vehicles with minor external styling differences: they both come out of the same Ford plant in Rayong. But you'll invalidate the warranty on a new Ford if you go to a Mazda dealer (same if you take a Chevy to an Isuzu dealer, although both come out of the GM plant in Rayong).

Just as you pay less for the truck when you buy, so you'll get less when you sell, compared to a similar age Toyota /Isuzu. But then you'll also save on insurance too, since the total insured value of the Ford will be less.

Personally I think the Ranger is a great truck and mine's been pretty reliable in the 3+ years I've had it. If they're good enough for the Afghan army, they're good enough for me (er ...)

post-96308-1259747458_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it's pretty sad how even the silly foreigners here have gotten sucked into the Thai Toyota, Isuzu, Honda only brigade. Baaaa. And probably just to justify their wives selection in vehicle. :)

There are many good vehicles out there.

Yeah, it's pretty sad how even the silly foreigners here have gotten sucked into the Thai Toyota, Isuzu, Honda only brigade. Baaaa. And probably just to justify their wives selection in vehicle. :)

There are many good vehicles out there.

The problem is that most of all this foreigners listen to their girls and their girls listen to their brothers (they say it's the brother). Anyway i'm happy with the Ford. and i wouldn't change it to any other brand.

its all been said already

the ford brand is not as valued as it should be here and that means smart people are getting great deals on great trucks

i imagine things will change soon round here for the better for ford so that will make the deal even sweeter

A laugh a minute here in the land of smiles. Your buy at 300K was about 75 below retail market and one hel_l of a good deal. i did the auctions but most units were dogs. still looking. 35 years in the auto business and still can't find a good deal so far. The Ford is a beast and a good all around workhorse. short on up to date styling but easier to drive due to slightly lower width. McPheason struts handle better up front but decline in performance with age. The Thais never change the oil or filters so watch out for low milage units with filthy oil and pass on them. The damage is severe to the bearings.

bella

A laugh a minute here in the land of smiles. Your buy at 300K was about 75 below retail market and one hel_l of a good deal. i did the auctions but most units were dogs. still looking. 35 years in the auto business and still can't find a good deal so far. The Ford is a beast and a good all around workhorse. short on up to date styling but easier to drive due to slightly lower width. McPheason struts handle better up front but decline in performance with age. The Thais never change the oil or filters so watch out for low milage units with filthy oil and pass on them. The damage is severe to the bearings.

bella

most units in auctions are repos not being maintained. not seen one good deal yet.

get a new one, chevy starts at 399k now with flatbed or ordinary bed

300'k isn't really a bargain, because it's a Ford and i guess it's a manual gear, but it's a good price

Open cab 2.5 rangers start at 556,000, 314K for a secondhand one less than 1yr old is pretty decent price i reckon.

I bought a Ford 4x4 four years ago when it was less than a year old for 350K, the guy was desperate for money, and it has never missed a beat in the 100K+ km I have put on it, and it has had some serious off road driving on the farm.

I would buy another tomorrow but wifey loves this one and won't let me sell it???

Yup, if the wife says, "Dee Mak" u buy a DMax

If you value your own oppinion, you'd snap up a Ranger bargain.

I helped a (thai female) friend get into one last year 2004 4 door with carryboy back for B255k low miles. the same money would have got a very ropey Tiger and NO vigo!

I just saw a 2005 open cab hi rider for 300k that I fancy for myself.

Having read this maybe I can do better!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note. I have put 5,000 KM on the clock since i bought her. She is the tightest small truck i have ever driven. And handles great. I changed to Mobile 1 syn and a full service done. Added 25,000 in acc. Now the GF says sauy mak...... LOL, what a joke.

Gets great milage. about 14 town and mountains and 15-16 highway so far.

I will say i looked for a long time before i bought a car at auction. And I will deffinately do it again if the time is right. This one had the service book in the glove box and showed the service. And the body was straight and good paint. It was just what i wanted for my Travels in Thailand and so far i have not been disapointed.

But I bought it to drive and if i stay here long term I will drive it until the wheels fall off. One more thing now that i have bought it i have to find a new project. My gf and i had so much fun looking every week and traveling to the auctions. I kinda miss it now that i have bought..... :)

If you do buy at auction please be careful and do your homework. It is not as easy as you might think. Actually it is a pain, but a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks, to everyone.

We had a Ford Ranger 4x4 which I picked up at 1 year old for 400k in BKK. It had a lot of extras on it too, but quite a high mileage.

There were a few problems early on which were down to the bearings, but when we had them replaced with new (the Thai garage were going to give us second hand ones, as new was expensive!) and replaced all 4 tires as well we had no more problems in about 100k over 5 years.

We sold it in my wife's village and people were trying to give us 350k for the thing, after all that extra time and mileage! In the end we sold it cheap to my wifes sister.

We bought a new Nissan Navarra, which I can say has been very good. We left it in the village up north and the family barely drive it, because it is too new (around 18 months now!)

Terry

Open cap is the one with the suzide doors, not a real 4 door truck. 300'k isn't really a bargain, because it's a Ford and i guess it's a manual gear, but it's a good price. So far as i see i never saw a Pick Up with a Petrol engine, unless it was changed later to a 1 or 2 JZ engine, wich they use to doo, during the high Dieselfguel prices 2 years ago. The only Petrol engine i know it s 2.7 liter 4 banger in the Toyota Fortuner, they do, but this is not what i talking about. I never saw that engine in a Truck, but maybe you can order it. But this isn't what i mean. 4 cylinder is 4 cylinder, diesel or petrol, but still a 4 banger. I know the todays diesel are quite powerful with all the commonrail, torbo and intercooler technonlgy. They got 14o to 150 horse power. But a normal 2JZ Petrol engine, 3 liter with no turbo and no intercooler comes already to 225 horsepower and the fuelconsumtion isn't much higher. So if you have a 3 liter 2JZ, turbo intercooler you come nearly to 300 hp, double the power of a 3 liter turbo and intercooled diesel. Not only this, Petrol engines are much smother than a diesel. We are in the car rental business, therefore i have to buy diesel anyway, but for my personal choice i would only consider a V8. There is no way to buy a V8 Truck in Thailand, but the only way to drive one, is to build one, maybe with a 1 UZ engine.

Done: 1uzfe in a toyota Tiger 1999, i would not change for an other one!

bella

Ummm, the Ranger does not have a strut front end.

Yes, the Ranger doesn't but maybe he was referring to the Ford Focus or Escape which do.

Bit of a strange comment though

McPheason struts handle better up front but decline in performance with age

which suspension systems don't decline with age???

good advice about watching out for a poorly-maintained vehicle, though.

Deposited 10K for Ranger 3.0L DC 4x4 AT Wildtrac today, will be delivered in 1 week...

Got discount 20K+ free service plan 5yrs (18k)+free delivery, free 1 yrs insurance.

I will post about its perfomance later, for my location (NE,Yasothon) it was probably the best choice, can load things for fishing and dont brake wheels out of city as normal pasenger car.

+ I dont want to be another Toyota, Isuzu sheep :)

Yes, the Ranger doesn't but maybe he was referring to the Ford Focus or Escape which do.

And what exactly does a "reference" to a Focus or Escape have to do in a thread about a Ranger ??

<snip>

Edited by soundman
Other's are entitled to their opinions. Please keep it civil.

Deposited 10K for Ranger 3.0L DC 4x4 AT Wildtrac today, will be delivered in 1 week...

Got discount 20K+ free service plan 5yrs (18k)+free delivery, free 1 yrs insurance.

I will post about its perfomance later, for my location (NE,Yasothon) it was probably the best choice, can load things for fishing and dont brake wheels out of city as normal pasenger car.

+ I dont want to be another Toyota, Isuzu sheep :)

Good choice, you won't be disappointed.