Abhisit Is The Most Difficult Thai Pm: Hun Sen

george

THAI-CAMBODIA ROW

Abhisit is the most difficult Thai PM : Hun Sen

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia: -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday described Thai PM Abhisit Vejjajiva as the most difficult Thai premier he has worked with.

The mutual ties which has been sour for months would be normalised only if Thailand has a new government, Hun Sen told reporters in Phnom Penh.

He claimed that Abhisit phoned him during the weekend after Phnom Penh government sent a note to inform Bangkok last week that it decided to cancel its request to receive a loan of US$41 million for a road construction from a Thai border province.

"Abhisit called me, for the first time, on the weekend, asking me to withdraw the note. He said Thailand is still willing to give the loans to Cambodia," Hun Sen said.

Abhisit was informed that Cambodia needed an official letter from him. The Thai premier agreed but later failed to sign and send the letter by 10am as promised on Saturday.

"Abhisit as the most difficult person to work with among the Thai PMs I have worked with," Hun Sen said.

Hun Sen further criticised Abhisit government for looking down on Cambodia by threatening to withdraw its aids for Cambodia following fugitive ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra's visit to Phnom Penh in early November.

Hun Sen told reporters that from now on Cambodia would not accept any aid from Thailand.

"We decided to stop receiving any aid and assistance from Thailand. Cambodia can not allow itself to be humiliated," said Prime Minister Hun Sen.

He referred what he called threats by Thailand to withdraw its aids to Cambodia in a diplomatic spat between the two neighboring countries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation & Asia News Network 2009-11-30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the source, I'd likely take it as a compliment if I was Abhisit.

Yes Abhisit ought to feel enlightened.

Not kow towing to Hun Sen on age alone is enough to set GHun Sen off,

and THAT is not Abhisits problem but Hun Sen's, no matter how he spins it.

Negotiations are a two way street.

Hun Sen stopped negotiating in good faith when he went on Thaksin's figurative payroll.

It really makes no difference what Hun Sen says on this because he is now

institutionally biased against ANY non-Thaksin PTP government,

so let him talk all he wants.

If Burma wasn't right next door he would be quite glaring in his cupidity,

but next to them he is just a nation heading wanke_r.

THAI-CAMBODIA ROWS

Hun Sen rules out normal ties with Abhisit government

By Rasmei Kampuchea

Asia News Network

Published on December 1, 2009

Phnom Penh - Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen attacked Thailand again yesterday, saying the Thai government was derisive about his country and that Abhisit Vejjajiva was the most difficult Thai PM he had ever worked with.

Hun Sen told reporters in Phnom Penh that bilateral relations, which have been sour for months now, would only be normalised if Thailand had a new government. He added that his country would "have no happiness" while Abhisit and Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya were still in power.

"I'm not an enemy of the Thai people ... But, these two people look down on Cambodia," Hun Sen said.

"Cambodia will have no happiness as long as this group is in power."

Hun Sen claimed that Abhisit called him over the weekend after Phnom Penh sent a note last week telling Bangkok that it was cancelling its request for a Bt1.4-billion loan to construct a road from the Thai border to Siem Reap.

"Abhisit called me, for the first time, asking me to withdraw the note. He said Thailand is still willing to give the loan," Hun Sen said.

However, Abhisit was told that Cambodia needed an official letter from him, but though the Thai premier agreed he failed to send the letter at the time it was promised.

"Abhisit is the most difficult person to work with when compared to other Thai PMs," Hun Sen said, adding that from now on Cambodia would not accept any aid from Thailand.

"We have decided to stop receiving any assistance from Thailand. Cambodia cannot allow itself to be humiliated," he added. "I told Abhisit that my people and I were hurt when we heard you talk about halting aid and loans. Now stop talking like this - it is cheap and childish."

The Cambodian leader also hit back about Thailand's threat to close the border between the two countries, saying: "If you are [an] idiot, if you want losses, please go ahead."

Bilateral relations between the two countries soured when Hun Sen appointed fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra as his economic adviser and refused to extradite him to Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/1

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

If anyone is interested in doing a little research it is interesting to see what the Cambodian opposition are saying about this whole affair. While in the Thai media and analytical blogosphere we have heard everything Hun Sen, the Thai government and the Thai oppostion have said nobody to date has covered what the Cambodian opposition say whihc is quite an indictment of both Thai journalistic standards and also the claims that the blog analysts are any better.

Interesting politics if analysed from every perspective and not just ones that suit people.

Edited for typos and no doubt i missed some

Edited by hammered

Hun Sen is more worried about his face vs a younger more dynamic leader,

than the that of the good of his people, face uber ales. Pathetic.

Hun Sen never needed to deal directly with Kasit anyway, that is the job of his FM.

This is all just Thaksin inspired talk, with Dubai hitting the fan financially

and openly talking about ousting Thaksin, Dr. Takki needed a new hidey hole.

Funny, all other ASEAN, and world, leaders have a fine time working with Abhisit.

He has been effective as the ASEAN chair, with in it's constrictive, youthful parameters.

Only Hun Sen has a personal issue.... duh.

Phnom Penh - Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen attacked Thailand again yesterday, saying the Thai government was derisive about his country and that Abhisit Vejjajiva was the most difficult Thai PM he had ever worked with.

Hun Sen told reporters in Phnom Penh that bilateral relations, which have been sour for months now, would only be normalised if Thailand had a new government. He added that his country would "have no happiness" while Abhisit and Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya were still in power.

"I'm not an enemy of the Thai people ... But, these two people look down on Cambodia," Hun Sen said.

"Cambodia will have no happiness as long as this group is in power."

<snip for brevity>

Or, to put it another way, Thailand now has a less-corruptible PM than in the old days, so Hun Sen has problems knowing how to manipulate him, to his own advantage ! :) Good for Abhisit ! :D

Or perhaps he really does think, Thailand should select its governments, merely with the aim of keeping Cambodia happy ? :D

This doesn't look good for Thailand. First you have a neighbor essentially trashing you and this distracts from your power and influence in the region. That's something that Thailand doesn't need right now. Abhisit is a nice guy, but he is lacking in firm leadership ability and in keeping a cool head. All the wailing, crying and gnashing of teeth that Thailand did over Thaksin's visit (as well as Kasit's remarks about Cambodia) are coming back to bite them in the behind.

Thailand would have done much better to take the high road and use a diplomatic approach. This government has work to do and that includes something besides chasing after Thaksin.

As for Hun Sen....well his words speak for themselves.

Not only two people are looking down on Cambodia... I do as well, and this for ages!

As an ex-Khmer rouge criminal Hun Sen should be on trial at Den Hague... right now :D

By that rationale so should Thailand, for allowing Khmer Rouge fighters and their leader, Pol Pot, safe refuge in Thailand while giving them assistance in the fight against the Vietnamese from within Thai borders and backing the Khmer Rouge in the UN as the rightful government of Cambodia. :)

Hun Sen is a a Khmer Rouge death merchant

As are the Thai special forces units that fought and worked with the Khmer Rouge attacking Vietnamese troops along the border and in the Western regions of Cambodia all through the 80's and into the 90's.

As is the Thai special forces unit that was assigned as Pol Pot's personal bodyguards while he was living at his safe haven in Trat Province.

As is the Thai army which is partly responsible for the huge proliferation of land mines along the border areas, making the Western area of Cambodia the most heavily mined area in Asia.

As are the Thai military personnel that were involved in the Preah Vihear Massacre where thousands of Cambodian civilians fleeing the Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge were slaughtered, raped and robbed.

Etc, etc, etc.

Edited by Oberkommando

As are the Thai special forces units that fought and worked with the Khmer Rouge attacking Vietnamese troops along the border and in the Western regions of Cambodia all through the 80's and into the 90's.

As is the Thai special forces unit that was assigned as Pol Pot's personal bodyguards while he was living at his safe haven in Trat Province.

As is the Thai army which is partly responsible for the huge proliferation of land mines along the border areas, making the Western area of Cambodia the most heavily mined area in Asia.

As are the Thai military personnel that were involved in the Preah Vihear Massacre where thousands of Cambodian civilians fleeing the Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge were slaughtered, raped and robbed.

Etc, etc, etc.

I would love to know where you got this information. My in-law family lives in Trat, but I never heard anything like that.

In particular, can you give me your source for:

- Thai special forces assigned to Pol Pot

- Land mines put by Thai forces in Cambodia

Thanks

Are SE Asians really so childish that they can't see that this has everything with Hun Sen and Thaksin being old cronies and nothing to do with Abhisit? So because of some immature, little-boy attitude from Hun Sen spurred on by an equally immature Thaksin, he's going to make an already very impoverished country suffer more by cutting off a source of aid. The next thing I expect to hear is that Hun Sen and Thaksin are going to hold their breath until Abhisit goes away. No wonder Thailand and Cambodia are slipping into becoming 4th-world nations. HOPELESS!!!!

Edited by Beacher

Etc, etc, etc.

That USA and Thailand supported Pol Pot is one of the darkest points of Thailands recent history and one of many dark points of the US history.

nothing to be proud of for Thais and Americans.

Etc, etc, etc.

That as it may be, what is your point?

:):D Waahhh! You're not playing by my rules! I'm taking my ball and going home!

Hun Sen is actually telling Thailand "take your ball back, I am going home".

To paraphrase: "If the Thai Government does not behave to my expectations, I will not allow my Government to accept their Loans"

This whole Cambodian gambit by Thaksin (and Chaovalit et al) continues to backfire spectacularly; how any Cambodian PM could imagine that expressing disapproval of a sitting Thai PM would diminish the image of that PM and improve, in Thai eyes, the stature of past Thai PM's of whom he, Hun Sen, clearly approves, beggars belief.

Patrick

Etc, etc, etc.

I would love to know where you got this information. My in-law family lives in Trat, but I never heard anything like that.

In particular, can you give me your source for:

- Thai special forces assigned to Pol Pot

- Land mines put by Thai forces in Cambodia

Thanks

Forget it man, this cats someone who sings the red flag and hates capitalism.

I think if anything the border guys helping Pol Pot were guerrilla insurgents and not thai sf troops.

Cambodians are pretty much the masters of mass minefields too. Just look at the poor wretched folk at the tourist attractions in Phnom Phen...