Abhisit Is The Most Difficult Thai Pm: Hun Sen

george

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the latest report on the Bangkok Post regarding a Gen Panlop's comments to the situation, I don't think Phua Thai can get much lower.

Abhisit is far from being the aggressor here.

Poo Thai would be Hun Sens buddy. Imagine if they were in government.Takki would be paraded in public with Sen and some Poo Thai corrupt, elected by fraud, leader.

Poo= Slang word for Excrement

Edited by sunnymarky

:):D Waahhh! You're not playing by my rules! I'm taking my ball and going home!

Hun Sen is actually telling Thailand "take your ball back, I am going home".

To paraphrase: "If the Thai Government does not behave to my expectations, I will not allow my Government to accept their Loans"

This whole Cambodian gambit by Thaksin (and Chaovalit et al) continues to backfire spectacularly; how any Cambodian PM could imagine that expressing disapproval of a sitting Thai PM would diminish the image of that PM and improve, in Thai eyes, the stature of past Thai PM's of whom he, Hun Sen, clearly approves, beggars belief.

Patrick

Hun Sen very much has his own angle on this which is realted to internal Cambodian poltics. It isnt being mentioned by anyone in Thailand but is crucial to understanding aht is going on. All you hear in Thailand from all sides is what they want you to hear and what fits their narrow poltical lines. The news reporting and analysis has been utterly abysmal on this issue as a major contributing factor is just ignored.

In the long term Hun Sen hopes to have a friendly government back in place in Thailand that will owe him some big favours but for now he wants distractions to what the Vietanmese (another tradtional enemy) are up to and apart from having the convenient distraction of a Thai enemy next door he is also busy making sure some of his own internal opposition will remain resident in Europe rather than back in Cambodia criticising him.

Thailand would have done much better to take the high road and use a diplomatic approach.

Funny, I thought withdrawing its ambassador to Cambodia, was a diplomatic approach ?

And as for Hun Sen withdrawing his loan-application to Thailand, for $41-million to build a road, surely his 'hissy-fit' damages his own country, more than Thailand ? What sort of leadership is that ? :)

I would love to know where you got this information. My in-law family lives in Trat, but I never heard anything like that.

In particular, can you give me your source for:

- Thai special forces assigned to Pol Pot

- Land mines put by Thai forces in Cambodia

Thanks

Instead of making off topic posts why not do a bit of research on the internet? I can't sure say who did what, when and to whom but Thailand does not come through that period of history in a good light. And don't put too much store by your in laws, a colleague has a Cambodian wife who was brought to Thailand by her family and knows nothing about those dark years, Many people think that if they don't talk about it then it never happened.

The fact that Hun Sen, and others from the KR leadership, were allowed to effectively take charge of Cambodia is a demonstration of just how far the KR had gone in eliminating not only actual opposition but perceived opposition. By 1975 virtually the entire Cambodian middle class had been annhilated, all those with education and particularly all those with political or government experience were subject to summary execution.

So it's little wonder HS and TS are such buddies, both are familiar with the same methods of eliminating opponents.

I do know that Abhisit has acted with measured calm during this whole incident, and he is a hel_l of a lot more dignified in a leadership position than Hun Sen or Thaksin ever were.

Thailand is better off having him at the helm.

couldn't agree more.

the longer all that goes, the more should even those Thai people who are a little mentally slow realize, that they have quite a smart and sincere PM these days....... but maybe that's not what some want...... and of course not what that thug HunSen wants. what a pathetic jerk.

I really wonder if there is no serious opposition in Cambodia, or are they all being gunned down by HunSen's troops as soon as they raise their voice ? well, probably....

As an ex-Khmer rouge criminal Hun Sen should be on trial at Den Hague... right now :)

As an ex-Khmer rouge who defected to Vietnam in 1977 after his disgust with the KR, and his part in planning and assisting the overthrowing of the Khmer rouge in late 1978 you mean?

(Hun Sen was a officer in the Khmer Rouge. After witnessing the excesses of the Khmer Rouge in 1976, he defected to Vietnam in 1977 and quickly became an important leader in the Vietnamese-backed resistance to the Khmer Rouge. When the Rouge regime was overthrown, Hun Sen was appointed foreign minister from 1979 until 1990, with a brief interruption from 1986 until 1987. As foreign minister Hun Sen was a key figure in the Paris Peace Talks which brokered peace in Indochina. He became prime minister in 1985, shortly after the death of Chan Sy . From 1993 until 1998 he was co-prime-minister with Prince Norodom Ranariddh. He has been reputed for using intimidation tactics in politics to remain in power. )

Or for not cow-towing to the uneducated Thais who still think they built the Angkor period temples and should have it all back with most parts of north-eastern Cambodia when in Angkor times Thailand didn't even exist? Why shouldn't the Thais be on trial for letting the British SAS and US Marines train the Pol Pot-led forces in a UN owned area in the south of Thailand. Or the killing of thousands of Cambodian refugees, men, women and children, when the Thai military pushed them back into the mine fields by Preah Vihear after they had escaped the Khmer Rouge in 1979/80.. ?

In the most notorious episode, in 1979, 42,000 Cambodian refugees fleeing the murderous Khmer Rouge were forced back down a cliff into a minefield by the Thai military. Survivors said many of them died.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/world/asia/18thailand.html

..Or for the murders and rapes of hundreds of Vietnamese boat people in the early 80s escaping the Viet Cong?

14cw9j6.jpg

Links:

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/amusement/golf/200/viet.html

http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/arthat.htm

http://www.vietka.com/Vietnamese_Boat_Peop...eStatistics.htm

http://www.cambridgeclarion.org/press_cutt..._14nov1989.html

http://www.newstatesman.com/200004170017

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/asia/july-d...nsen_10-21.html

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/As...022-175254.html

..Or the almost weekly killings of (illegal) Cambodian loggers and mushroom pickers along the Cambodian / Thai border?

Hun Sen should probably be on trial for many things, and so should many Thais Americans, Brits and all kinds of other people.. But if you are going to talk of things you know nothing about, back it up with facts.. or else it's just like 90% of the posts on this forum. Bullshit..

Edited by mrparanoid

'Ricardo' date='2009-12-01 18:35:06' post='3176682']

Credo' post='3176017' date='2009-12-01 13:16:41']Thailand would have done much better to take the high road and use a diplomatic approach.

Funny, I thought withdrawing its ambassador to Cambodia, was a diplomatic approach ?

And as for Hun Sen withdrawing his loan-application to Thailand, for $41-million to build a road, surely his 'hissy-fit' damages his own country, more than Thailand ? What sort of leadership is that ? :)

[/quote)

Hun Sen most likely has more than that tucked in his back pocket right now , he has been going around personally and getting roads rebuilt in the villages , he is not the man he gives the impression he is .

As an ex-Khmer rouge criminal Hun Sen should be on trial at Den Hague... right now :)

As an ex-Khmer rouge who defected to Vietnam in 1977 after his disgust with the KR, and his part in planning and assisting the overthrowing of the Khmer rouge in late 1978 you mean?

(Hun Sen was a officer in the Khmer Rouge. After witnessing the excesses of the Khmer Rouge in 1976, he defected to Vietnam in 1977 and quickly became an important leader in the Vietnamese-backed resistance to the Khmer Rouge. When the Rouge regime was overthrown, Hun Sen was appointed foreign minister from 1979 until 1990, with a brief interruption from 1986 until 1987. As foreign minister Hun Sen was a key figure in the Paris Peace Talks which brokered peace in Indochina. He became prime minister in 1985, shortly after the death of Chan Sy . From 1993 until 1998 he was co-prime-minister with Prince Norodom Ranariddh. He has been reputed for using intimidation tactics in politics to remain in power. )

Or for not cow-towing to the uneducated Thais who still think they built the Angkor Hun Sen should probably be on trial for many things, and so should many Thais Americans, Brits and all kinds of other people.. But if you are going to talk of things you know nothing about, back it up with facts.. or else it's just like 90% of the posts on this forum. Bullshit..

Someone always brings in facts when wild opinion is the order of the day. Imagine what THE NATION would be if the reporters had to back up their views with evidence.

Hun Sen may have others backing him in this little dispute. Thailand is a little bit of a big boy in SE Asia and there are those who probably want to see it lose some face.

The big crack in Thailand appeared during the summit in Pattaya. That was not only embarrassing for Thailand it also put some leaders in harms way. I don't think leaders like that very much. The Chinese in particular may harbor a grudge.

Or for not cow-towing to the uneducated Thais who still think they built the Angkor period temples and should have it all back with most parts of north-eastern Cambodia when in Angkor times Thailand didn't even exist? Why shouldn't the Thais be on trial for letting the British SAS and US Marines train the Pol Pot-led forces in a UN owned area in the south of Thailand. Or the killing of thousands of Cambodian refugees, men, women and children, when the Thai military pushed them back into the mine fields by Preah Vihear after they had escaped the Khmer Rouge in 1979/80.. ?

In the most notorious episode, in 1979, 42,000 Cambodian refugees fleeing the murderous Khmer Rouge were forced back down a cliff into a minefield by the Thai military. Survivors said many of them died.

..Or for the murders and rapes of hundreds of Vietnamese boat people in the early 80s escaping the Viet Cong?

Table Removed.

Links:

..Or the almost weekly killings of (illegal) Cambodian loggers and mushroom pickers along the Cambodian / Thai border?

Hun Sen should probably be on trial for many things, and so should many Thais Americans, Brits and all kinds of other people.. But if you are going to talk of things you know nothing about, back it up with facts.. or else it's just like 90% of the posts on this forum. Bullshit..

I took up Mr. Paranoids challenge. I read all the links that he cited. Here is what I found.

1) None of the links deal with the supposed atrocities of Thais committed against Cambodians, as he claims.

2) While some of these may very well be true, and very tragic, they don't do anything to dispel the argument that Hun Sen has blood on his hands.

3) Actually several of the articles do reference Hun Sen's - as being the leader of a regime full of violence and savagery.

4) Two of the links are actually the same article, on different sites. That tells me he didn't read the articles before posting them.

I would take anything MrParanoid backs up with "Sources" with a grain of salt. Makes you wonder why he is defending Hun Sen in the first place.

I have no doubt that Thai authorities in the past have not been good to migrants. However, I can understand the pressure many probably felt. Imagine the millions who, if given the chance, would leave Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam, for Thailand. That reason, however, does not justify killings, and I hope that things in the future will be more positive. Frankly, in the world of 24 hr news, none of these atrocities are likely to occur again. It is simply to hard to hide, when most people have cameras on their phones. There will always been some soft of photo evidence, in the modern world.

• Like 1

Hun Sen may have others backing him in this little dispute. Thailand is a little bit of a big boy in SE Asia and there are those who probably want to see it lose some face.

The big crack in Thailand appeared during the summit in Pattaya. That was not only embarrassing for Thailand it also put some leaders in harms way. I don't think leaders like that very much. The Chinese in particular may harbor a grudge.

Which is probably why Thaksin hasn't been reported as being in China recently... red shirt leader and all.

Quite why the excesses of the Thai authorities in the past would be deemed by any rational person as excusing the excesses of the Hun Sen regime or his Khmer Rouge background is beyond me. These are well documented and Im sure people on here are quite capable of researching for themselves if they want to or doubt what is put up.

Thankfully this isnt a lame academic site where everything you say has to be backed by so called primary sourcerd material, which is probably just as well consdidering those that obsess over this kind of thing usually resort to secondary sourcing anyway;) Thankfully TV remains a site where people can post opinions and discuss things from their own perspective. Im sure there are plenty of other sites out there where those academically inclined can discuss thing son a "higher" plane than us mere mortals and as usual with academics get it as wrong as everyone else. However, I would suggest to those obsessed weith little linkies to get a little more practice in on referencing priamry sources or validated research before indulging in any "real" academic debate.

China backing Hun Sen to put Thailand down is a conspiracy that make the Finland Plan seem reasonable

Hopefully people will contiunue to put up there own opnions, ideas and analysis undeterred by the anti freedom of speech "you cant say anything unless you back it up with linkies" nazis.

Quite why the excesses of the Thai authorities in the past would be deemed by any rational person as excusing the excesses of the Hun Sen regime or his Khmer Rouge background is beyond me. These are well documented and Im sure people on here are quite capable of researching for themselves if they want to or doubt what is put up.

I agree, although it seems to be a standard response in the TV news section for just about any political topic: "Well the other lot did it so.....", or "Well they did it first so.....". It's quite childish in my opinion.

I took up Mr. Paranoids challenge. I read all the links that he cited. Here is what I found.

1) None of the links deal with the supposed atrocities of Thais committed against Cambodians, as he claims.

2) While some of these may very well be true, and very tragic, they don't do anything to dispel the argument that Hun Sen has blood on his hands.

3) Actually several of the articles do reference Hun Sen's - as being the leader of a regime full of violence and savagery.

4) Two of the links are actually the same article, on different sites. That tells me he didn't read the articles before posting them.

I would take anything MrParanoid backs up with "Sources" with a grain of salt. Makes you wonder why he is defending Hun Sen in the first place.

Just about all the links deal with atrocities of Thais commited against Cambodians or Vietnamese or other people. Secondly I never said Hun Sen didn't have blood on his hands, I actually posted links to show he did. My point was he is not Pol Pot. And I never tried to defend him, just point out that if people are going to post bullshit or lies, add a link or two or come up with a theory with some kind of root in reality for why you claim your lies or opinions are true or justifiable.. And yes, two of the links are the same John Pilger article posted on two different web site so I must have pasted one link wrong, here is the right one:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/200...n-thailand.html

Edited by Scott
Flaming comments deleted/Scott

One post has been edited, to remove flaming comments. Two others responding to the flames have been deleted.

People have the right to their opinion and having an opinion does not constitute mental retardation. It doesn't eliminate it either.

Please stick to the topic and treat others with a modicum of respect. Feel free to disagree with the poster, but don't flame others and don't encourage flaming.

People have the right to their opinion and having an opinion does not constitute mental retardation. It doesn't eliminate it either.

Your last sentence is a completely unnecessary thing to state and an obvious insinuation that contradicts what you were asking of others concerning flaming and respecting.

Nobody who contributes to this forum is mentally retarded and any suggestion otherwise is immature and sad.

Thankfully this isnt a lame academic site where everything you say has to be backed by so called primary sourcerd material, which is probably just as well consdidering those that obsess over this kind of thing usually resort to secondary sourcing anyway;) Thankfully TV remains a site where people can post opinions and discuss things from their own perspective. Im sure there are plenty of other sites out there where those academically inclined can discuss thing son a "higher" plane than us mere mortals and as usual with academics get it as wrong as everyone else. However, I would suggest to those obsessed weith little linkies to get a little more practice in on referencing priamry sources or validated research before indulging in any "real" academic debate.

China backing Hun Sen to put Thailand down is a conspiracy that make the Finland Plan seem reasonable

Hopefully people will contiunue to put up there own opnions, ideas and analysis undeterred by the anti freedom of speech "you cant say anything unless you back it up with linkies" nazis.

"Up to a point, Lord Copper". (Secondary reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoop_%28novel%29; primary reference - the novel "Scoop" by Evelyn Waugh). :)

I'm all for opinions - the more (and the more varied) the better. I just like to know that that's what they are rather than them posing as statements of established fact. Certainly, just saying "so-and-so's a professor/newspaper editor/celebrity and HE thinks the same way I do" doesn't cut much mustard with me. On the other hand, I still like to see a reasonably reliable source cited to support at least some of the wilder claims one sees here. Do I qualify as an inadvertent nazi then?

Cambodian PM denies interfering with Khmer Rouge court

PHNOM PENH : Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday denied interfering with the UN-backed Khmer Rouge court, but repeated warnings that pursuing more suspects from the 1970s regime could spark civil war.

"I am not interfering with the court. But it is not the court that stopped the war. Be careful -- the court will create war, causing division of society again," Hun Sen said in a speech in the capital Phnom Penh.

The premier made his remarks days after lawyers for a former Khmer Rouge leader demanded that investigators at the war crimes tribunal question Hun Sen and government officials over alleged interference.

"Again and again, I see they want to question (more people). Be careful, this is the issue of death," Hun Sen said during a ceremony to mark the international Day of Disabled People.

Hun Sen went on to repeat warnings that he would rather see the court fail than expand prosecutions beyond the five former Khmer Rouge leaders currently detained for their roles in the regime which killed up to two million people.

Final arguments in the court's first trial, of prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch, concluded last week.

The court plans to prosecute former Khmer Rouge ideologue Nuon Chea, head of state Khieu Samphan, foreign minister Ieng Sary and his wife, minister of social affairs Ieng Thirith sometime in 2011.

"Let's try these few senior leaders," the premier said.

"No more, I am sorry. I tell you that I would prefer the court to fail. But I will not let war happen. If it fails, let it fail."

He went on to blast foreign nations for not "daring to talk about the prosecution of the Khmer Rouge" when they were still a strong communist movement.

The tribunal was created in 2006 to try leading Khmer Rouge members, and is holding five former leaders on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity. It has not yet ruled whether to prosecute additional suspects.

The process has often been hit by allegations that Hun Sen's administration has attempted to interfere in the tribunal to protect former regime members who are now in government.

The Khmer Rouge were ousted by Vietnamese-led forces in 1979 after nearly four years of iron-fisted rule, but continued to fight a civil war until 1998. Hun Sen was a former Khmer Rouge guerrilla who defected in 1977.

- AFP

Now, Which Is the Most Difficult Guy to Deal with?

Cambodian PM denies interfering with Khmer Rouge court

PHNOM PENH : Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday denied interfering with the UN-backed Khmer Rouge court, but repeated warnings that pursuing more suspects from the 1970s regime could spark civil war.

"I am not interfering with the court. But it is not the court that stopped the war. Be careful -- the court will create war, causing division of society again," Hun Sen said in a speech in the capital Phnom Penh.

The premier made his remarks days after lawyers for a former Khmer Rouge leader demanded that investigators at the war crimes tribunal question Hun Sen and government officials over alleged interference.

"Again and again, I see they want to question (more people). Be careful, this is the issue of death," Hun Sen said during a ceremony to mark the international Day of Disabled People.

Hun Sen went on to repeat warnings that he would rather see the court fail than expand prosecutions beyond the five former Khmer Rouge leaders currently detained for their roles in the regime which killed up to two million people.

Final arguments in the court's first trial, of prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch, concluded last week.

The court plans to prosecute former Khmer Rouge ideologue Nuon Chea, head of state Khieu Samphan, foreign minister Ieng Sary and his wife, minister of social affairs Ieng Thirith sometime in 2011.

"Let's try these few senior leaders," the premier said.

"No more, I am sorry. I tell you that I would prefer the court to fail. But I will not let war happen. If it fails, let it fail."

He went on to blast foreign nations for not "daring to talk about the prosecution of the Khmer Rouge" when they were still a strong communist movement.

The tribunal was created in 2006 to try leading Khmer Rouge members, and is holding five former leaders on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity. It has not yet ruled whether to prosecute additional suspects.

The process has often been hit by allegations that Hun Sen's administration has attempted to interfere in the tribunal to protect former regime members who are now in government.

The Khmer Rouge were ousted by Vietnamese-led forces in 1979 after nearly four years of iron-fisted rule, but continued to fight a civil war until 1998. Hun Sen was a former Khmer Rouge guerrilla who defected in 1977.

- AFP

Now, Which Is the Most Difficult Guy to Deal with?

Now, this is the most extraordinary difficult question to answer, that early in the day!

Hang on i'll get the abacus...

Your last sentence is a completely unnecessary thing to state and an obvious insinuation that contradicts what you were asking of others concerning flaming and respecting.

Nobody who contributes to this forum is mentally retarded and any suggestion otherwise is immature and sad.

You might want to tread with care. The above admonishment is to posters whose posts were deleted and/or edited. References to immature and sad aren't going to cut it either. That's not much better than references to being mentally retarded.

14cw9j6.jpg

Links:

Excellent post.

I notice some posters still denying the Preah Vihear Massacre committed by Thai troops that you linked to. The Thais have done well in erasing that period from the history books.

Hun Sen is a a Khmer Rouge death merchant

As are the Thai special forces units that fought and worked with the Khmer Rouge attacking Vietnamese troops along the border and in the Western regions of Cambodia all through the 80's and into the 90's.

As is the Thai special forces unit that was assigned as Pol Pot's personal bodyguards while he was living at his safe haven in Trat Province.

As is the Thai army which is partly responsible for the huge proliferation of land mines along the border areas, making the Western area of Cambodia the most heavily mined area in Asia.

As are the Thai military personnel that were involved in the Preah Vihear Massacre where thousands of Cambodian civilians fleeing the Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge were slaughtered, raped and robbed.

Etc, etc, etc.

I would love to know where you got this information. My in-law family lives in Trat, but I never heard anything like that.

In particular, can you give me your source for:

- Thai special forces assigned to Pol Pot

- Land mines put by Thai forces in Cambodia

Thanks

Thai Special Forces Unit 838 was Pol Pot's personal bodyguard during his time in Trat.

The Western area of Cambodia and border was heavily mined by all sides involved in conflicts during that era, the Thai Army was certainly no exception.

Forget it man, this cats someone who sings the red flag and hates capitalism.

I think if anything the border guys helping Pol Pot were guerrilla insurgents and not thai sf troops.

No, I just know my history. See above.

For goodness sakes, if you really want to have a discussion about Thailand's involvement in the Khmer Rouge atrocities then open another thread.

This thread is about the relationship between Hun Sen and and Abhisit, the latter of whom would have had no hand in what happened whatsoever. Topics being sabotaged and de-railed by those wishing to press their own agenda often make this section not worth reading.

For goodness sakes, if you really want to have a discussion about Thailand's involvement in the Khmer Rouge atrocities then open another thread.

It is called education Moonrakers. Staying informed. I didn't want to have a discussion on this topic, nor to sidetrack, but it seems some posters are in complete denial of Thai history during this period, but are happy to accuse and denounce Hun Sen, while not in possession of all the facts, or any, for that matter.

This is an interesting article from 1993.

"Although Pol Pot is now reported by intelligence officials to divide his time among camps in western Cambodia, the 65-year-old rebel leader is believed to enjoy an open invitation to visit Thailand, where he lived for several years after he fled from the invading Vietnamese Army in 1979.

The Thais provided him with a compound, known by the Khmer Rouge as Camp 87, near the eastern Thai border town of Trat."

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/19/world/po...?pagewanted=all