Where's Your Favourite Coffee Shop?

Scrubber

I was at a loose end on Sunday afternoon so decided to go for a drive out to Mae Rim and came across the Wawee coffee shop just past the Four Seasons resort. It had pleasant seating areas both outside and upstairs inside. I usually go to veg out upstairs at Mo'C Mo'L coffee shop, but was happy to find this alternative spot.

Can anyone else recommend a good coffee place in or around Chiangers to kill a few hours on a Sunday afternoon (or any other day for that matter)???

For ambiance and comfort, there are a couple of places, but for actual coffee, no.

I like the lobby of Chiangmai Orchid. The coffee's acceptable, the cakes aren't bad. But not worth the trip unless I'm already in the area.

Nowadays, I sometimes choose places that serve the gawdawful Thai coffee because at least it isn't bland. Coffee with Kraphaw Gai on rice. You might gag, but at least you'll feel alive.

donnyboy.

re ... might be a different story if coyote girls served coffee

if that happens send me the name of the place and some directions and ill start drinking coffee.

the idea should be put to all coffee shop and bar owners in chiang mai coz it would brighten up all the dead or dieing places

enjoy pic ... dave2

ps ... they have coyote dancers ( or sort of ? ) at the magic club opposite thapae gate after 11 pm some nights ?

i love a good coffee in the morning, hence having a espresso machine, at 10,000 baht, it wasnt cheap, but it has saved me a fortune in the long run as i dont need to venture into any coffee houses these days..........and the lovely coffee aroma is unbeatable.....mmmmmmmmmmm

ps ... they have coyote dancers ( or sort of ? ) at the magic club opposite thapae gate after 11 pm some nights ?

Very pretty too, but it's a "no action" club. It would be "magic" to get me to go there more than once. Why be tortured with desire with no happy ending? Spotlight is two minutes away and it is pretty much a sure thing. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

dave,

thought that might get you converted :)

coffee culture hasnt really taken off in Thailand apart from a few places

in NZ, we have seen it take off in the last decade, with plenty of Starbucks, Esquires, and others littered across the cities like 7-11 in Thailand

Very pretty too, but it's a "no action" club. It would be "magic" to get me to go there more than once. Why be tortured with desire with no happy ending? Spotlight is two minutes away and it is pretty much a sure thing. :)

is that a single shot, or double, with no full cream? Coffees i mean :D

^ might be a different story if coyote girls served coffee :)

Hmm ..having my drink spilled by really awful dancers, whilst being surrounded by a lot men drooling over girls less than half their age. Tbh that isnt really my cup of coffee. :D

donnyboy.

re ... might be a different story if coyote girls served coffee

if that happens send me the name of the place and some directions and ill start drinking coffee.

the idea should be put to all coffee shop and bar owners in chiang mai coz it would brighten up all the dead or dieing places

enjoy pic ... dave2

Ehm, that's STH.

What/where is 'the magic club' opposite Thapae Gate?? And how is their coffee? I'll tell you one thing, the coffee at Spotlight is VERY reasonable for such an estblishment.. they have one of those Boncafe full auto espresso machines.

:) I believe there are about 1 dozen WAA WEE shops in and around C/M now and there coffee is as good as you can get in Thailand,and i mean real good! also is ,i believe local grown, so support them as i do..Starbucks and Black Canyon nowhere near the flavour or ambiance of W/Wee. Another goodie is Doi Chang..one that i frequent is near night bazaar, and [if you do a visa run to Mae Sai] they have one on the way up on the left..a large open walled straw roofed place, near their coffee plantations, i was told..Enjoy..

Rajadamnoen Coffee on Nimman soi 11 or 13 has a nice indoor/outdoor seating area. Wawee Nimman Soi 9 has a nice back garden for chilling out. Ketawa in the soi behind the gas station near Wat Gate is a nice quiet spot with good seating. There used to be a nice little coffee shop adjacent to DK Books but I haven't been for a few years and don't know if it is still there.

I am probably the only farang who likes this stuff but I really like Thai coffee, especially the kafae boran this old guy makes at vegetable market at meechok plaza. I also like Coffee Home shop in sansai, near Maejo University.

Come on... After they load up the several hour old coffee with powders and canned sweeteners, it's not really coffee anymore. Most Thais won't drink the stuff.

I am probably the only farang who likes this stuff but I really like Thai coffee, especially the kafae boran this old guy makes at vegetable market at meechok plaza. I also like Coffee Home shop in sansai, near Maejo University.

Come on... After they load up the several hour old coffee with powders and canned sweeteners, it's not really coffee anymore. Most Thais won't drink the stuff.

Quite right, it isn't coffee, but it's definitely something. A lot of Thais do drink the stuff, and not a few farangs, I've seen. I wouldn't advise drinking it regularly, cause it's gotta put a hole in your stomach, or something. But very occasionally, like a plate of vindaloo, it hits the spot for me.

Rajadamnoen Coffee on Nimman soi 11 or 13 has a nice indoor/outdoor seating area. Wawee Nimman Soi 9 has a nice back garden for chilling out. Ketawa in the soi behind the gas station near Wat Gate is a nice quiet spot with good seating. There used to be a nice little coffee shop adjacent to DK Books but I haven't been for a few years and don't know if it is still there.

Thanks for the suggestions Puwa :) and congrats to being one of the few who actually answered my OP!