2 Baht Gold

iancnx

In Thailand we go by weight which is measured in Baht, so 1 baht of gold is at the monument 18,750 baht. So 2 baht of gold would cost you 37,500 Baht (currency) Google for conversion

Brilliant - thank you

And 1 baht gold being 15,16 gram or 0,482 troy ounces if you wish.

........ and in terms of quality, or actual gold content, "Thai gold" officialy should hover around 96,5%. This is 23karat - but be cautious: multiple test purchases over the last 10years or so have repeatedly found as much as 86,5% of gold jewelry described to buyers as been "Thai Gold" or "23karat", which has such should contain a min of 96,5% gold, has been found to contain as little as 90% - 92%, and in around 10% of cases, to contain as little as 85% - 89% gold!!

.......... do the words Caveat Emptor sound appropriate!?

........ and in terms of quality, or actual gold content, "Thai gold" officialy should hover around 96,5%. This is 23karat - but be cautious: multiple test purchases over the last 10years or so have repeatedly found as much as 86,5% of gold jewelry described to buyers as been "Thai Gold" or "23karat", which has such should contain a min of 96,5% gold, has been found to contain as little as 90% - 92%, and in around 10% of cases, to contain as little as 85% - 89% gold!!

So how does the buyer beware? I've bought and sold a little gold over the years and will probably continue to do so. I usually use the same shop,which appreciates my custom but I'm open to any advice on guaranteeing quality.

So how does the buyer beware? I've bought and sold a little gold over the years and will probably continue to do so. I usually use the same shop,which appreciates my custom but I'm open to any advice on guaranteeing quality.

How to test the gold without destroying it? Buy it in one shop then take it to a different shop for checking. Almost always you will find it is worth a lot less than you paid for it......

How to test the gold before wasting your money? Now there's the real trick....

Does jumping out of the bath buck naked and running through the street yelling "Eureka! I have found it" ring any bells?

How to test the gold without destroying it? Buy it in one shop then take it to a different shop for checking. Almost always you will find it is worth a lot less than you paid for it......

They don't waste it. They use a flame test.

It's not actually worth a lot less at a different shop. They tend to offer a little less, but hardly a lot less, and that's only to ensure return business at their own shop. A good gold dealer can easily test its purity, which kinda makes sense, doesn't it?

Edited by tropo

You have some personal experience in this? Both my wife and myself have sold gold in the last few years and received the price indicated on the sign with out any problem.

Testing for gold content

- quite easy actually: you need a small flat piece of slate (black slate - best), a small bottle of nitric acid with a "dropper" - and last you need a small piece of reference gold i.e. a sample containing a verified 96,5% pure gold.

1) rub the known sample on the slate plate to get a small area with a thin layer of deposited gold.

2) a couple inches long side take the piece of Thai Gold jellewry and rub it on the slate as well.

3) apply a drop of nitric acid to each sample - observe colour change:

- If the purchased Thai gold and the reference gold turn the same colour thats good enough confirmation - it has the same amount of gold in it

- if the purchased Thai gold turns a darker colour compared to the reference, the gold content is lower/less

- if the purchased Thai gold turns a lighter colour compared to the reference - smile, say thank you and leave (you got more gold than you paid for!).

What turns the solution darker? - dissolving/dissolved base metals - any base metals, but copper and silver are most popular (pure gold is resistant to nitric acid) - the more base metal, the darker the solution.

if you do not have the requireds bits 'n pieces to test yourself, obviously testing in the shop you are buying from is a bit of a no-brainer, but if youre concerned ask the seller to give you written confirmation of gold content - and if you then want to get a NDT undertaken in another shop, by all means do so - and nearly all goldshops can conduct a "non-destructive test" on the spot - they do it every time I take in small gold bars purchased from Dubai duty free (dont think you can make money like this easily - yes, if you'd purchased gold at Dubai duty free say 6months or a year a ago, and you were selling it now to a dealer in China Town, you'd be doing quite nicely, but buy on your way out to Thailand on holiday, with the intention of selling the next day in Bangkok on arrival - nope, not likely unless there was a big shift in the gold price overnight)

As to what you do if it turns out that 96.5% Thai gold bracelet you purchased for your T'raak, turns out to contain only 92% gold - I don;t quite know - it would be like trying to resolve any other dispute under the trade "description of goods" act ....... my guess is it would not be easily resolved. You probably land up having to enter into some legal wrangling, the cost of which would negate any difference been claimed. In reality I wouldn;t have though there would be much you could do.

Edited by Maizefarmer

One con they admit to is asking for full price based on 96/98% gold and then saying it is less when you want to sell it.

that applies to jewelry only, not to goldbars. jewelry should be bought to adore the neck, the wrists, the ears and then fingers of a lady, not be sold! :)