Best Bang For Your Buck Hothatch/sports Car

crs

prime candidate for the v8, the coupe bmw 80's,

they are light as hel_l for a bemer,

and they are renouned for alot of time attacks and circuit racing.

you paid a good price for the car/engine/seats,

what do you plan to do to the 1uz?

i do have many parts coming from the states

ex. forged cp pistons, forged connecting rods, cosmetic gaskets, acl race bearings, arp bolts etc etc...

if you want any advice or parts just let me know,

even if you want to run a standalone unit, our workshop tuner custom makes the harness for using a hks vpro standalone.

have you decided to go NA? or the single/twin turbo? or supercharge?

we also are making custom jun intake manifold for it, and a large 90mm throttle body from a modified VG30.

720cc injectors of the rb26, and even 2jzgte valve springs....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taking on a new project something very unqiue.

1uzfe (Toyota 4000cc v8) from lexus sc400,

supra 5speed manual gearbox,

twin plate clutch,

Custom CP forged pistons-rings-pins-locks compression ratio 9:0,

Forged custom H-beam connecting rods,

Acl race series bearings,

Arp race series bolts,

cosmetic performance 1mm thicker lower compression ratio metal gaskets,

MSD twin ignition,

8x 720cc injectors,

no.8 iridium ngk sparkplugs,

twin walbro fuel pumps or bosch 044x2 pumps,

turbosmart large fuel regulator adjustable,

Performance timing belt,

90mm custom throttle body,

twin high performance fuel rails,

custom stainless turbo headers- twin turbo,

twin turbochargers 16's (rated at 370whp each) or twin 20gs (at 450hp each),

3.5" twin exhaust,

custom turbo downpipe,

HKS fcon vpro standalone ecu,

custom wiring harness,

turbosmart 38mm TWIN external wastegate,

Profec B greddy spec 2 electronic boost controller (switching low and high boost) with remote,

custom intercooler pipe kit,

custom JUN intake manifold,

performance figures target,

low boost 0.8bar 500RWHP,

high boost 1.4bar 700RWHP,

street use daily driver!

:) it will be hel_l fun in the triton!

a ferrari eater on the straights!

Edited by philipm

Hi Philip,

You can run the 1st generation (89-94) 1UZ at moderate boost on stock internals........the '95-'97 (2nd gen) engine is weaker (lighter internals) and will eventually break under boost, but makes approx 10% more power due to more aggressive cam profiles etc. I have used the 2nd generation engine in this BMW and will be keeping it N/A, mainly because of the reliability/cost factor. If you are changing rods etc then you should have no problems. Loads of great advice/tech help at lextreme.com

I still have the Toyota 1JZ-GTE from the BMW if anyone is interested..........engine and box very strong but there is a leaking oil seal on one of the CT12A turbochargers so it blows a bit of smoke when thrashed.

Not sure that high spec in a pick up is the best idea though :)

Oh, and make sure you use the R154 supra gearbox, not the W58.

Cheers

post-6819-1268290911_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1268291022_thumb.jpg

Edited by INTJ

:)

i would have prefered to fit it to a coupe bmw 80's series,

but i am not willing to cough up for the car.

as the engine build is costing me enough to buy the car easily... :D

then again i will have two engines, my highly moded diesel 4m41, and my highly moded 1uz,

so it will be easy to swap the engine accordingly. and if the time comes that i get the car i want for it,

it will be a simple swap and i dont loose an engine/gearbox. and can always fit the diesel back in :D

fitting the 1uz to a 2tonner will not be as much fun as a light 1toner but will still give huge performance.

best thing of all, is the chassis of the 4x4 is extreamly strong, with no modifications needed to the drive shaft, axels and so on.

i wouldnt trust a car chassis to handle in excess of 500-700hp which isnt built to handle that sort of power without snapping something, so a budget is also needed

to support the car chassis and handling components to make it reliable and useable without killing some one on the road when the throttle goes down :D

you might recall a cefiro on the drag strip killing over 10 people, because his engine was built above 500hp and it snapped the axel and then hel_l went loose.

if you play with power, you have to mod the smart way, in the end of the day, a life is worth more than a few hundred k, or atleast my life haha.

Edited by philipm

Warpspeed, as I said, I'm not interested in any p*ssing contests with you, or gauntlets, or races or whatever. I have nothing to prove to anybody, it's not my style.....however you are obviously a motoring enthusiast like myself, and even though you called my car a b'stard which was way below the belt, I shall refrain from bickering with you in the future :)

I think a TV Bira track day is a great idea.

Maybe better to take this to the hot hatch thread ?

Cheers

Ok so now over here from the other tread I think your memory is self serving, first off I referred to your project as a "bastardized" version not a "bastard" which is not a low blow it is a fact, semantics I know but hey that's what began this tit for tat along with your uncalled for condescending and belittling tone about my car, accomplishments and skills, if you're going to go down that path as you did without any provocation then you should have the balls to follow through and not talk rubbish from behind a key board..

You have now told me in response along with everyone else that you're nothing but full of bluster so that's as far as I need to take it, point made.. If you'll respect that my experience and accomplishments are not to be made light of in such a disrespectful and dismissive tone then we can agree to move on, otherwise I have zero respect for you from this point on as you talk the talk, but don't walk the walk....

On one last point on the topic; When you talk out of your backside in demeaning tones and call someones qualifications and accomplishments into question then YOU most certainly do have something to prove..

I would like to organize some type of track day at Bira or even the kart track next door but many of the rental karts there are not up to my spec. I have to rent from one of the teams instead if one is around and usually they are, actually have a card from a French guy there that owns a few competition level karts he leases.. I'm really not in a position to go out and run my car too hard either myself as it's not in any way track ready, but that is how far I'm willing to go to back myself and my claims.

"your project has really inspired me with a little work and imagination i will be able to drive a car i like for sensible money when i move to thailand, best of luck with it, hope u have it running soon."

Thanks, this project will come in at almost half of that 500K amount mentioned above and will be a 1050kg car with a V8 and approx 280BHP through the rear wheels, and it is a BMW coupe. I am building this car exactly to find the best "bang for my baht".

I picked up the donor car, a very straight 1985 BMW E30 2 door off racingweb.net. It already had many expensive modifications that I would need to do (brakes, rear diff, wheels, suspension) plus I liked the colour and the MTEC bodykit. Plus it had a Toyota twin turbo engine but with an autobox. I paid 145K for the car, and so far have spent probably another 80 on V8 engine, manual box, clutch, bellhousing, exhausts and fabrication work. But I reckon to finish around 300K (the devil/expense is in the detail), so for me that is very good value and a much nicer car than an old civic with a 2 stroke style engine. Oh, and I got these nice Recaros in the deal !

There is nothing better than the "blubbering V8 sound" Nice car!! Have fun.

Holy crap it's 2 door too! And it has M badges on it??? Where was this car when I was looking just a few weeks ago! You're quite the troll INTJ I was happy with what I had until now :D ....... I wish they would have better pictures though I really need to see the engine and interior...

*addendum* Initially I got over-excited as I see now it says "M3 Kit" but is that just a few badges I wonder? Or is it an entire M3 performance package including interior accents and performance bits? At least they mentioned it was a kit and not like some that have plastic Brembo brake covers on their stock brake calipers and never tell you, b'stards...Looks good in the picture until you get there :D ..... It's a few years older then I thought too, and 6 years older then my current car but it even seems to have updated headlights. It also has very little description of features including performance sadly such as type of transmission for example :) ...

Crap it's Phuket too, a bit too far to go for a casual once over...

Come to think of it I'm scratching my head now as he doe say "kit" and that makes me wonder if that's just his way of describing that package and he's using the wrong terminology or what??

I always find it entertaining when they forget they have 2 license plates and only photo shop or blank out one... :D

Edited by WarpSpeed

I would suspect that it is actually a 316 or 318i with some variation of the M-Tec bodykit - (I think the original M3 had a wider body than the standard car and I've never seen actually seen a kit for sale here :) ), with an M20B25 2.5 engine honed in - there are only a handful of original E30 325i's (they are mostly 4 cylinder models here) - I think an original 4 door 325i would command a much higher price than 140K.

Still, looks like decent car for the money

I would suspect that it is actually a 316 or 318i with some variation of the M-Tec bodykit - (I think the original M3 had a wider body than the standard car and I've never seen actually seen a kit for sale here :D ), with an M20B25 2.5 engine honed in - there are only a handful of original E30 325i's (they are mostly 4 cylinder models here) - I think an original 4 door 325i would command a much higher price than 140K.

All of those E30 M badged 3's were IL4 but the base 2.3 with a cat still had 195hp stock, that's more then enough fun for here..

You're right about the wide body fenders and yes the M-tec skirts front splitter type fascia the only body panels the standard 3's shared with the real M3's was the hood and the trunk but still it is possible to have a fairly comprehensive performance package under the skin and that's what I understood was offered in this region was a stripped down sported version just like various other packages for the market...But I doubt it's a a16 or 318 don't you? It has 325I badges, that would be real crap if even those badges were fakes...

Maybe the guy just needs to liquidate it quickly, if so he will do that for certain and it won't be me either :) had a 325I coupe a few years ago back home and it was a very powerful and sporty car to drive and it wasn't the more sporty IS version.

I would suspect that it is actually a 316 or 318i with some variation of the M-Tec bodykit - (I think the original M3 had a wider body than the standard car and I've never seen actually seen a kit for sale here :D ), with an M20B25 2.5 engine honed in - there are only a handful of original E30 325i's (they are mostly 4 cylinder models here) - I think an original 4 door 325i would command a much higher price than 140K.

All of those E30 M badged 3's were IL4 but the base 2.3 with a cat still had 195hp stock, that's more then enough fun for here..

You're right about the wide body fenders and yes the M-tec skirts front splitter type fascia the only body panels the standard 3's shared with the real M3's was the hood and the trunk but still it is possible to have a fairly comprehensive performance package under the skin and that's what I understood was offered in this region was a stripped down sported version just like various other packages for the market...But I doubt it's a a16 or 318 don't you? It has 325I badges, that would be real crap if even those badges were fakes...

Maybe the guy just needs to liquidate it quickly, if so he will do that for certain and it won't be me either :) had a 325I coupe a few years ago back home and it was a very powerful and sporty car to drive and it wasn't the more sporty IS version.

Never saw a 325 of this model in Thailand. I guess it have a 2.5 liter Toyota 1JZ in this car, but actually a good engine. Call for details! 140'k it's ok if the car has automatic and power steering. Be careful as many 316 in this time didn't had power steering. Would be hard to drive without.

Never saw a 325 of this model in Thailand. I guess it have a 2.5 liter Toyota 1JZ in this car, but actually a good engine. Call for details! 140'k it's ok if the car has automatic and power steering. Be careful as many 316 in this time didn't had power steering. Would be hard to drive without.

But it has a BMW 325I badge? Actually I wouldn't want it if it had an auto and moreover it would definitely not be an M3 package then, they didn't offer it in auto trim and if it had a toy engine then I would definitely not be interested...But at least then I wouldn't feel badly about missing out, I might just give them a call or drop an email just for that purpose..

Edited by WarpSpeed

^Sounds great but it's impressive that the 2.8 was closing at top end once the turbo spooled up and the race was just getting interesting when they lifted as I feel the 2.8 would have been much lighter, nimble and better balanced through the turns if set up properly with the right driver so a good compromise in package..

I'm not sure about the rolling start either, besides a turbo lag who determined when it was time to go? To me it looked like the V10 got a jump, if the 2.8 was midline in the RPM's and wrong gear he would have no chance until he began to build boost and that's what I see...

He got a jump again but that was still a smoking by any measure. Quite pitiful performance from the V8 something is obviously not being mentioned here, I also don't see any shifting going on, I would love to see a V10 with a manual and also a manual against the V10 I wish there was some description of the packages involved, it seems like maybe there was a manual in the 2.8 based on it's response but hard to tell for certain..

Edited by WarpSpeed

"Quite pitiful performance from the V8"

Porsche 911GT3 RS is a flat 6 producing 410BHP, weighing 1375kg (only available with manual gearbox). I think the E30 with V10 makes 500+BHP, weighing 1100kg. Thats why the porker got properly smoked.

Cheers

Actually I had overlooked the fact that it was a Porsche thinking it was another bimmer only in V8 trim even more underscores the driver is crap as he's not even close to redline on shifting it is so quiet & smooth it is like an automatic transmission, you can hardly even hear the famed Porsche exhaust growl even once the Bimmer is well out of earshot.. Yeah checking it again he's not even speed shifting, he's terrible, very amateur and his hand position on the wheel with one on the shifter is what I was talking about not being proper style steering/shifting..

It wouldn't have made a huge difference but it would have been more respectable then that was..

I'll tell you what if we ever get a chance to meet in person I can show you some in car vids from my car at Daytona in which this is graphically illustrated on track where my car is passed by much faster straight line cars who have more power some in higher classes and some in my own and how I eat up their distance advantage some times as much as 20 or so car lengths in just one corner or sometimes 2 under braking. Partly due to the fact that I don't need to slow as much as they do being better handling through the corners and partly due to the lines and braking points I use it is most dramatic at Daytona..