Racing Tracks Everywhere

manarak

I looked at satellite photos of the East Pattaya area on google, and there are racing tracks everywhere!

They are located in fields which are apparently not used for growing anything. I counted more than 20.

What's up with that?

There are only the Pattaya Speedway and the Quad Bike and off-road circuits arent there? There was another Kart circuit in Thepprasit which was newer than the Speedway but closed down, maybe the track is still there.

Thats only 4 though...

track at the end of walking street isnt on gmaps yet. but its there.

there's bira out by the highway, that's a full circuit and kart track. very nice kart track.

Thepprasit used to have a track right on the main road which is now shophouses, in a bit from Thepprasit there's a couple of very small tracks not worth using.

there's another next to mini siam / maccas on sukhumvit, small average track, with some quite old karts that need better maintenance.

that's about all the main kart tracks i know of, there's HEAPS of dirt tracks (circuits) around that aren't anything official. just some thai's with trail bikes having some fun.

there's HEAPS of dirt tracks (circuits) around that aren't anything official. just some thai's with trail bikes having some fun.

exactly - the sheer number of them had me thinking.

are there really so much thais who like racing through the fields?

Edited by manarak

track at the end of walking street isnt on gmaps yet. but its there.

there's bira out by the highway, that's a full circuit and kart track. very nice kart track.

Thepprasit used to have a track right on the main road which is now shophouses, in a bit from Thepprasit there's a couple of very small tracks not worth using.

there's another next to mini siam / maccas on sukhumvit, small average track, with some quite old karts that need better maintenance.

that's about all the main kart tracks i know of, there's HEAPS of dirt tracks (circuits) around that aren't anything official. just some thai's with trail bikes having some fun.

Correct I had forgotten about the Mini-Siam one.

As a Kart owner/racer I can say the only proper track in town is the one called the Pattaya Speedway on Thepprassit. This is not one of the "couple of very small tracks". Its a professional track which has been running since before I started karting 22 years ago.

The new track at Bali Hai is a total rip-off. The other tracks only have slow 4-stroke Karts much as you would find in Western holiday locations. The Speedway has proper formula 2-stroke karts, the real thing.

The out of town Bira circuit track is a proper circuit but not sure of the situation regards hire karts there.

Edited by andyww

The out of town Bira circuit track is a proper circuit but not sure of the situation regards hire karts there.

It's owned by the same group as the Bali Hai track, although being aimed at the more serious drivers.

They have the same 4 stroke powered slower karts along with the proper 2-stroke, Rotax powered fast karts. The latter are expensive though at 1000 Baht/session, which lasts officially 10 minutes, but practically more like 13 minutes.

For the enthusiasts you can buy a 1 year membership for 2000 Baht, after which the hire price for the fast karts drops by half to 500 Baht.

Meaning 4 sessions and you're at break even point!

It's owned by the same group as the Bali Hai track, although being aimed at the more serious drivers.

They have the same 4 stroke powered slower karts along with the proper 2-stroke, Rotax powered fast karts. The latter are expensive though at 1000 Baht/session, which lasts officially 10 minutes, but practically more like 13 minutes.

For the enthusiasts you can buy a 1 year membership for 2000 Baht, after which the hire price for the fast karts drops by half to 500 Baht.

thanks for pointing that out, wasn't aware of it. The 4-strokes bore the death out of me, yes, you can hone your skiles and so on, but when I drive go-kart I give a rat's arse about skills, I need the high-rev engine sound, speed and some equally bad skilled buddies to race with. :)

The bira kart track is great, I also like the one in Thepprasit Soi 9 - because oif the 2-strokes.

thanks for pointing that out, wasn't aware of it. The 4-strokes bore the death out of me, yes, you can hone your skiles and so on, but when I drive go-kart I give a rat's arse about skills, I need the high-rev engine sound, speed and some equally bad skilled buddies to race with. :)

The bira kart track is great, I also like the one in Thepprasit Soi 9 - because oif the 2-strokes.

I often wonder if Pattaya is the only place in the world where you can walk in and hire real 2-stroke Karts. I dont know of anywhere in the UK although there are masses of 4-stroke places which have karts so slow its a struggle to stay awake..

Never come across any other resort in Europe which has 2-strokes.

I think in most places letting novices loose on 60 MPH Karts would be considered too dangerous but this is Thailand where danger doesnt exist.

I have had some great times on the Thepprasit track over the years including some spectacular moments like when a steering linkage snapped and I ended up in the next field. Also went into the pond once...

One problem is the karts are so hacked about that when they are driven at full speed by a practised driver things start to break and fall off.

I have had some great times on the Thepprasit track over the years including some spectacular moments like when a steering linkage snapped and I ended up in the next field. Also went into the pond once...

also had a broken steering once and took some involuntary swimming lessons :)

Broke one as well a few times!

Good part is, they come over to you with a menacing look saying "now you have to pay" (if the damage is your own fault of course), you wait with apprehension for the cost and then they com back with "900 Baht!" :)

The majority of tracks in Australia run ONLY two stroke carts 100cc yamaha J and S, and 125cc IAME / Rotax... chassis vary from the cheapish sq chinese to sodikart rental chassis with the 125 bolted on (same as bira).

one thing i miss about australia, proper tracks and karts everywhere, none of this tourist 4 stroke stuff.

some of the tracks also allow you to rent race spec karts, properly tuned as well - but you need to set consistent lap times to qualify and also pay a much higher rate.

good times.

i'm no fan of the theppresit track, right left right left right left right straight. too short and boring, bira's nice, some hairpins, chicanes, wide long turns, S bends, and varying track layouts. nice change of pace. one of the few things i say thailand has built right.