Pattaya annual property tax for houses

Guderian

Before Covid, I was paying 7,500 Baht/year. During Covid, like everyone else, I benefitted nicely from the large (almost 100%) discounts. Last year, as far as I'm aware, the tax should have been back to normal, but they never sent me a bill. I assumed they'd simply double-charge me this year, but the bill has just arrived and there's no extra charge for the 2023 tax. Even more surprisingly, they're only asking around 10% of what I was paying before Covid for the 2024 tax. I'm definitely not complaining, anyway, but I'm wondering if there's been a major reduction in the annual property tax in Pattaya City? Has anyone else with a house noticed the same thing?

Posted (edited)

First off, the fee has always been 0.02% of their calculated property value. With you saying your tax is 7,500 baht that means a property value of 37.5 million baht?

I was never charged anything before 2020 (had Condo since 2009), I had significantly reduced fees 2021/22 (less than 100 baht) and had full fee last year and this year. Mine is only 1144 baht on a 5.72 million valued property

Edited by Pattaya57

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

First off, the fee has always been 0.02% of their calculated property value. With you saying your tax is 7,500 baht that means a property value of 37.5 million baht?

I was never charged anything before 2020 (had Condo since 2009), I had significantly reduced fees 2021/22 (less than 100 baht) and had full fee last year and this year. Mine is only 1144 baht on a 5.72 million valued property

Please read the title, this is a house not a condo and the 0.02% is irrelevant as the calculation is largely based on the size of your plot of land, which you don't have.

Edited by Guderian
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Please read the title, this is a house not a condo and the 0.02% is irrelevant as the calculation is largely based on the size of your plot of land, which you don't have.

Think you need to google. Many sites say since 1 Jan 2020 the property tax is based on 0.02% value of building when you just own the house (up to $40 million baht value).

Note: foreigners obviously cannot own land in Thailand but if someone owns both land and house it's actually more at 0.03% of total value

Here is one example of many sites saying 0.02% of house value is correct (same rate as Condo)

https://www.tilleke.com/insights/new-land-and-building-tax-act-thailand/

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

In the old tax system that was used until 3 or 4 years ago, my tax was also 7500. When the new system was introduced, nominal tax changed to around 300, with 90% discount for first two years. Now around the 300. 

Enjoy while it lasts. Certain that it will go up in future. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, I wasn't aware that there had been a change in the way they calculate it. Looking at the arcane calculation in Thai on the back of the bill, which I never understood under the old system as it seemed to be quite arbitrary, they start with the land plot size, use a nominal value of 30K Baht/talang wah to calculate it value, then invent some numbers, probably for the value of the house (I'll use Google translate on the phone tomorrow and try to work it out), add them to the land value and multiply it by 0.03% to get the tax. Suits me, just about 10% of the old tax.

• Agree 1

That was my reaction 8 years ago when they sent me a bill for 10 years of back taxes that they'd never billed me for! Then they sent me a legal letter which I took to my lawyer and he said they were threatening to ask a court to allow them to seize the house and auction it off if I didn't pay up.

13 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Don’t pay it

Not sure that is an option. In my case, the huse is in a company name and I always believed the tax was paid every time I did the annual 'accounts' . It certainly was not as much as the OP said, 7500, more like 1-2000.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Guderian said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware that there had been a change in the way they calculate it. Looking at the arcane calculation in Thai on the back of the bill, which I never understood under the old system as it seemed to be quite arbitrary, they start with the land plot size, use a nominal value of 30K Baht/talang wah to calculate it value, then invent some numbers, probably for the value of the house (I'll use Google translate on the phone tomorrow and try to work it out), add them to the land value and multiply it by 0.03% to get the tax. Suits me, just about 10% of the old tax.

Last week, I had a couple of the Land and House tax bills, and here on Samui it is still calculated by land size and whether or not there is a house there.

Edited by Tropicalevo

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure that is an option. In my case, the huse is in a company name and I always believed the tax was paid every time I did the annual 'accounts' . It certainly was not as much as the OP said, 7500, more like 1-2000.

I used to pay 7,500 baht Land and House tax years ago (20 years or more?). Then it stopped.

Below is a bill that has just been paid for a friend.

Bought the land in 2022, the house was completed in 2024.

(It is big house.)

1 Land and House tax Y2024 4,512.00
2 Land and House tax Y2023 2,876.40
3 Land and House tax Y2022 2,010.10

20 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I used to pay 7,500 baht Land and House tax years ago (20 years or more?). Then it stopped.

Heading in the wrong direction. I believe my home depreciates annually on the books but my tax was up this year too.

Here's a new wrinkle. The tax has come down a lot, but the bill they sent me has a QR code and a bar code that don't work. I tried paying via the SCB app on my phone using the QR code, and the payment amount is right as is the reason, but the payee details are missing. So I took it to the 7-eleven to see if they had better luck with the bar code, and no they didn't. I remembered I was told before Covid that you could only pay it at a branch of their bank, Krung Thai, so this morning I popped down to the branch on Thepprasit. I showed the greeter the bill and said I wanted to pay it, but she just showed me a piece of paper with 'Go to Pattaya CIty Hall' written on it in English. Evidently, I'm far from being the only person with a bill that has codes that don't work. I see no reason to drag myself across to Pattaya City Hall and sweat for an hour in their non-air-conditioned billing section, so I'm not going to pay it this year. That might give them an incentive next year to do things properly, incompetent idiots.

16 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Evidently, I'm far from being the only person with a bill that has codes that don't work. I see no reason to drag myself across to Pattaya City Hall and sweat for an hour in their non-air-conditioned billing section, so I'm not going to pay it this year. That might give them an incentive next year to do things properly, incompetent idiots.

As if they care about what lesson you're trying to send them, you'll just have an overdue bill.

My QR code has never worked so I've had to visit city hall every time to pay. It's never taken more than 10 minutes so no big deal

• Thanks 1