Where To Buy House In Chiang Mai?

scorecard

Have longer term plan to move family from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

Have already completed school search and have decided on Varee school. (Please no comments, Varee suits our purpose, budget etc., we have visited the school and we're happy with what we observed and discussed.)

I've been reading lots about bad traffic in Chiang Mai and have experienced it on numerous other visits.

So, can I please ask CM members to share some suggestions of where to buy a house, so that the school commute is not too arduous (using family car). Current wish-list is for:

- Housing village with security, pool etc. Not super luxury, just comfortable. Hopefully a village where the upkeep on facilities etc., is good, and the monthly/yearly village fees for security, lighting, facilities maintenance is reasonable.

- Hopefully closer to the mountain areas.

- Hopefully an area which is well served by public transport, and not too far from Lotus, Big C or similar.

Your comments and advice appreciated. Thanks.

I would look into a place roughly in the area of that very soi where Varee is at (soi just before you get to Varee); if you cross the bridge then you get to another soi (right turn) that ends up on the Old Lamphun road near 89 Plaza. That road has a housing development on hit.

If not that one then I'd look into other places in that general area, so roughly in between Mahidol Road and the next ring road. Or just generally the area of the old lamphun road. Something on or not far from the Middle Ring (the one with the underpasses) would work too, because you get to use that soi that ends up at Varee. That's the soi that starts from the Middle Ring just West of the bridge across the railway line. No traffic to speak of around there.

Here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...038581&z=15 NB: You can probably also take the road alongside the railway track; no traffic of any significance there as well.

So in summary, anything with easy access to the Middle Ring will do.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I would look into a place roughly in the area of that very soi where Varee is at (soi just before you get to Varee); if you cross the bridge then you get to another soi (right turn) that ends up on the Old Lamphun road near 89 Plaza. That road has a housing development on hit.

If not that one then I'd look into other places in that general area, so roughly in between Mahidol Road and the next ring road. Or just generally the area of the old lamphun road. Something on or not far from the Middle Ring (the one with the underpasses) would work too, because you get to use that soi that ends up at Varee. That's the soi that starts from the Middle Ring just West of the bridge across the railway line. No traffic to speak of around there.

Here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...038581&z=15 NB: You can probably also take the road alongside the railway track; no traffic of any significance there as well.

Thanks Winnie... appreciated.

What price range are you looking for?

Stating you are looking for a house could mean anything?

First thoughts... 3.5Million Baht, hopefully fully established with at least main furniture items some air conditioners etc., but not sure whether this is realistic.

Thanks Winnie... appreciated.

well, also depends on what you consider "arduous" commute. If you are moving up from BKK, your standards may vary greatly from long time locals.

I just moved here (in august) from SFO, where i commuted 25 mintues to Berkeley every day. My kid goes to CMIS and we got a home in San Kamphaeng, because it suited our needs, size, price, security, and only 10 mins from Carrefour and 20 minutes from school ... once you get on the ring roads (depending on time of day) almost anywhere is easily accessible...

we have been considering buying a home and so we have been driving ring roads like crazy, at different times of days to see traffic and 121 strikes me a too many big trucks, 11 is good, but really heavily travelled at peak times and outer ring road seems like a suitable in-between choice.

Unless you are going to rent without seeing the house and trying the traffic, i recommend staying in a hotel (or with friends if possible) for a few days and check out the different drives. From almost any mooban your kid can get a van to school, so it is the kid commuting, not necessarily you....depending on their age, of course. I won't let my 6 yr old in some of those overcrowded vans that really can speed around town.

.. but when they turn 10 it's okay? :)

one more thing to add could be that once you get to know the town you really rarely experience heavy traffic anymore. A lot of people from Bangkok visit around the holidays and then they all go to Doi Suthep and see the pandas at the same time, thus turning Huay Kaew and the Rincome intersection into a parking lot. Then they sigh and say "traffic in Chiang Mai is just like Bangkok" without realizing they just brought their traffic jam with them.

I commute 16 km to work everyday and I do that without touching the brakes.. And that's around 8:30am. Almost no traffic.

I agree... even in just 4 months here, we have cut down our travel times significantly, just by going exploring, daring to try a new route on a whim and also by asking some of our new acquaintances how to get about town.

as for the 10 yr old... sometimes we end up behind a songthiew with my daughter's classmate hanging out the rear, in the last seat in the row... he too is 6.... it makes me wonder.... thai driving techniques and customs of how they fill up those vans/cars/songthiews....

we bought a brand new car and went for the ABS and airbags and some folks laughed. My thai wife lived in USA for 6 yrs and child safety is a top priority for us... to each their own.

Have a look at Mooban Siriwattana just at the main corner between Airport road and Chiang Mai-Lamphun road, or San Parian real estate.

It'svery near Varee, very convenient for everything Big C, Carrefour, Lotus, Robinson, Airport, and the city center. Everyting at about 10 min.

I live myself in Siriwattana and the daughter of my wife used to learn in Varee for 3 years.

You are welcome to contact me if you wish.

There are half a dozen new developments within 5km that you could choose from although 3.5m is probably a little on the low side. Explore the area between the school and the 2nd Ring Road on the San Kamphaeng road (no traffic problems coming in and out that way) and as someone said, also around behind the school although there's nowhere with a pool as well as high profile security.

Palm Springs has everything you want and one or two older properties may be possible for the kind of money you're thinking of but will be in need of fixing up. Maintenance may be a little on the high side but I understand you get what you pay for there. Five minutes from the school though.

I agree... even in just 4 months here, we have cut down our travel times significantly, just by going exploring, daring to try a new route on a whim and also by asking some of our new acquaintances how to get about town.

as for the 10 yr old... sometimes we end up behind a songthiew with my daughter's classmate hanging out the rear, in the last seat in the row... he too is 6.... it makes me wonder.... thai driving techniques and customs of how they fill up those vans/cars/songthiews....

we bought a brand new car and went for the ABS and airbags and some folks laughed. My thai wife lived in USA for 6 yrs and child safety is a top priority for us... to each their own.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Like 'zippydedodah' my family has great concerns for safety, and our plan is to always drive my granddaughter to school and home. Luckily we have enough adults in the family who can take turns where needed to do the driving.

Here is Bangkok you often see minivans full of very small kids with totally crazy drivers who would be barred from driving in many countries.

For some years I worked at Map TA Phut and often saw open song thaos recklessly speeding along the main highway overloaded with quite small kids and no supervison. And there was one case where the driver had stopped at a roadside bar and was drinking whisky and the pick-up full of kids just left sitting on the side of the road. Plus there has been a tragedy with the same matter in our extended family, so no school buses etc., for us.

I commute 16 km to work everyday and I do that without touching the brakes.. And that's around 8:30am. Almost no traffic.

Follow-up to self: I thought I may have been over-stating this so I actually took note this morning.. Indeed never touched the brakes until pulling into the office parking lot. I dropped out of 5th gear down to 3rd twice, when slowing down for traffic lights but wanting to keep the car rolling. (Hyper-miling is fun. :) )

On the way back it's even easier because there's no traffic lights, only left turns. :D