Credit Card Fees & Transaction Fees

califdann

I guess that it is pretty standard and expected to get the additional 4% fee added to the bill when using your credit card in LOS. At least I expect it. But in addition, my Credit Card Company (Bank of America) is adding a "Foreign Transaction Fee", which shows up as "Transaction Fee FINANCE CHARGE" on my billing. Anyone else have these added charges? And, more importantly, can anyone point me to a credit card that does not levy these additional charges?

Thanks

Califdann

If the business wants to add the credit charges (which I understand, especially on low profit margin items), it should not be more then 3%, as the banks charge them slightly less then this amount (actually 2.5%, on which then 7% vat is added).

Making an extra 1% profit if people pay with plastic is taking the piss IMO.

This is for visa/master card, American express is indeed more expensive and hence you'll often not be able to pay with AE...

I have a Thai Visa Card and it states clearly somewhere in the fine print that I pay guaranteed not extra compared to a cash purchase. IF a shop tries to charge 3% extra, I call the call center, pass the phone to the shop attendant and the call center explains them what "blacklisting" could mean for their business. No more talking of extra charges after that. :)

I have a Thai Visa Card and it states clearly somewhere in the fine print that I pay guaranteed not extra compared to a cash purchase. IF a shop tries to charge 3% extra, I call the call center, pass the phone to the shop attendant and the call center explains them what "blacklisting" could mean for their business. No more talking of extra charges after that. :D

I Like it :)

most persistent case was the DHL shop in Pattaya. Only after taking photos of the staff, the shop and talking on the phone to the call center at the same time, the charges were waived.

The e-mail address of the DHL Regional Manager is published on their webpage...well....his name [email protected] works for most large organizations. He is aware of the case and replied to me in no time, copying in the Managers in charge asking them to sort this issue NOW. :)

most persistent case was the DHL shop in Pattaya. Only after taking photos of the staff, the shop and talking on the phone to the call center at the same time, the charges were waived.

The e-mail address of the DHL Regional Manager is published on their webpage...well....his name [email protected] works for most large organizations. He is aware of the case and replied to me in no time, copying in the Managers in charge asking them to sort this issue NOW. :)

The charges for CC's and DC's is something from the seller.

A credit card provider charges a certain %-age to the shop for using their services. As far as I know, only VISA-Mastercard, doesn't allow the shop-owners to charge extra on top of the purchase price. BTW their %-age is 3%.

AmEx allows shopowners to charge extra, or at least they don't prohibit to do so. AmEx charges 4%.

What p*sses me off, is that some shopowners, add 3% on purchass paid be a Thai bank DEBET-card.