Printer Ink Refills

Wentworth

I've got fed up with trying to refill my printer ink cartridges with a syringe, as recommended by my local so called computer expert. It's a wee bit messy and the printer obviously doesn't like it as the pages are just smudged even if I wipe the cartridge. It's an HP all in one and I'm told that you can't get those tanks fitted to the outside. I've decided to bite the bullet and see about buying one that has the tanks fitted. it's a pity as the printer is about 3 years old and works fine, just a very heavy burden on the pocket for new cartridges.

What I'd like to know is; do you have to change the cartridge every so often or never again? Also, I'd appreciate advice about which make to go for. A local decent computer shop owner turns his nose up at anything other than Canon - but my Thailand inherited cynicism puts that down to commission.

Lastly, how about getting rid of the old printer? I guess that even charities probably wouldn't want it as the cartridges are so expensive.

You are never wrong giving in to cynical attitude.

No matter which brand you will buy, one thing is certain:

Any brand 'original' refill of black cartridge (they always go faster) will cost you anywhere from 25% to 40% of the whole new printer together with its cartriges.

I do not know the logic behind this, except getting you 'hooked' on a brand and milking you for money as a cow.

Cheers.

Ink will always be the real cost of a printer. I was trained as a printer tech and had my own computer shop for a few years. We stocked Canon, as well as Brother and HP plotters, and I visited the works in Japan for a couple of weeks a few years back. What was made obvious was that they had many models on the back burner that they trot out when sales slow down. And I mean years ahead! It is also interesting to see how many printers are made by Canon. I saw Apple, Brother and Canon Lasers all coming off the same line. The Caon idea was that they wanted the printers to be as cheap as possible and make the money on the inks. I do prefer the Canon as a rule but am running an HP at the moment.

I had an Epson before this and gave it to my brother. I then picked up a "silo" system of ink tanks for him from Pantip Plaza. Fantasic value and he seems very happy with it all. Can't comment on ink quality but I have heard no complaints. However, if you are into good quality photographic results my experience is that the proprietory inks are richer and will probably last better.

Fitting tanks only provides a bigger supply of ink it does not diminish the need to replace the cartridge. The tank feeds ink to the cartridge and if you start with new ones eventually they will fail. All you are doing with the tanks is feeding ink to the cartridge via a small tube and not a syringe eliminating the re-fill every so often

I have had my share of problems with my Brother printer, I believe due to having those ink bottles attached. It is not so much the bottles but the quality of the ink in them. At present it won't print one of the colours and two repair shops tell me it needs a new print head at a cost of 3,000 Baht. My answer to that is I am going to buy an HP model where the genuine ink cartrides only cost 320 Baht each. If any problems with print heads then at least I can afford new ones.

I've had two Epson printers (the type that print directly onto discs) fitted with external ink bottles and have been happy with both of them.

I know that people have had issues in the past over colours being slightly different when refilling with different inks but last time I bought inks was over two years ago. I bought large bottles of inks and, yes, I did have to adjust the colour levels slightly to get the same colour prints as the original Epson cartridges gave but after that I just refill when needed and as it's the same ink there's no need for any more adjustments. If it takes one adjustment every 2-3 years when I have to buy new replacement inks I can put up with that (the printer'll probably wear out first :) ).

I think people who complain about varying print colours are the ones who either have their cartridges refilled (where different inks are used each time) or use cheap replacement cartridges (that again have different inks with each new cartridge).

Personally I've never had a problem with the cartridges getting blocked but I know of one friend who has. Maybe I have just been lucky with the quality of ink I bought, I don't know, maybe my mate was just unlucky.

I had ink tanks fitted to my Canon MP460 printer after getting fed up being ripped off for ink cartridges. I had them done by a guy at Zeer, Rangsit. Cost, including ink, 700baht. I've had them around 3 months now, and so far, no problems.

Many thanks for the replies. I don't print that often but my wife has a small business and has these surges every now and then. I am weighing up if it's worthwhile having a printer at all and just nipping to a copy shop, but it's a real pain sometimes. I wonder if the need to print often is perhaps a case of using the 'proper' ink. I haven't looked at the price of proper ink bottles but wonder if it's worth getting some for the tanks. Is it right that the warranties are invalidated if we use the tanks?

Many thanks for the replies. I don't print that often but my wife has a small business and has these surges every now and then. I am weighing up if it's worthwhile having a printer at all and just nipping to a copy shop, but it's a real pain sometimes. I wonder if the need to print often is perhaps a case of using the 'proper' ink. I haven't looked at the price of proper ink bottles but wonder if it's worth getting some for the tanks. Is it right that the warranties are invalidated if we use the tanks?

The tanks, and their own cartridges, are detachable so keep some old cartridges then if you have to have the printer repaired under warranty put them in first.

• 2 weeks later...